US Supreme Court conservatives question Biden student debt relief

9 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Classic liberal nonsense.  Schools are too expensive so let's forgive loans instead of focusing on how to make schools more affordable.  

Once again, the student loan issue isn’t near the disgusting tragedy that PPP loan forgiveness was. $900 billion to mostly wealthy people who didn’t need it and then people cry about $300 billion or so for student loan forgiveness. :lmao:

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Classic liberal nonsense.  Schools are too expensive so let's forgive loans instead of focusing on how to make schools more affordable.  

If you look at the historic costs of a college education.  The serious acceleration happened when the govt became the guarantor of the vast majority of loans. Why would the schools constrain cost when the money is free flowing and guaranteed. 

In the real world we could look at they ROI of a history major and say I won't or can't lend you 200k because paying it back is unlikely and unreasonable. Underwriters should look at student loans just like a mortgage. 

2 years at a tech school and my boy is making money hand over fist as a plumber... to the point he refuses to work on weekends and plans a 3 day weekend per month.

• Like 2

So what is the deal now?  My son, who while student loan forgiveness was being used at a vote getter, paid off all his debt (He's 26, employed, got a $2/hr raise today, and doing super well at his place of business).  Now that this crock of shit idea that was never going to happen, the payments are coming back to life.  

What he has heard is they (Law makers in DC) are now going to retroactively add the interest to the balances.  I don't know if this is finalized, but wow, they are really sticking it to these kids after telling them they will have loan forgiveness, and now not only will the payments kick back in, but they are going to assess them back interest on these loans!  

Anyone know anything about this?

On 5/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, Deephaven said:

agree, but neither side has focused upon making state college tuitions more reasonable 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

What he has heard is they (Law makers in DC) are now going to retroactively add the interest to the balances. 

That's a crock of shit.  They suspended the payments so no interest should be incurred during the time of their stupidity.

38 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

agree, but neither side has focused upon making state college tuitions more reasonable 

That was my point and what they should focus on.  Sad really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

That's a crock of shit.  They suspended the payments so no interest should be incurred during the time of their stupidity.

That's what I told him... That makes no sense. 

• Like 1