he done run out of lake.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Body of missing snowmobiler found after crash on Rangeley Lake

RANGELEY (WGME) -- The Maine Warden Service says the body of a missing snowmobiler from Connecticut was found Wednesday.

Wardens say 43-year-old Stephen J. Rogers of Milford, Connecticut died in a crash on Rangeley Lake Saturday night.

Rogers was using a loaner snowmobile while his was being repaired at Oquossic Marine.

He was reported missing when he didn't return to pick up his snowmobile on Tuesday.

• Sad 2

If any trace of alcohol was in his blood, or if witnesses reported him having drinks before this, wardens always use that as a factor in the crash.  While it may have been, some of the details that are never remembered later was

1.  It was not his snowmobile

2. He was on a lake.  Who knows if he was familiar with the area, or if there was ice and the snowmobile may not have had studs. 

But the only thing remembered in the stats will be the fact that alcohol was involved.   Snowmobiles are dangerous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

If any trace of alcohol was in his blood, or if witnesses reported him having drinks before this, wardens always use that as a factor in the crash.  While it may have been, some of the details that are never remembered later was

1.  It was not his snowmobile

2. He was on a lake.  Who knows if he was familiar with the area, or if there was ice and the snowmobile may not have had studs. 

But the only thing remembered in the stats will be the fact that alcohol was involved.   Snowmobiles are dangerous.

Drinking and riding is dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He ended up 150’ into the woods so much so no one noticed for over a day. Russell Cove is not a desolate area it’s on the edge of town. I know that area very well as we have a camp there. 
alcohol and speed led to his death. He was on a loaner Polaris from Oquossic Marine as they are known for their excellent service and loaning sleds when yours is in for repairs.

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

He ended up 150’ into the woods so much so no one noticed for over a day. Russell Cove is not a desolate area it’s on the edge of town. I know that area very well as we have a camp there. 
alcohol and speed led to his death. He was on a loaner Polaris from Oquossic Marine as they are known for their excellent service and loaning sleds when yours is in for repairs.

It's a very sad event. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Matt said:

I hate unfamiliar lakes...  Even crossing our own lake, which I know every inch of, I've gotten lost crossing at night in snow showers.

That is where the 7s display is so frickin handy.  Last year we stayed on Lake Delta in the middle of that 2foot blizzard that they got.  I dropped a bread crumb on the 7s display the first time I got on tthe lake and I got us back to that spot everynight.  Fucking awesome!!  Just did the same on Namakagon.  Cabin didn't have any outside lights so when I got on the lake in front of it I dropped a bread crumb.  Takes all the guess work out of it!!

10 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

That is where the 7s display is so frickin handy….  Takes all the guess work out of it!!

When it works, mine is prone to locking up. Pretty useless then. I could never trust my life on it.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I hate unfamiliar lakes...  Even crossing our own lake, which I know every inch of, I've gotten lost crossing at night in snow showers.

had a bad experience on my lake.  aimed for the wrong light which was never on and skimmed with my 7 year old on the back and got tossed coming off on the ridge.  

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

had a bad experience on my lake.  aimed for the wrong light which was never on and skimmed with my 7 year old on the back and got tossed coming off on the ridge.  

Yikes... fortunately we don't have open water, but our lake is long and fairly narrow.  We didn't have lights to navigate but I thought I was following the shoreline when suddenly there were trees in front of me.  Fortunately I wasn't going very fast since I knew conditions stunk.  I had to putt along the shore for a while before I realized I was on the completely opposite shore in a bay.  Blowing wind had turned me a bit even though I swore I was driving perfectly straight.  Completely sober.  It's so easy to see how drunks die...

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I've gotten lost on Ossipee during the day in a white out. Left from Westward Shores and the storm cane in from behind me shortly after getting on the lake. I finally ended up at the far end of Long Sands. I have no idea how close I was to the mouth of the Pine river.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

55 minutes ago, ckf said:

I've gotten lost on Ossipee during the day in a white out. Left from Westward Shores and the storm cane in from behind me shortly after getting on the lake. I finally ended up at the far end of Long Sands. I have no idea how close I was to the mouth of the Pine river.

We had the same thing happen on Mooselookmegentic Lake. We got caught in a heavy squall crossing about midway on a 4 mile cross. I was leading 6 and lost the trail I just stopped and waited it out. Scary shit.

• Like 1