Honda to Exit U.S. Lawn Mower Market, Continue EU Production

• Platinum Contributing Member

According to an Oct. 3 announcement posted to the Honda dealer Interactive Network, Honda will end its lawn mower production by September 2023 and left over inventory will be offered in 2024 until it is sold out.

The statement from Honda Power Sports & Products said the company plans to discontinue production of lawn mowers at its North Carolina manufacturing facility in September 2023 and move all-terrain vehicle production there from its South Carolina facility. The South Carolina facility will "solely focus on Honda side-by-side production."

"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

My Honda mower is the BOMB...quiet, powerful, great bagger, will fucking idle if I let go of the handle to move a stick. Composite deck.

Unfortunately for Honda, it will last forever. 

My Honda Snowblower is a fantastic tool as well! I wouldn’t be surprised to see them exit that market as well. Honda makes fantastic engines. 

From an oem side Honda has a been a complete bitch to deal with for a decade. Everyone was dropping them like flies because they act like kings to allow you to use their engines on equipment. They would also spec hp in Japan, re tune them for the us and they would be way under powered when the arrived. It doesn’t surprise me they are exiting the power equipment business with all the electric crap coming out. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

From an oem side Honda has a been a complete bitch to deal with for a decade. Everyone was dropping them like flies because they act like kings to allow you to use their engines on equipment. They would also spec hp in Japan, re tune them for the us and they would be way under powered when the arrived. It doesn’t surprise me they are exiting the power equipment business with all the electric crap coming out. 

Who cares what they do? Their stuff just plain works and never dies. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Lol their stuff is shit now. No one is using it. Their old stuff was good. The reason why are getting out of the business. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Honda makes good equipment, also expensive. I can assure you that their equipment does break, it does blow up, and it does die. 

They probably are getting out of the industry because they fucked over all their dealers during COVID and their dealer dropped their line of equipment and refused to work on it if it was bought from a box store. Honda had a great idea there, let's only give the box stores out equipment and ship none to dealers, but then let's have the dealers fix them.. Dealer says Fuck You Honda 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Honda makes good equipment, also expensive. I can assure you that their equipment does break, it does blow up, and it does die. 

They probably are getting out of the industry because they fucked over all their dealers during COVID and their dealer dropped their line of equipment and refused to work on it if it was bought from a box store. Honda had a great idea there, let's only give the box stores out equipment and ship none to dealers, but then let's have the dealers fix them.. Dealer says Fuck You Honda 

Home Depot sells “John Deere” ( mtd junk with green paint) lawn mowers up here, then expects dealers to fix them under warranty.

Corporate cunts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Of course they break. Anything mechanical does. I’m not a dealer so none of that matters to me. What matters is what happens with I pull the rope. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Of course they break. Anything mechanical does. I’m not a dealer so none of that matters to me. What matters is what happens with I pull the rope. 

Well it will/would matter to you when you pull the rope and your equipment doesn't start and you can't find a dealer to fix it. The Home Depot isn't exactly known for its quality small engine repair business. SMH..

Ik ow you're going to say next "I'll just buy the part off Amazon and fix it myself I don't need a repair shop". 

My reply to that is what if the unit is under warranty and should be repaired at no charge.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Home Depot sells “John Deere” ( mtd junk with green paint) lawn mowers up here, then expects dealers to fix them under warranty.

Corporate cunts.

JD has been doing that for 30+ years with their lawn and garden. Their compact and sub compact tractors are not built by them as well. Also MTD does not exists anymore 

Honda is the Yamaha of the power equipment world. They don’t sell enough to see as many come through the shop vs other brands. You changed the oil and keep anything clean in that business it will last a long time. We saw zero reliability issues switching from a Honda powered unit to a Subaru powered 15 years ago. That California law suite is the reason we got rid of them. They would fuck around and find out. We would find out when it when it got here and it wasn’t right. And we didn’t give a shit about emissions

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve got a Honda pressure washer and mower in storage. Might need them for this summer. House prices are coming down fast  :) 

wish that was the case here.  I don;t care if prices rise or fall i just wish there was business.  absolutely no inventory right now means instead of closing 4-6 million a month we are doing less than 2

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Well it will/would matter to you when you pull the rope and your equipment doesn't start and you can't find a dealer to fix it. The Home Depot isn't exactly known for its quality small engine repair business. SMH..

Ik ow you're going to say next "I'll just buy the part off Amazon and fix it myself I don't need a repair shop". 

My reply to that is what if the unit is under warranty and should be repaired at no charge.

And then you start a thread on a "Snowmobile" website asking if anyone has the part number............... :lolz:

beer_cheers.gif.eaaa362963b1c160b26c05c958226b6c.gif

49 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

And then you start a thread on a "Snowmobile" website asking if anyone has the part number............... :lolz:

beer_cheers.gif.eaaa362963b1c160b26c05c958226b6c.gif

And then they bring it to a dealer like I was. O where did you buy it?? Home Depot? ok back of the line. I will work on it when I have time as we have a 5 week lead time. Same game as the snowmobile dealers do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

wish that was the case here.  I don;t care if prices rise or fall i just wish there was business.  absolutely no inventory right now means instead of closing 4-6 million a month we are doing less than 2

I was wondering about that.

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I’ve been watching inventory and prices. Draw a line straight down the country from the west side of South Dakota south. Prices have been falling westward. In some areas quite a bit. 

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

They’re really isn’t much that I can’t work on when it comes to lawn and garden. My old Stihl 026 saw developed a hard start issue. I bought it new almost 30 years years ago. It needs a complete makeover. Either that or I move to an electric saw. I never buy parts off Amazon or eBay for engine stuff. I always get factory parts. I once bought a pulse pipe and fuel line off Amazon for the saw and it failed within 2 months. The vibration cracked both pieces. Always use factory. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

They’re really isn’t much that I can’t work on when it comes to lawn and garden. My old Stihl 026 saw developed a hard start issue. I bought it new almost 30 years years ago. It needs a complete makeover. Either that or I move to an electric saw. I never buy parts off Amazon or eBay for engine stuff. I always get factory parts. I once bought a pulse pipe and fuel line off Amazon for the saw and it failed within 2 months. The vibration cracked both pieces. Always use factory. 

If you don’t need a saw often or a really big saw the electric ones are pretty nice and handy