2024 releases thoughts and take aways

SKI-DOO put the cards on the table.  The turbo with meth will be interesting.  Curious to read up on it.  I know two guys that I'm sure will be ordering them.  

An interesting note is the Renegade moving heavily to the 4 stroke 900.  From what I seen the only Renegade way you could get a 2 stroke in was the Enduro model.

Edited by Doug

They say "water injection", and it reminds me of fighter planes in WW II that were water injection (and also turbo-, super- or turbo-supercharged).  Those fighters were expected to fly above the freezing altitude on pretty much every mission, so they must've been running a mixture, not pure water.  They still called it water injection, though.

So, is Ski Doo's system a methanol blend of some kind?

9 hours ago, p51mstg said:

They say "water injection", and it reminds me of fighter planes in WW II that were water injection (and also turbo-, super- or turbo-supercharged).  Those fighters were expected to fly above the freezing altitude on pretty much every mission, so they must've been running a mixture, not pure water.  They still called it water injection, though.

So, is Ski Doo's system a methanol blend of some kind?

Yes basically windshield washer fluid.

• Like 1

• Gold Member

So where are they gonna pack on that stuff in?  I guess there is probably room where the recoil rope was.  You know that skidoo engineering.  Get rid of something so important like a recoil to make room for a complicated water injection system....  Fer fucks sake....

Water injection with turbo systems is far from brand new technology, it's just new for snowmobiles.  The tank is under the seat at the back and it only uses water when there is a long WOT pull.  Riders like dumstad will never use any so the one fill they get from the dealer will last forever....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Water injection with turbo systems is far from brand new technology, it's just new for snowmobiles.  The tank is under the seat at the back and it only uses water when there is a long WOT pull.  Riders like dumstad will never use any so the one fill they get from the dealer will last forever....

Guys I ride with that also tractor pull were injecting windshield washer fluid 25-30 years ago.  What the meth system is doing is basically taking the place of an inner cooler.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Premium said:

They're saying the meth injection route is a weight thing but in my mind it doesn't seem much lighter than an intercooler.  I think the main benefits are in the packing of the sled.

My thought also it would be hard to package an intercooler.  What is a little toughy is the meth comes on as needed so there needs to be a clear coordinated signal to turn it on and turn it off.

The new 850 Turbo's look good, but are way overpriced IMHO, even with all the new tech and advancements.
I don't expect that Polaris and Ski-Doo are going to offer major HP improvements in the coming years, 110-120MPH out of the box is really hitting the limiter for what most people need.  Even though these are just little altitude Turbo's pushing 4 or so PSI, thats enough to keep the big power guys happy.
With 300-400HP capable/doable out of a 998, I think the industry has adjusted for the future as sleds don't need to be anywhere near that or capable of that for 99% of riders.

2024 is going to be a very interesting year. 
I think Cat wins sled of the year in 2024.

3 hours ago, stinkipinki said:

2024 is going to be a very interesting year. 
I think Cat wins sled of the year in 2024.

If they do then that's great, means they managed to release something new that works but not holding my breath.

By all accounts the new Doo 2 Stroke Turbo is sold out, apparently a limited first year build

Edited by oldslowsledder

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Friend just text me that each dealer in getting 2 Ski-Doo turbo's.  He bought one at $24,500 OTD.  He asked about delivery and was told to keep your old sled until it comes in.

Yeah I actually called my dealer this morning, have been on the fence about one. They are a large volume dealer and were only allotted 6, sold them all the first morning. Many dealers, as you said, were only allowed 2