Old snowmobile pictures thread

ckf

21 minutes ago, XCR INDY said:

Is it a  bad sign when pics from a vintage sled show become vintage themselves. 

My son and I on my ‘76 at the Whiteout vintage sled show in Weedsport NY almost 20 years ago now. 

EDAD1223-BAFA-4A9B-9CD2-6792BA2FD273.jpeg

I used to go to that, is that what became the Great Whiteout in Fulton?

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we must be close in age. we had the same, plus sand casting, welding, automotive, sheet metal, ceramics

Casting/foundry, welding, sheet metal and machinist stuff, lathe, milling machines, grinders..etc.... :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 976 said:

Who remembers installing Steel Wear Rods on their steel skis?? Then Wear Rods that had a hardened surface on them, someone welded a bead on the wear rod?? Then the game changer....Carbides on the Skags 90* & then 60* carbides?? 

Gas caps that had a dip stick on the cap? Mark the dip stick so you could guess how many gallons of gas and how much oil to mix........ :lolz:

Sno-Stuff Standard Wear Rods - 510-612-PR

2 1/4" Gas OIl Tank Cap w/Removable Dip Stick for ATV Snowmobile 07-287-01  | eBay

My dad said back in the day, they'd take the steel wear rods, grind a flat spot on them, and braze a smallish triangular file onto them and grind off the teeth a bit for ice racing and whatnot.

Hell, even my first couple sleds I got to put plastic ski skins on them. 

Thought it was pretty tits when I put pink ski skins on that 77 Lynx and the pink matched the decals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

I used to go to that, is that what became the Great Whiteout in Fulton?

Yes I think it was called that even then. It was at Rolling wheels speedway outside of Syracuse, they just moved it up to Fulton NY. 

I had an awful addiction to old Polaris sleds over 20 years ago. Still have the family sleds, but sold everything else. 

3 minutes ago, XCR INDY said:

Yes I think it was called that even then. It was at Rolling wheels speedway outside of Syracuse, they just moved it up to Fulton NY. 

I had an awful addiction to old Polaris sleds over 20 years ago. Still have the family sleds, but sold everything else. 

my sister lived down the road from Rolling Wheels, we went for few years, I try to make the Fulton one every year 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

my sister lived down the road from Rolling Wheels, we went for few years, I try to make the Fulton one every year 

Wife and I went in ‘22. They just had the show a couple weeks ago. We thought about going because of low snow to ride in NY. We ended up trucking up to Pittsburg NH to ride. Either direction would be about 4 hours for us. 

2 hours ago, XCR INDY said:

We even had an auto body/ custom painting class at our school .  It was dropped just before I got up there. My older brother took it. I remember him taking in our ‘72 Polaris atx 335 hood, it was supposed to be a custom flame job but looked more like a bunch of bent up pitch forks. :lol:Wish I had a picture. 

My first attempt at flames!!!  :lol:

That little sled ripped, it was very competitive back in the day.  Lot of fun out in the lake with my dad. Got it back out in the 90’s and got it going again. 

8D7DB2CB-5F91-42EE-AE2C-A9D5425901EC.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Project waiting to happen. Something my dad and I started long time ago. Too bad we never got to finish it together

1845747850_PhazerII_2.thumb.jpg.6f4351148c0f556b5243e2edaac08d59.jpg

282224073_PhazerII_1.thumb.jpg.b9f4da1e54fa9561fafdda74c2cf524f.jpg

Nice.  going all out? 
That would stress me the fuck out.  I can’t leave things apart like that.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Nice.  going all out? 
That would stress me the fuck out.  I can’t leave things apart like that.  

In his honor I think I will go all out....On this Phazer II LE  :lol: 

When I moved out west for a number of years the project went idol and then he started misplacing parts. So I have to acquire a bunch of stuff yet. Will end up being way more money put into this then it's worth

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cold War said:

My first attempt at flames!!!  :lol:

That little sled ripped, it was very competitive back in the day.  Lot of fun out in the lake with my dad. Got it back out in the 90’s and got it going again. 

8D7DB2CB-5F91-42EE-AE2C-A9D5425901EC.jpeg

Sabrina Blanchet races ovals on a sled similar to that, she is super fast.

10 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Sabrina Blanchet races ovals on a sled similar to that, she is super fast.

It is a aluminum EXT chassis.  running a couple hundred ram sets in track for picks. 
440 had everything done it.  It would turn every head on the ice when it started up.  Good, clean ice and it would leave the line like a rocket.  Once the ice got tore up it was hard to launch it.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cold War said:

It is a aluminum EXT chassis.  running a couple hundred ram sets in track for picks. 
440 had everything done it.  It would turn every head on the ice when it started up.  Good, clean ice and it would leave the line like a rocket.  Once the ice got tore up it was hard to launch it.  

I see that it looks like a cat now that you mention it, her sled is a Ski-Doo snopro clone I think.

Her 440 free air is 130 hp

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

I was a dealer for Marv, Chopper City, I used to sit in his office and shoot the bull with him, saw that sled run in person.

Yup , known him since 76, bought sleds and had burgers with back when he was still on Lowry . 

• Like 1