Central MN Riding

Sled_Hed

Figured I'd start a thread for this and I can add to it as well as anyone else that wants to. I have been posting pics over in the picture thread as well. Today a buddy from the north metro and myself rode the loop pictured from my place. Gotta love riding during the week. 167 miles and met 8 sleds.

Screenshot_20230209_183301_Polaris.jpg

Snapchat-658329459.jpg

Snapchat-2120545800.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

It was hard as hell here this morning and icey where they had groomed.  Softened up this afternoon, but sleds still didn't want to stay too cool.  

Same thing up here by Emily/Crosslake area. I was regretting not having my scratchers installed. Finally by the end of the day, I was running somewhat normal temps but most of the day I was 25-30 degrees warmer than normal. Today might be ugly … and the end of riding for a while. 

47 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Same thing up here by Emily/Crosslake area. I was regretting not having my scratchers installed. Finally by the end of the day, I was running somewhat normal temps but most of the day I was 25-30 degrees warmer than normal. Today might be ugly … and the end of riding for a while. 

I was wondering what you found up that way. We considered heading towards Emily but opted to turn south towards Deerwood instead of heading up that way on Thursday. 

Edited by Sled_Hed

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

I was wondering what you found up that way. We considered heading towards Emily but opted to turn south towards Deerwood instead of heading up that way on Thursday. 

We were in Deerwood yesterday, too. I guess we’re heading up towards Hill City today & we’ll try to get back somewhat early if the temps get too warm (and the conditions turn to crap). Overall yesterday I’d say things were pretty good - just really hard packed. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bontz said:

We were in Deerwood yesterday, too. I guess we’re heading up towards Hill City today & we’ll try to get back somewhat early if the temps get too warm (and the conditions turn to crap). Overall yesterday I’d say things were pretty good - just really hard packed. 

A friend rode the Hill City area yesterday, but haven’t heard from him about trail conditions.  The southern Grand Rapids club groomed last night, and their trails connect to Hill City.  Their pictures looked really good, considering the warm stretch we’re in.

I need to get my truck today, after hitting a deer on Halloween near Buhl.  So, I won’t be riding.  

There’s a potential for rain and snow mid-week up here, but John Dee seems to think we’ll get hit with real snow the following week.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's the prediction for snow totals by Friday?  I'm hearing that Central/Southern MN is going to get the brunt of the second storm this week, and we're only getting a few inches out of it.  At least, Iowa isn't going to hog all the snow like they've been doing this season!  :bc:

Great weekend out and about in Stearns County.  

Quite a few point and shoot riders blowing corners.

Can't carry speed around a corner (or stay on their side) to save their lives, but can grab every bit of throttle and then some once they get the sled pointed straight.

20230226_153421[1].jpg

• Like 4

A buddy was in the Lawler area last weekend, and rode down to the northern end of Mille Lacs to check out those trails.  Said they were in pretty good shape!  I'm thinking this is some of you posting in this thread, normal stomping grounds...

5 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

A buddy was in the Lawler area last weekend, and rode down to the northern end of Mille Lacs to check out those trails.  Said they were in pretty good shape!  I'm thinking this is some of you posting in this thread, normal stomping grounds...

Yep, I do ride throught that area often since that way or south to isle is the two directions to head from my place.

• Like 1

It's snowing here, but we're on the north end of it.  Looks like maybe an inch so far, but if the groomers get out in the next couple of days, we'll have another good weekend of riding.

I'm jealous - that looks like fun!

What's the story on Malmo?  Does every name in Malmo begin with an M?  Like, Mike's Marine and Machinery?

I've been to Boone's a few times, that's a really cool place - I need to get back there.

4 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I'm jealous - that looks like fun!

What's the story on Malmo?  Does every name in Malmo begin with an M?  Like, Mike's Marine and Machinery?

I've been to Boone's a few times, that's a really cool place - I need to get back there.

You mean Mike's Motors and Marine and Malmo Market lol. Boones is pretty cool, Danny definitely has quite the collection. 

On 3/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, Sled_Hed said:

Another couple great days out riding. Did the hinckley willow river loop on Friday and the other one today.

Screenshot_20230303_215223_Polaris.jpg

Screenshot_20230304_185201_Polaris.jpg

You went right by my little access trail.  We actually went between 7 and 8 the same day because the parallel trail north of it on the map, I never actually saw it.  Not sure if it was proposed trail or whatever.  So then we had to run some rail bed.  And we were low on gas so tried filling up in moose lake and that freaking sucked!  Big cities suck for snowmobiles.  But did discover some really fun trail too 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mnstang said:

You went right by my little access trail.  We actually went between 7 and 8 the same day because the parallel trail north of it on the map, I never actually saw it.  Not sure if it was proposed trail or whatever.  So then we had to run some rail bed.  And we were low on gas so tried filling up in moose lake and that freaking sucked!  Big cities suck for snowmobiles.  But did discover some really fun trail too 

There seems to be a few trails up there that either are no longer or aren't opened up this year. Yes, getting to holiday in moose lake isn't the greatest with a large tar lot to cross that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

There seems to be a few trails up there that either are no longer or aren't opened up this year. Yes, getting to holiday in moose lake isn't the greatest with a large tar lot to cross that's for sure. 

Pretty much any lot this time of year…

57 minutes ago, mnstang said:

It wasn't just a lot it was running straight down some roads with no snow 

What way did you go? We had snow until the little bridge headed to holiday. Sucks that you have to cross the grocery store lot to get to the gas pumps.