Battle of the Little Bighorn

• Platinum Contributing Member

Been watching and listening to a bunch of documentaries and podcasts on this and find it super interesting.  Amazing how timing and the ability for Reno and Benteen's companies to fortify their position let them fend off basically the same group of warriors that wiped out all of Custer's companies.  If both groups were able to link up and fortify their position the outcome may have dramatically different.   

Interesting to how past success in Indian camp raids played into Custer's demise.  Basically in the past when a group charged the village/camp it often shook the organization of the Indian's and chaos would insue allowing a "mop up" group to come in and capture the remaining Indians who didn't flee.   Reno's group was tasked with the charge and Custer's group mop up.   What they didn't realize is the size of the encampment and that this time the warriors would not flee as easily. 

I don't recall learning that in 1874 the Native American's requested $70 million (US govt offered them $6 million) for their lands in and around the black hills and the US govt turned them down. 

Before anyone goes off on some rant let me state clearly up front I think its awful how the US govt handled native American's even though they were slaughtering each other for 100's of years for no different reason "we" conquered them.   Resources.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Human groups conquering other human groups have been going since the dawn of humans and will go on until the lights permanently go out. 

As the Ukrainians are finding out

Just now, steve from amherst said:

As the Ukrainians are finding out

Exactly. This was Russia’s plan all along. The only difference between this time and the 4 other times Putin marched on a country is that the rest of the world didn’t turn their backs on it. Russia will never be the same. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Exactly. This was Russia’s plan all along. The only difference between this time and the 4 other times Putin marched on a country is that the rest of the world didn’t turn their backs on it. Russia will never be the same. 

Neither will Ukraine. It will be a pile of rubble for 25 yrs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Highmark said:

Been watching and listening to a bunch of documentaries and podcasts on this and find it super interesting.  Amazing how timing and the ability for Reno and Benteen's companies to fortify their position let them fend off basically the same group of warriors that wiped out all of Custer's companies.  If both groups were able to link up and fortify their position the outcome may have dramatically different.   

Interesting to how past success in Indian camp raids played into Custer's demise.  Basically in the past when a group charged the village/camp it often shook the organization of the Indian's and chaos would insue allowing a "mop up" group to come in and capture the remaining Indians who didn't flee.   Reno's group was tasked with the charge and Custer's group mop up.   What they didn't realize is the size of the encampment and that this time the warriors would not flee as easily. 

I don't recall learning that in 1874 the Native American's requested $70 million (US govt offered them $6 million) for their lands in and around the black hills and the US govt turned them down. 

Before anyone goes off on some rant let me state clearly up front I think its awful how the US govt handled native American's even though they were slaughtering each other for 100's of years for no different reason "we" conquered them.   Resources.  

Visit the battlefield. It's very interesting. You can walk around and see the markers and get perspective. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, soeaster said:

Visit the battlefield. It's very interesting. You can walk around and see the markers and get perspective. 

Went by there quite a few yrs ago going across 212 on way to yellowstone from Sundance wy. Wish I stopped in.

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Went by there quite a few yrs ago going across 212 on way to yellowstone from Sundance wy. Wish I stopped in.

It's worth it in my opinion. I was pretty young when I was there but it definitely made an impression. I've been working on a plan to get my kids out there just to have them learn and experience the place. It's one thing to read about it or watch it on TV. It's another to walk around the places that these things happened after learning about them. See where the people in the books actually fell. It's a powerful thing but then again, I enjoy learning about history.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soeaster said:

Drove right by it a year ago on our way to Yellowstone. I wanted to stop in but we were driving through one hell of a snowstorm and I just wanted to get where we were going.

This is one of the people that stuck with me.

https://www.nps.gov/libi/learn/historyculture/capt-myles-keogh.htm

Saw where he fell and learned about his horse Comanche. 

https://www.globetrotting.com.au/comanche-the-horse-that-survived-custers-last-stand/

Plus the fact that Tom Custer, the younger brother of George A. Custer, also died at Little Bighorn.

Sorry, like I said, I like history!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soeaster said:

This is one of the people that stuck with me.

https://www.nps.gov/libi/learn/historyculture/capt-myles-keogh.htm

Saw where he fell and learned about his horse Comanche. 

https://www.globetrotting.com.au/comanche-the-horse-that-survived-custers-last-stand/

Plus the fact that Tom Custer, the younger brother of George A. Custer, also died at Little Bighorn.

Sorry, like I said, I like history!

Love History too!   Actually 2 of Custer's brothers died as well as his 18 year old Nephew and brother in law James Calhoun.  

By far my favorite history stop was Gettysburg.   Simply amazing.  

7 hours ago, Highmark said:

Love History too!   Actually 2 of Custer's brothers died as well as his 18 year old Nephew and brother in law James Calhoun.  

By far my favorite history stop was Gettysburg.   Simply amazing.  

Forgot about that, yes. 

I'd love to go to Gettysburg. It's on my bucket list but who knows. 

Jocko Podcast just did a short series on the civil war and they ended at Gettysburg. Really interesting and a different way of telling the story than I've heard in the past. There are more to come but not sure when. Plus, Ken Burns' Civil War is fantastic.