7s gauge functionality - Maps and Smart Phones?

Bontz

OK, I'll be the first to admit I haven't dug into the full functionality of the 7S gauge yet.  I do like the map feature, and I've used the Group Ride stuff on occasion.  But I've now had two people ask me, in the last week, about mapping feature and how to synch rides from the 7S to a phone and/or vice versa.  So for those of you who've done this & can share your experience ... thank you in advance!

From what I can tell, a person needs to actually tether their phone to the 7S, and be signed in to Ride Command on both the gauge and the phone?  And then from there is where you can get into the functions to download or share the rides/maps from device to device?  I came across this video which seems to be pretty good (starting around the 10:30 time and more specifically around the 13:30 time):

Just curious if anyone who's used this has any tips or suggestions for both my use, and others who may be messing around with this stuff.  Thanks

I use the map, text function to meet up with other groups and the group ride.  Really don't plan rides or sinc them just plan a direction and go.  For my wife when she asks how far until we are back I just tell her when the red lines cross we're back.

There's a number of tutorials on YouTube to go through the functions.  

In 2023 the S7 had the maps and current ride both highlighted in blue which was hard to differentiate.  Changed that so the current ride is a different color.

Guys have also experienced the gauge locking up.  I had that happen early on less than 100 miles.  Unplugged the hood applied dielectric grease on the plug and made sure it was plugged in and haven't had any issues since.

Thanks @Doug   I messed around with it a bit earlier tonight, and I'm a lot closer to figuring things out now.  Honestly, I've never really had a need to synch anything up but it's kind of neat to be able to take a day's ride and get it to show up on your phone so you can show riding buddies who may not know exactly what areas were ridden, etc.  I saw how to take a ride that I planned & saved from my phone and had it show up on the 7S ... now I just need to do it the other way around and see if I can get the tracked ride / current ride to go from the 7S to my phone.

Bontz,

I think I found my mistake that lead me to asking if you knew how to get tracked rides from the 7s to the phone.... I had connected my phone via blue tooth and had blue tooth tethering on....but never connected the 7s via my phone's hot spot. Somewhere I had either read or watched a video that made me think blue tooth tether would provide a data connection to do this. And thought that needing the hot spot connection was only for group rides with those without a 7s.... However, I think the hot spot connection is needed to transfer ride info between the 7s and phone. I will try this out in the AM and report back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, taperk600 said:

Bontz,

I think I found my mistake that lead me to asking if you knew how to get tracked rides from the 7s to the phone.... I had connected my phone via blue tooth and had blue tooth tethering on....but never connected the 7s via my phone's hot spot. Somewhere I had either read or watched a video that made me think blue tooth tether would provide a data connection to do this. And thought that needing the hot spot connection was only for group rides with those without a 7s.... However, I think the hot spot connection is needed to transfer ride info between the 7s and phone. I will try this out in the AM and report back.

I've planned rides before offline and the only way I got it loaded was with the USB port and down loaded it.  I've not used that function much at all for what it's worth.  I know not all the 2022 sleds and very few if any 2023 sled have the Wi-Fi function.  My 2022 sled has Wi-Fi and was delivered Feb of 2022 but my 2023 does not.

@Doug Interesting about the wifi. I will have to see if my 23 does in the AM

I am more interested in getting tracked rides off the sled and being able to save with pics of the day on the computer. And maybe share of social media.....

Edited by taperk600
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, taperk600 said:

@Doug Interesting about the wifi. I will have to see if my 23 does in the AM

I am more interested in getting tracked rides off the sled and being able to save with pics of the day on the computer. And maybe share of social media.....

Haven't done that but would think you can save them on a USB.

All I can say is .... there's a helluva lot more to the 7S than I've ever bothered to look into :lol2:  I'd say 95% of my riding is "familiar territory" so even if I use the map - it's just for something to look at and not really need.  Last week, though, when we were doing our saddlebag trip in the U.P. I was using it for function & was glad to have it.  Knowing now, that I could have literally planned our routes and put them on my gauge, I probably would have just to have as a safety net for our leader (he never really needed help, as he had his GPS set up).  I'm heading up towards the Emily / Crosslake MN area later today, and will hopefully use the map function a little more in detail.  That is, assuming the temps don't kill our weekend ... they hit mid 40's up there yesterday, and I see the next couple days continue to be mild.

I still question the extra grand the 7s costs, but man ... it would be hard going back to the standard gauge, even if my main concern is ultimately running temps and fuel level.

• Like 2

Same here @Bontz .... most places I ride I know and have ridden for most of my life. When I used to use my Garmin Nuvi, it was simply to track my rides and save them. Same pretty much for this 7S..... at least so far.

And I agree, my major need for any gauge is engine vitals and fuel level........but this is a nice unit. Especially for OEM. The NS1 I use on the Cats excellent, but the integration with this one is better IMHO. Luckily for me, it was the "standard" gauge on my VR1.... so I didn't "SEE" that $1000 cost :lol2:

PS--- never did get out to the sled today....today slipped away doing wiring in the attic for house renovations............ so will have to try for tomorrow to try to hot spot connection ......

11 hours ago, Bontz said:

All I can say is .... there's a helluva lot more to the 7S than I've ever bothered to look into :lol2:  I'd say 95% of my riding is "familiar territory" so even if I use the map - it's just for something to look at and not really need.  Last week, though, when we were doing our saddlebag trip in the U.P. I was using it for function & was glad to have it.  Knowing now, that I could have literally planned our routes and put them on my gauge, I probably would have just to have as a safety net for our leader (he never really needed help, as he had his GPS set up).  I'm heading up towards the Emily / Crosslake MN area later today, and will hopefully use the map function a little more in detail.  That is, assuming the temps don't kill our weekend ... they hit mid 40's up there yesterday, and I see the next couple days continue to be mild.

I still question the extra grand the 7s costs, but man ... it would be hard going back to the standard gauge, even if my main concern is ultimately running temps and fuel level.

It was 40's by our place in Northern Wisconsin but the trails by us 25 miles East of Eagle River held up good and they are grooming. 

20230209_152833.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Bring this to the top. The latest release is from March 2023 and is SNS7BA.N32306B.  I down loaded this last March and had no lock up issues.  This release also has additional function display options that can be selected displayed.   SNS7BA.N32306B.swu                                                                                                                                     

Here's a link for instructions to update the software and maps https://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/owner-resources/help-center/article/KA-02571/

• Like 3

• 4 months later...