Rock Auto

• Gold Member
38 minutes ago, akvanden said:

I really like rock auto and their prices, just seems the shipping kills it or makes it just the same from anywhere else.

You gotta watch them, the shipping zones change so you need to pay more. Things that were grouped on a larger order suddenly have to ship from separate warehouses if you cut the order down. Also lately their packing of orders sucks, shit gets damaged more often

I get everything from rock auto.  I used to try to use local but paying a premium for inconvenience was getting old. I would be looking up the p/n first anyway. Rock auto has an awsome database. 

You do have to make sure you price check certain items are not cheaper. Watch where you stuff is shipping from. The warehouse close outs have smoking deals too.

Edited by Cwhite138

2 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

You gotta watch them, the shipping zones change so you need to pay more. Things that were grouped on a larger order suddenly have to ship from separate warehouses if you cut the order down. Also lately their packing of orders sucks, shit gets damaged more often

I did need to return one of two Bilstien shocks I had ordered as the sleeve was damaged in transport. The item appeared to be packed well. They did ship out another immediately and paid return shipping. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, akvanden said:

I really like rock auto and their prices, just seems the shipping kills it or makes it just the same from anywhere else.

That was the case with the window switch I bought....same price as Amazon but the shipping was a deal breaker for such a cheap part.

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

My local Napa is fully staffed with cunts. 

Napa is horrible. Overpriced and staffed with minimum wage imbeciles. I’m not sure where all these people are finding ma and pop auto parts stores. Everything is either advance, autozome, Napa, or oreilly’s. They’re all staffed with non-auto world people. 

20 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Napa is horrible. Overpriced and staffed with minimum wage imbeciles. I’m not sure where all these people are finding ma and pop auto parts stores. Everything is either advance, autozome, Napa, or oreilly’s. They’re all staffed with non-auto world people. 

We have a mom and pop auto value in town. I get most of my stuff there. Staffed with dirt track racers so they're all car guys. The local napa and O'Reillys can fuck off

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Keep buying online the few left will keep disappearing. Few good ones around here fisher auto parts, pine motor parts, northern foreign auto parts, even my local independently owned Napa is pretty good. Autozone advance rather just walk never been to oreillys.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, Shifty said:

My local Napa is fully staffed with cunts. 

Was doing a brake job and the boots over the end of the caliper slide pins looked dicey. Went to napa and they couldn't find them in the computer system. I went outside and looked them up with napa online and found them in minutes, went to a different napa to buy them. Will never do anything but buy online and pickup in store at that napa again. 

Edited by Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Cat45 said:

We have a mom and pop auto value in town. I get most of my stuff there. Staffed with dirt track racers so they're all car guys. The local napa and O'Reillys can fuck off

Similar story here. We have an auto value with repair shop attached. One guy has boys that race and the other kid has been a motor head and into mud trucks his whole life. They're usually pretty good. I do still occasionally order from rock auto as well. 

We probably do about 50/50 online and local purchases. Detroit Axle has pretty good pricing on rotors and pads with a good warranty. Also use car-part.com for used stuff. Never have bought from Rock. Most every time I tried to find a part on the site it was either unavailable or more expensive.

8 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Keep buying online the few left will keep disappearing. Few good ones around here fisher auto parts, pine motor parts, northern foreign auto parts, even my local independently owned Napa is pretty good. Autozone advance rather just walk never been to oreillys.

Does Fisher and Northern deliver out your way? My shop is in Nashua been using them for over 30 years.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Gocky said:

Does Fisher and Northern deliver out your way? My shop is in Nashua been using them for over 30 years.

I work in the Nashua area I just live up in the woods the shop uses all those places though. I think fisher might deliver out near my house out of the Milford one? I’ve seen them up this way before. The Peterborough Napa out by my house is pretty good never used the one in Nashua. The only time I really use Napa here is if I forget to get what I need through work at fisher,northern etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

Interstate batteries suck. They used to be good but no more. For the most part, unless you spend big money on a battery they're only good for a couple of years now. 

We have found Northern Batteries last many years, we use them in our Boats.

15 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Unreal. Dropped the oil on my 3.7 transit. Wix filter and pennzoil ultra. $40. 

I use the full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum from natural gas it is good oil no Ash it goes in beautiful color and comes out black as the Ace of Spades which is what you want because it means it's keeping your motor clean on the inside

The local Advance by me is really good - used to be CarQuest, and all the guys that have been working there are at least 10+ year employees and transferred over with the buyout a few years ago - they know me and always give me the "corporate" or "business" pricing on everything I need.  Knowledgeable guys with good recommendations.

34 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

I use the full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum from natural gas it is good oil no Ash it goes in beautiful color and comes out black as the Ace of Spades which is what you want because it means it's keeping your motor clean on the inside

No it means your oil change intervals are too far apart or your engine is worn out:news:

Truth of the matter is the only true when to know when an oil NEEDS changing is by doing an oil analysis as we did on equipment at work but to say 'you want it to be black' is just silly.

17 hours ago, Mainecat said:

If I need a Ford factory part I order from Rock.

Don't forget to add the code "Bongino" in the how did you hear about us field!

16 hours ago, akvanden said:

Need to buy a bunch of stuff to overcome some of the shipping charges.

15 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

lately their packing of orders sucks, shit gets damaged more often

Usually a 50/50 chance something shows up damaged.  Check your filters closely.  If they have any signs of dents, get them swapped out.  They throw a bunch of oil filters in the same box as 15 quarts of transmission fluid and a full set of pads and rotors with a couple air pillows thrown in.  Always comes smashed to shit and I know it before I even order it.  They just end up sending replacements in a separate box at their expense.

14 minutes ago, HSR said:

No it means your oil change intervals are too far apart or your engine is worn out:news:

Ever seen used oil out of a diesel where the lab analysis comes back perfectly normal?

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Ever seen used oil out of a diesel where the lab analysis comes back perfectly normal?

Yes. Have you ever seen perfectly clean looking oil fail?I have on turbine lube oil.

15 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Yup, all the time and on all sorts of fluids, especially diesel fuel.

:bc: My point was just saying "you want your oil black because it shows its cleaning" is a silly statement as a lot of bad things can be the cause of this. My personal vehicles get regular oil changes and are never "black as the ace of spades" and I like it that way :thumb: I have a 2013 ecoboost with only 60k miles so it has had a lot of clean oil dumped out of it. 

9 minutes ago, HSR said:

:bc: My point was just saying "you want your oil black because it shows its cleaning" is a silly statement as a lot of bad things can be the cause of this. My personal vehicles get regular oil changes and are never "black as the ace of spades" and I like it that way :thumb: I have a 2013 ecoboost with only 60k miles so it has had a lot of clean oil dumped out of it. 

I've been running 10k OCI's on my 2015 V6 Accord since new, never tested the oil, but it doesn't use a drop.  

Actually ran the AmsOil by-pass filter setup on a 1995 Accord, that my brother bought brand new.  Between the two of us, we put 300+k on that thing, with 25k OCI's... yeah, it was using a quart every 5-7k or so by that point, but it still ran very good when the front wheel bearings took a shit, and I said I'm done with it.

And yes, color of oil really doesn't mean shit.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1