North Maine Woods

Cat45

Any of you northeast guys know anything about the north maine woods? Looking at a hunting camp thats for sale that offers guided hunting, fishing, and lodging. Looks to me like it's about 4mil acres of mostly private land but is managed for public recreation? Doesn't look like it's motorized recreation friendly though, no atv, motorcycle or horses allowed on the logging rds in the area. Anybody familiar with the area that can give some insight?

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Any of you northeast guys know anything about the north maine woods? Looking at a hunting camp thats for sale that offers guided hunting, fishing, and lodging. Looks to me like it's about 4mil acres of mostly private land but is managed for public recreation? Doesn't look like it's motorized recreation friendly though, no atv, motorcycle or horses allowed on the logging rds in the area. Anybody familiar with the area that can give some insight?

My coworker has a hunting camp west of portage and atv’s are not allowed on the logging roads where his camp is he has to tow to a trail head.

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

My coworker has a hunting camp west of portage and atv’s are not allowed on the logging roads where his camp is he has to tow to a trail head.

Are utvs classified like atvs out there? I'm from wi so it's a totally different "culture" here where most of our hunting and riding is done on public lands

sounds like its on (Burts bees co founder) Roxanne Quimby land or blocked in by her land.  shes against all traditional recreational use of the land.   I would recommend researching  what and where she own land before buying anything up there.       88,000 acres in Maine she donated to become a national monument  blocking access used for generations to access there family lands and cabins.

Edited by old indy
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Are utvs classified like atvs out there? I'm from wi so it's a totally different "culture" here where most of our hunting and riding is done on public lands

I thought I remembered him saying no recreational vehicles at all even sxs. It’s something to do with the logging company that owns all that land doesn’t want them on the roads with the trucks. 100% no atv’s and I’m almost positive he has said no utv’s either. His bud he owns the camp with has a sxs and I thought he has said they both have towed to ride up there. I can ask him more about it at work tomorrow to confirm.

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

I thought I remembered him saying no recreational vehicles at all even sxs. It’s something to do with the logging company that owns all that land doesn’t want them on the roads with the trucks. 100% no atv’s and I’m almost positive he has said no utv’s either. His bud he owns the camp with has a sxs and I thought he has said they both have towed to ride up there. I can ask him more about it at work tomorrow to confirm.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. From the resesrch im doing it's probly not a place I'd want to be. Looks good from the hunting fishing side but no motorized recreation is a no go for me

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Cat45 said:

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. From the resesrch im doing it's probly not a place I'd want to be. Looks good from the hunting fishing side but no motorized recreation is a no go for me

I’ll see what he says and let ya know. I’m not a hunter but the hunting must be good he goes a lot up there. They got a pretty big moose this past fall he goes up for bird hunting and deer too. He brought back a bear couple years ago.

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I don't atv but shin pond village rents sxs all summer long...and I know there is lots of ATVing all over the county.

Baxter state park and Burts bees land is off limits. 

There are atv trails in northern Maine but I assume he is talking about the actual north woods the upper west part of the state where there is nothing and you need a pass to get into like say Deboullie. You ride through the summer checkpoint on sleds on the trail to allagash If my memory is right.

atv trail maps here but as you can see nothing legal to the west https://www.gpstrailmasters.com/content/goomap/atv-map.html

FD79B2BF-A965-4685-9A53-B6BA66D977D8.png

5 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

There are atv trails in northern Maine but I assume he is talking about the actual north woods the upper west part of the state where there is nothing and you need a pass to get into like say Deboullie. You ride through the summer checkpoint on sleds on the trail to allagash If my memory is right.

atv trail maps here but as you can see nothing legal to the west https://www.gpstrailmasters.com/content/goomap/atv-map.html

FD79B2BF-A965-4685-9A53-B6BA66D977D8.png

Are you good with Basecamp and gps trail masters? I have routing questions. 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Are you good with Basecamp and gps trail masters? I have routing questions. 

not really sorry. I just use it on my phone to see trail numbers and towns to get a rough idea. I’m more of a no map go for it and wing it kinda guy.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
On 1/23/2023 at 1:06 PM, Cat45 said:

I asked him this afternoon basically confirmed what I had said and you thought no atv/utv/dirtbikes where his camp is. He said they have rode sleds to the camp though it’s roughly 5 miles off its85.

• Thanks 1