Salesforce: 8.000

Cisco: 4,100

Twitter: 3,700

Carvana: 1,500

DoorDash: 1,250

Salesforce: 1,000

Stripe: 1,000

12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

There’s more tech jobs than available skilled workers. The bigger tech companies grew too fast and for the most part overhired. As a side note, I’m not sure why anyone would be happy about someone losing their job. That’s just fucked up. 

I’d be happy with google , meta etc going bankrupt 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’d be happy with google , meta etc going bankrupt 

Why? Something worse would simply take its place. Everyone knows where these workers are going. CIA, FBI, military, IRS, schools, universities, tech schools, civil engineering firms, air travel.  

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

Why? Something worse would simply take its place. Everyone knows where these workers are going. CIA, FBI, military, IRS, schools, universities, tech schools, civil engineering firms, air travel.  

Idk , I hate them. I hate all the 3 letter agencies and wish them death 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Idk , I hate them. I hate all the 3 letter agencies and wish them death 

Those 87,000 new IRS workers will be easier to find now. The only reason government is hurting for tech workers is they pay like shit and still use a bunch of outdated programs and software. Private industry is always more lucrative. 

16 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Tech employees free rides are coming to an end…. Unfortunate these people likely have no employable attributes and will likely end up on the street.

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/bay-area-layoffs-january-2023-17731719.php

Most tech folks are decent troubleshooters.  One of the most employable skills.

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member

ChatGPT and the likes might make many tech jobs including coders obsolete.  My youngest son is about to graduate with a bs in CIT degree and is pretty concerned.   He's much more on the know about it than me. 

Edited by Highmark

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

ChatGPT and the likes might make many tech jobs including coders obsolete.  My youngest son is about to graduate with a bs in CIT degree and is pretty concerned.   He's much more on the know about it than me. 

I see ChatGPT as a great tool for people to use, but one still has to know and understand how to interact with it.  From what I have seen the response is very verbose, and parsing out parts from a complex request could be a bit time consuming?  :dunno:

Neal

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

I see ChatGPT as a great tool for people to use, but one still has to know and understand how to interact with it.  From what I have seen the response is very verbose, and parsing out parts from a complex request could be a bit time consuming?  :dunno:

Neal

He showed me some stuff regarding his field and it was impressive.   No doubt currently that knowledgeable input helps but I'm sure it will only get better.  His feeling was that eventually it would make few capable of doing the jobs of many.    

Just now, Highmark said:

He showed me some stuff regarding his field and it was impressive.   No doubt currently that knowledgeable input helps but I'm sure it will only get better.  His feeling was that eventually it would make few capable of doing the jobs of many.    

It’s fantastically sophisticated and code centric.  And it will certainly get better.  Throw it in a Boston Dynamics robot and we will have Terminator in a couple weeks!  :lol:

Neal

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Most tech folks are decent troubleshooters.  One of the most employable skills.

Neal

Didn’t i just read articles saying around 40,000 being laid off

15 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Those 87,000 new IRS workers will be easier to find now. The only reason government is hurting for tech workers is they pay like shit and still use a bunch of outdated programs and software. Private industry is always more lucrative. 

Genius!

The snooping skills some of them have will be incredibly valuable to the IRS.

Stupid people post everything from the poop they just took, to the weekend at the cottage online these days. 

Ex facetwat and google employees should be able to do a cursory lifestyle audit on anyone they think isn't being totally honest with Uncle Sam.

They can either get a hundred k on the dole or work for the IRS for similar and make sure everyone pays their taxes.

Winner  winner chicken dinner!!

Edited by Voodoo