Bummer Year So Far...

In Upstate NY it looked like this season was going to start off with a bang, over the course of December we got hammered with a few nice storms, over 50 inches of snow and things looked promising. Then a few days later, it was 45-50 degrees for several days and all of the snow, and I mean all of it, melted.

Tupper Lake has nothing.
Tug Hill is very low.
Nothing in the Saranac region either.
And in my area the same, hardly a few inches.
We are just around 10 days from February and its 34 degrees here and even more is melting.

I'm not a 'sky is falling guy' and I don't care if I ride 200 miles or 1400 in a season, I just like to ride when I can, and my Rush 600 will be bitching when I put on my last few goodies.
But if you got big money into a snowcheck or newer sled, frownie faces for you!

Lots of season left, but the first 6 weeks or so? Not so great.

That's a bummer for you guys.  Here in MN we have been full on winter since about December 2nd, my first official trail ride.  About 6 weeks later the sled is on the stand and completely getting worked over with ~2400 miles thus far.

• Like 2

• Gold Member
18 hours ago, stinkipinki said:

In Upstate NY it looked like this season was going to start off with a bang, over the course of December we got hammered with a few nice storms, over 50 inches of snow and things looked promising. Then a few days later, it was 45-50 degrees for several days and all of the snow, and I mean all of it, melted.

Tupper Lake has nothing.
Tug Hill is very low.
Nothing in the Saranac region either.
And in my area the same, hardly a few inches.
We are just around 10 days from February and its 34 degrees here and even more is melting.

I'm not a 'sky is falling guy' and I don't care if I ride 200 miles or 1400 in a season, I just like to ride when I can, and my Rush 600 will be bitching when I put on my last few goodies.
But if you got big money into a snowcheck or newer sled, frownie faces for you!

Lots of season left, but the first 6 weeks or so? Not so great.

Feel your pain same boat here in sw nh but looks like snow Friday and a couple potentials for next week 🤞. I’m just hoping for enough so the kids can bomb around the yard I can wait I’m use to the disappointment 😂.

edit….

Storm turned out halfway decent looks like NY or some of NY is getting 4-8 👍 8714D8E1-9763-49A2-B197-1C38790B69FF.jpeg.f7bb1b3f8a7be800bf529bea6c02dcdc.jpeg

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Sad 1

Taking off for northern Wisconsin for a week and they say they might be getting snow up there tonight 6-8" and they are on the edge right now as far as trail conditions. No snow in southern Wisconsin right now with maybe 2" of snow coming tonight. Yes it has been a very poor start to the season.   

7 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

That's a bummer for you guys.  Here in MN we have been full on winter since about December 2nd, my first official trail ride.  About 6 weeks later the sled is on the stand and completely getting worked over with ~2400 miles thus far.

Nice :thumbsup: I'm just north of you and snow is great and the weather has been awesome.I don't have your mileage but I've ridden more this January than many in the past.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Couldn't ask for much better in MN it's been so awesome 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Same here in NW Lower although it’s currently snowing pretty good.

about 2 + hours south of you, raining here.           :(

no frost in the ground at all just a muddy mess.

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, sw-50c said:

about 2 + hours south of you, raining here.           :(

no frost in the ground at all just a muddy mess.

Awww geez…that sucks. The ground isn’t frozen here either so guessing this wet snow will just dissolve into slop.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

• Platinum Contributing Member

No frost in the ground here. Forecast predicts a max of 6 inches of snow in the next 2 weeks. Not sure that my sleds will see snow this season.

3783999D-48D3-4D6C-A451-8A945B6C30DF.thumb.png.8851abc6b6529b23ddb319809f0a9867.png

yep really thought the early snow in November and December were going to be good signs of season ..got 400 miles in those two snow falls .. got lucky I guess,, normally by this time of year we have a nice base going in mid mich, tempted to trailer to the UP ,trails are probably sacked out,, really need to get my old XCRs  out for a good run

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to be a downer, but for Upstate NY, its been a pretty shit year. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks of ridable conditions, if that.
And here's the forecast for our area the next 10 days, going into the 3rd week of Feb:
I rode my Rush from town to home last night and the trails were shot.
Going to have to pickup a Hybrid or another enclosed trailer and start making trips to Canada as I plan on getting a 998 over the summer.

yuck.PNG

Edited by stinkipinki

As noted above, its been a great year in MN so far, I'm just shy of 4k right now, should surpass that this weekend easily... But as you pointed out, temps are even getting warm here, and towns will be a grind from here on out without another dump.  Fingers crossed, but I think the days of good riding in Southern MN may be numbered... Time to go north and ride the big trails!

On 2/1/2023 at 8:41 PM, Ez ryder said:

Best its been in metro Minneapolis  in fucking decades . Same with CO just stupid amounts in rabbit ears over 6 feet in 3 days over the weekend 

It's been awesome, very wintery!

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

As noted above, its been a great year in MN so far, I'm just shy of 4k right now, should surpass that this weekend easily... But as you pointed out, temps are even getting warm here, and towns will be a grind from here on out without another dump.  Fingers crossed, but I think the days of good riding in Southern MN may be numbered... Time to go north and ride the big trails!

Gonna have to go really far north.  Grand Rapids area was starting to get pretty icy last weekend, before the warmup.  I can see my shingles again and the ice dam on my roof is starting to melt, not good.  No snow in the forecast for at least a week for us, and nothing measurable until potentially the end of February.  This has been a roller coaster winter up here, but it'd be nice to ride into mid-March again like we did last year.  Mother Nature always has a trick up her sleeve this time of year.

46 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Gonna have to go really far north.  Grand Rapids area was starting to get pretty icy last weekend, before the warmup.  I can see my shingles again and the ice dam on my roof is starting to melt, not good.  No snow in the forecast for at least a week for us, and nothing measurable until potentially the end of February.  This has been a roller coaster winter up here, but it'd be nice to ride into mid-March again like we did last year.  Mother Nature always has a trick up her sleeve this time of year.

Funny thing about this is we still have a very healthy base here south of you, so this warm weather won't affect much here as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by Sled_Hed
  • Like 2

• Gold Member

40s and 50s here (S.NH) next 10 days too. Snows going quick especially down near my work. I’m sorta glad my wife talked me outta getting new last spring and just getting a decent cheap older sled she is right we don’t get winters anymore down here. I just hope northern Maine stays good heading up 3/8 for 5 days probably my only trip up north this year unfortunately.

13 hours ago, p51mstg said:

It always sucks to have the snow shrink down a tad.  But there is still plenty of snow!  To even pretend that it's bad right now is being spoiled, I remember entire years that never got as good as it is right now after a couple days in the thirties that's done almost nothing to the snowpack.  It sounds like the rest of the country would kill for our snow right now.  There's been many years when it's very thin, I remember riding some of those years where there was just enough snow and the trails being pretty good actually and you'd see nobody out, nowhere, like most people thought it wasn't possible but we had pretty good riding all to ourselves.  I think this winter it's been awesome and I think it'll just keep going.  I think the 20-21 season was light on snow but aside from that I think we've had a really good run of winters I'm a little south of grand rapids.  The worst part about a minor thaw like this is some of those trails that go through loggers where they plow too low.  One of the clubs said they contacted the forester because it was in the contract that the loggers are supposed to leave a 4" base but they were basically plowing down to nothing and then if there's any thaw like this those sections will really suck!

you guys are lucky. upstate ny has been pretty lame. no frozen ground, warm for weeks on end. we lost all of january. started to grab feb and that is waning fast. supposed to be 55 and rain thursday. shit is down right depressing. i can ride the fat bike i suppose, but i'm supposed to be riding my fucking sled. march has screwed us early in recent years. i'm losing hope at this point. sat outside and had a beer today. taking ticks off my outside cats in feb is a bad sign