ZR3 SP 440

Crnr2Crnr

after several hours of thought and deliberation... I'm down to the coil and wiring which I did move that were touching the muffer, OR the power valves which I haven't torn apart YET.  based upon what I saw with a borescope the pistons have excess carbon build-up which means not enough spark or not enough exhaust getting out.  compression is solid on both jugs.  y, pipe and muffler are clear... checked them immediately after finding the mouse nest in the airbox.

this needs to see max rpm before I load it onto his truck next week... bit frustrated atm.  

Coil tested good.

going to back track... ordered new mikuni fuel pump, going to check the lines for kinks and pull the jets to see if something broke free in the old pump and plugged us up again.  knew I should have put a new pump on it right away... >:(

sadly, here's where we're ending the story for now... 

compression 128mag and 130pto and cylinders were borescope checked from multiple angles.  everything in the entire fuel system was either replaced or cleaned.  reeds removed, inspected and gasketed.  new airbox foam, intake tube cleaned and sealed.  all exhaust removed, inspected and resealed with new gaskets and springs.  power valves removed, inspected and cleaned.  power valve cables adjusted to specification.  voltage regulator replaced. 

starts on first or second pull and idles perfectly at 1500 rpm. 

where the problem lies... on a track stand it revs to about 5800rpm, then just falls flat on it's face and the sled won't move under it's own power.  

we loaded it on my brothers truck last night and it's going to Joe next before anything else gets touched on it.  we're all thinking it's something electrical at this point.

can't thank young gun Jake for helping me with this project and our mutual meticulous nature of doing things.  after covering all the bases we had time to we were both disappointed and yet strangely a bit happy to see it leave last night.

will update when we know... ;)

on the bright side, his 21 RXC is going to live here for me to dial in for him.  :)

IMG_20230210_170511400.jpg

IMG_20230209_175332818.jpg

IMG_20230209_175351617.jpg

IMG_20230210_103013201.jpg

IMG_20230210_170518512.jpg

IMG_20230210_170531359.jpg

IMG_20230210_170537433.jpg

IMG_20230210_170552103.jpg

IMG_20230210_170557580.jpg

IMG_20230210_170603411.jpg

IMG_20230210_170821430.jpg

IMG_20230210_170836583.jpg

IMG_20230210_173858718_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230210_172457004.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 2

around 3am this morning I remembered something that I never took apart, checked or looked at because we were so focused on everything else.

the previous owner mentioned it wasn't backshifting properly the last time he rode it before I came to look at it.  I never removed the belt once and we always had the belt guard down when running it.  my thinking at the moment is the secondary spring is broken, the belt is getting sucked into the sheaves which isn't allowing it to rev out.  on the track stand at idle (1500 rpm) the track is spinning quite a bit to the point you need to apply the brake.  when on the ground we had to push it up the ramp to get onto the truck.  it won't move on the ground under it's own power. 

So... 9_9

I ordered a stock spring from Country Cat and am shipping it to his house.  Also sent him a YT video (this one) to learn how to take the clutch apart, inspect, clean and assemble it with his son's.  

feeling a bit dumb right now for not thinking about this until it's 1000 miles away.

Screenshot_20230213-100923.png

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

any idea which spring they used?  stock green is what I ordered to check it.

If you're putting a stock spring in you might as well put a stock angle helix in otherwise you're just mish matching clutch calibration parts which is obviously a bad plan

5 minutes ago, mnstang said:

If you're putting a stock spring in you might as well put a stock angle helix in otherwise you're just mish matching clutch calibration parts which is obviously a bad plan

just to test 

when he gets the old spring out he's supposed to send me pics or the whole spring.  we have a lot of time until next February 

do you have an old black magic catalog by chance?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

just to test 

when he gets the old spring out he's supposed to send me pics or the whole spring.  we have a lot of time until next February 

Yeah I have a couple of them 

• 10 months later...

it was a sticking oil pump... of all things.  full oiling, all the damned time.  even you know who couldn't believe it and just happened to see it stick when the air box was off.  Everytime we ran it here the air box was on it.  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 9:03 PM, joe_zrt said:

Dam, that's a tough one to diagnose 

it's not over... :(

hitting 6800 and falling on its face... next up, check stator and test with another one... pull the jugs, run cylinders and a set of rings.  he just did a new compression check and it dropped to 110ish from 130ish.  

this sled is f'ng possessed and a thousand miles from me  

On 12/30/2023 at 1:02 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

it's not over... :(

hitting 6800 and falling on its face... next up, check stator and test with another one... pull the jugs, run cylinders and a set of rings.  he just did a new compression check and it dropped to 110ish from 130ish.  

this sled is f'ng possessed and a thousand miles from me  

“They don’t build them like they use to” Ass drag life 

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

just to test 

I may have that information. I took some pictures of a bm catalog when I was at the hall of fame. I just have to fire up my old ass naked lady machine to find them.