Tongue Weight

We run our own trucks for work. The gm as of lately shit transmission in about 2 years of use. Including mine. A lot of my co workers went to rams. They have held up better than the chevys. They go through brakes and tires a lot faster vs the chevys 

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Not greg b said:

We run our own trucks for work. The gm as of lately shit transmission in about 2 years of use. Including mine. A lot of my co workers went to rams. They have held up better than the chevys. They go through brakes and tires a lot faster vs the chevys 

Luck of the draw with gm transmissions.  My ‘16 gasser that I had for 6.5 years plowed snow, pulled sled trailers and my Jayco Eagle 321 fifth wheel all summer through the Northeast. Never had an issue. 

0743110D-0AAA-494A-83B5-88F0F3572473.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XCR INDY said:

Luck of the draw with gm transmissions.  My ‘16 gasser that I had for 6.5 years plowed snow, pulled sled trailers and my Jayco Eagle 321 fifth wheel all summer through the Northeast. Never had an issue. 

0743110D-0AAA-494A-83B5-88F0F3572473.jpeg

My 2018 I put 180,000 miles on it in 3 years. I shit a tranny just over 100k. My dad’s 17 failed about the same. It’s seems like the ones built in the last 5 years have more trans problems than the older ones 

• Gold Member
33 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

My 2018 I put 180,000 miles on it in 3 years. I shit a tranny just over 100k. My dad’s 17 failed about the same. It’s seems like the ones built in the last 5 years have more trans problems than the older ones 

Funny you say that. My brother in law has a ‘17 Sierra 6.0 2500 that is literally a grocery getter for them (he’s in construction and has plenty of trucks). Lost the torque converter in less than 40k miles. 

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

1 hour ago, XCR INDY said:

Funny you say that. My brother in law has a ‘17 Sierra 6.0 2500 that is literally a grocery getter for them (he’s in construction and has plenty of trucks). Lost the torque converter in less than 40k miles. 

6 speeds are famous for the converter clutch burning up, and the debris destroys the rest of the tranny.  The programming tries to lock up the converter at low speeds and in every gear, and allows for a lot of slip.  Good tranny guys re-flash to eliminate it when doing a rebuild.

Still having lots of issues with DOD/AFM lifters failing and taking out the camshaft too. 

My truck has 70k on it, 5.3 and 6 spd.  I'm actually considering changing the converter to a triple disk, cam and lifters as preventative maintenance, and driving it till it rusts away.

Edited by krom

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, krom said:

6 speeds are famous for the converter clutch burning up, and the debris destroys the rest of the tranny.  The programming tries to lock up the converter at low speeds and in every gear, and allows for a lot of slip.  Good tranny guys re-flash to eliminate it when doing a rebuild.

Still having lots of issues with DOD/AFM lifters failing and taking out the camshaft too. 

My truck has 70k on it, 5.3 and 6 spd.  I'm actually considering changing the converter to a triple disk, cam and lifters as preventative maintenance, and driving it till it rusts away.

That’s one of the first things I noticed with my new’23 gasser 6.0. The torque converter locks right up in second gear when just running around empty. My ‘16 never did that. 

7 hours ago, krom said:

That’s exactly what took mine out. I noticed a slight vibration the day before at low speeds. Out of no where it lost most of the gears. Never had any engine issues other than the water pump shitting out about 170,000. The afm was annoying once it got a lot of miles on it because you could hear it activate and deactivate. I am not sure if the valves or muffler wore out over time. 

This started about hitch weight..campers used to have weight distribution arms that leveled or lessened a heavy tongue weight.

????  Are they still in production?  

I opted for a simpler solution.... Doubled the springs on my dually...

5.3/6.0/6.2 with AFM

Turn off the afm with a tuner (I prefer Superchips), when it cycles between 4cyl/8cyl mode the torque converter lockup issues begin and end.  AFM in principle wasn't a terrible idea but in execution with the lifter failures they've had it's been a disaster for some.  The electronic delete (tuner) is much more simple and affordable than mechanically deleting and programming them.  Tuner also gives the advantage of holding a gear longer and less busyness in the trans gear hunting regularly.  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

You guys gotta get yourselves a 4.8/4l60e. 35k oil change intervals with the cheapest fram conventional you can find and never even look at the trans dipstick. 9000lbs on a well balanced boat trailer and in 4wd you could even move it around the driveway 

637A6E72-FBBC-472F-ABB5-6817C453F3B7.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, Palu49 said:

You guys gotta get yourselves a 4.8/4l60e. 35k oil change intervals with the cheapest fram conventional you can find and never even look at the trans dipstick. 9000lbs on a well balanced boat trailer and in 4wd you could even move it around the driveway 

637A6E72-FBBC-472F-ABB5-6817C453F3B7.jpeg

Nice .

I got a LQ9 6.0 in my Escalade. No stupid 4cylinder mode that year either. Has over 200k . Trans never been touched either. Been towing its whole life. 

122E8A21-E684-4095-BE31-66DA27C3E9E2.jpeg

2 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Nice .

I got a LQ9 6.0 in my Escalade. No stupid 4cylinder mode that year either. Has over 200k . Trans never been touched either. Been towing its whole life. 

The mid 2000s GAS gms are the only good vehicles you can buy relatively decent priced. I got my Tahoe from a fire department auction for $1000 and put 100k on it. Sold it in the spring right at 200. Bought an LBZ duramax from texas and that truck was the biggest pile of shit vehicle I’ve ever owned I pretty much gave it away when the headgaskets went right after I replaced the front diff and every other part that could possibly go bad, even the almighty Allison transmission sucked in that thing. Shoulda kept the Tahoe

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Palu49 said:

The mid 2000s GAS gms are the only good vehicles you can buy relatively decent priced. I got my Tahoe from a fire department auction for $1000 and put 100k on it. Sold it in the spring right at 200. Bought an LBZ duramax from texas and that truck was the biggest pile of shit vehicle I’ve ever owned I pretty much gave it away when the headgaskets went right after I replaced the front diff and every other part that could possibly go bad, even the almighty Allison transmission sucked in that thing. Shoulda kept the Tahoe

Main reason ive taken so long to upgrade .

My Dad owns 2 Duramaxs and they have had their fair share of repair bills as well. Awesome when they are right , but they can be money pits no doubt. 

Gym transports his 9R in the bed of a Ram truck.  Gym backs off his Ram on his 9R and sprays roost upon any nearby vehicles.  Gym finds trailers unnecessary.  Gym sometimes wants to swerve at oncoming headlights pointed too high in the air.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Nice .

Careful,  the "donk" police will be along shortly.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Palu49 said:

Probably because it was from Texas. They probably drove in 4 wheel drive all the time “because I am Texas and my truck has diesel 4 wheel drive” 

• Haha 1