Tongue Weight

wtf is it with people pulling trailers that have a lot of tongue weight with vehicles that aren't set up properly for the tongue weight they're being asked to carry? 

just at lunch today... Chevy suburban with a vnose cargo trailer, nose high, ass squatted to the bump stops and the steering looked light as hell... driving 80mph of course.  Jeep Wrangler with a 2 place clamshell, same f'ng thing.  As I'm about to get off the highway saw a Ram 2500 BroDozer heading north with a sled deck and an open trailer with 5-6 sleds on it and it looked sketchy as fuck. 

See the same shit in the summer with boats and side by side haulers.  

There's things you can do to make your rig safer for you, your crew and everyone else on the road.

Airlift bags 

Add a leaf spring

Own the right rig to haul your shit...

just for starters...

It’s because people put all of their shit in the nose of a trailer because that is where the door is, and in the back of the taho/truck. For bro dozer, if he used a normal trailer, 8 sleds is about zero weight for a 3/4 ton. 8 sleds would be about 6000 pounds 

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

wtf is it with people pulling trailers that have a lot of tongue weight with vehicles that aren't set up properly for the tongue weight they're being asked to carry? 

just at lunch today... Chevy suburban with a vnose cargo trailer, nose high, ass squatted to the bump stops and the steering looked light as hell... driving 80mph of course.  Jeep Wrangler with a 2 place clamshell, same f'ng thing.  As I'm about to get off the highway saw a Ram 2500 BroDozer heading north with a sled deck and an open trailer with 5-6 sleds on it and it looked sketchy as fuck. 

See the same shit in the summer with boats and side by side haulers.  

There's things you can do to make your rig safer for you, your crew and everyone else on the road.

Airlift bags 

Add a leaf spring

Own the right rig to haul your shit...

just for starters...

They can’t afford that shit 80k truck,15k trailer,20k sled ain’t no money left for helper springs 😂 

• Like 1

Definitely seems to be getting worse these days.  Perhaps it's just a lot of borrowed trailers.  Hard for me to believe that if someone owns a trailer and a truck that they would actually know how to load the thing properly. 

I was driving South on 51 Tuesday and there was an endless stream of ass dragging tow vehicles and trailers all the way to Wausau where I head E on 29.  

4 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I think alot of people don't really have a clue when it comes to weight distribution in towing. My new suv has xxx horsepower and is rated to tow xxxx lbs.

I like the Ice Castle assholes ripping norf at 80+mph with their porcelain hitch.  All done tore up by the time they are 3 years old.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

I like the Ice Castle assholes ripping norf at 80+mph with their porcelain hitch.  All done tore up by the time they are 3 years old.  

Don't remind me, they started up here pretty good this weekend. :thumbdown:

8 hours ago, Not greg b said:

It’s because people put all of their shit in the nose of a trailer because that is where the door is, and in the back of the taho/truck. For bro dozer, if he used a normal trailer, 8 sleds is about zero weight for a 3/4 ton. 8 sleds would be about 6000 pounds 

people that buy pop-up campers that know literally nothing about towing... even sketchier.  you'd have laughed your ass off at BroDozer... the offset of the wheels and likey ball joint, tie rod failure let alone ass sag and front lift spooked me with a median strip between us.

4 hours ago, jdsky said:

Definitely seems to be getting worse these days.  Perhaps it's just a lot of borrowed trailers.  Hard for me to believe that if someone owns a trailer and a truck that they would actually know how to load the thing properly. 

I was driving South on 51 Tuesday and there was an endless stream of ass dragging tow vehicles and trailers all the way to Wausau where I head E on 29.  

I run from Wausau to Merrill on 51/39 N/S twice a day, and at lunch.  It's a retard parade... daily. 

4 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

I think alot of people don't really have a clue when it comes to weight distribution in towing. My new suv has xxx horsepower and is rated to tow xxxx lbs.

because you can drag it behind you doesn't necessarily mean you can tow it safely... yet, every day?

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

people that buy pop-up campers that know literally nothing about towing... even sketchier.  you'd have laughed your ass off at BroDozer... the offset of the wheels and likey ball joint, tie rod failure let alone ass sag and front lift spooked me with a median strip between us.

I run from Wausau to Merrill on 51/39 N/S twice a day, and at lunch.  It's a retard parade... daily. 

because you can drag it behind you doesn't necessarily mean you can tow it safely... yet, every day?

Yes. I realize that but yet they walk among us.

• Like 1

Just now, Sled_Hed said:

Yes. I realize that but yet they walk among us.

and our accelerator pedal allows us to let up and steer clear, or rapidly accelerate past them.

at times, this is my life :roflcrying:

love this flick btw!

Not towing with something with coils in the rear helps too... fucking rams and hoes 

But yes it's worse, people are just oblivious to how to tow shit. I seen a Lexus rx350 towing a pop up this summer...poor car 

Edited by Cwhite138
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Not towing with something with coils in the rear helps too... fucking rams and hoes 

But yes it's worse, people are just oblivious to how to tow shit. I seen a Lexus rx350 towing a pop up this summer...poor car 

for $100-ish and a little labor... easily fixed.

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and our accelerator pedal allows us to let up and steer clear, or rapidly accelerate past them.

at times, this is my life :roflcrying:

love this flick btw!

Oh im sure ....With a measly 5.3 L and fake cop light to feel important 

:lol:

On 1/13/2023 at 6:21 PM, racinfarmer said:

Those guys are the worst.  Some big heavy ice castle with movable axles and it's swaying all over going straight down the road and the drivers are clueless have probably never owned a trailer before.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 8:40 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

for $100-ish and a little labor... easily fixed.

They do work but are a bandaid. In coilbags will wear though over time. Outside bags are better if you keep a vehicle till its death.. not always an option tho. 

When I worked there at least once a week we would be doing the ram 1500 special... rear HD coils, in coil bags. Then leveling struts when the put a plow on lol but you would need to do Upper control arms be cause there is a risk of the ball joint popping out on oe stamped ones. 

You can't even put a wheeler in the back of those minivans.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too much tongue weight is way better than not enough.

I've had a skid steer break free and roll to the back of a trailer, fortunately it was at 20 mph, not 5 min before when I was running 65+

Edit:  It was a borrowed the skid steer, trailer, tie downs, and pintle hitch.   Came around hard enough to break the hitch off flush with the receiver on my truck.

Edited by krom
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Rams suck 

but Wannabe Cop impersonator Tahoe's are the ultimate Gay Beta vehicles ....Esp if you are a Guy from WI. 

Don't sugar coat it tell us how you really feel. :lol2:I like my Ram's.