Matco hyperstep drill bits.

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

1/4” plate steel. Virtually no creep. Just let the bit do the work. I’m very impressed by these things.  Too soon to tell how long they’ll last. 

Weird, we had the exact opposite experience with them last week drilling out a snapped valve cover bolt, bit wouldn't bite,  danced around, got out a punch, so it had a dimple to sit in and the bit snapped right in front of our Matco rep who claimed they were the cats ass

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Weird, we had the exact opposite experience with them last week drilling out a snapped valve cover bolt, bit wouldn't bite,  danced around, got out a punch, so it had a dimple to sit in and the bit snapped right in front of our Matco rep who claimed they were the cats ass

Zipped through boron steel b pillar on a ford transit for installing blind rivets. Amazing. Never had that experience. 

27 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Zipped through boron steel b pillar on a ford transit for installing blind rivets. Amazing. Never had that experience. 

Went and got a Milwaukee cobalt bit, got it out..

7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Rich is a ford guy over on YouTube. Covers a lot of transit and f stuff. His experiences are like mine. Maybe you got a bad batch of bits? 

I'm not much of a YouTuber

8 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

1/4" B Pillars on that van is pretty stout. You chase tornados with it too?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Rich is a ford guy over on YouTube. Covers a lot of transit and f stuff. His experiences are like mine. Maybe you got a bad batch of bits? 

Drilling through cast iron isn't much of a test, cast iron is real easy to drill , it has graphite in it makes it very machinable.

To me those step drill bits look to difficult to sharpen 

3 hours ago, Skidooski said:

1/4" B Pillars on that van is pretty stout. You chase tornados with it too?

I’d rather drill through 1/4” or 3/8” plate vs the 2 millimeters of fucking boron steel. None the less, the Matco bit chewed through it. Best bits I’ve ever used. Even better than the $100 bits that Ford recommends for their boron steel. The one area where these bits could be a problem is drilling out a broken bolt or stud on an engine block. It would be too easy to penetrate the water jacket in some situations. 

16 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’d rather drill through 1/4” or 3/8” plate vs the 2 millimeters of fucking boron steel. None the less, the Matco bit chewed through it. Best bits I’ve ever used. Even better than the $100 bits that Ford recommends for their boron steel. The one area where these bits could be a problem is drilling out a broken bolt or stud on an engine block. It would be too easy to penetrate the water jacket in some situations. 

I'm always looking for new bits to try  :thumbsup: I wasn't sure if maybe you found a spot on the pillar that was 3T or not

13 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Went and got a Milwaukee cobalt bit, got it out..

Cobalt split point is what we use, they don't walk, Titanium's drills suck. I also have a drill sharpener which does split points if you want.