Any of you guys travel to Germany?

SkisNH

I am looking to take my wife in the spring as a surprise...I know nothing about the country. 

Her father passed 6 years ago and in his will he asked for his ashes to be split between camp and his family town in Germany. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I am looking to take my wife in the spring as a surprise...I know nothing about the country. 

Her father passed 6 years ago and in his will he asked for his ashes to be split between camp and his family town in Germany. 

I was just there. I didn't get to see alot because my wife got ill and we were tied up with family the first week. Hope to go again soon.

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I was just there. I didn't get to see alot because my wife got ill and we were tied up with family the first week. Hope to go again soon.

Any recommendations from what you did see?

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Any recommendations from what you did see?

Unfortunately not really, we just hung around Berlin. Went to the Maverpark on Sunday. Went to few boring museum's basically we did alot of walking, ate and drank beer.

Was disappointed, but what can you do. 

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Let me know what or where you are contemplating. Read the other thread first and ask away.  Glad to help in any way I can.

Thanks...I will make some notes and PM you if that's okay.

@Deephaven

I decided to post here instead of PM incase anyone else could benefit from the discussion. 

We will likely fly into Frankfort as his will asks for his ashes to be distributed @ a sportsman's club 66km ENE of Frankfort. 

After that we just want to tour and "vacation" We like smaller towns and villages (not city people). Street festivals and people watching..When we travel we usually rent a car and town hop staying in small boutique hotels. 

If you could recommend some towns that would be great. From what I understand we can rent a car and leave that car and take the train back to Frankfort allowing us to see more...any advice is much appreciated. 

SkisNH 

https://www.anglerclub-westend.de/

Edited by SkisNH

5 hours ago, SkisNH said:

@Deephaven

I decided to post here instead of PM incase anyone else could benefit from the discussion. 

We will likely fly into Frankfort as his will asks for his ashes to be distributed @ a sportsman's club 66km ENE of Frankfort. 

After that we just want to tour and "vacation" We like smaller towns and villages (not city people). Street festivals and people watching..When we travel we usually rent a car and town hop staying in small boutique hotels. 

If you could recommend some towns that would be great. From what I understand we can rent a car and leave that car and take the train back to Frankfort allowing us to see more...any advice is much appreciated. 

SkisNH 

Follow the Rhein River valley. Lots of small towns, castle, and things to see.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 6:43 AM, SkisNH said:

@Deephaven

SkisNH 

What time of year?  Old Frankfurt takes about 15min to walk through and outside of that it is new shopping.  

And a more obtuse question.  Are you spa people?  Baden baden has some killer spas....but with a caveat, no one wears clothes and not sure if you are even allowed to so if you are unwilling to be naked amongst others I'd leave that out.  

And sorry for the delay, was out riding...

9 hours ago, Deephaven said:

What time of year?  Old Frankfurt takes about 15min to walk through and outside of that it is new shopping.  

And a more obtuse question.  Are you spa people?  Baden baden has some killer spas....but with a caveat, no one wears clothes and not sure if you are even allowed to so if you are unwilling to be naked amongst others I'd leave that out.  

And sorry for the delay, was out riding...

I've done some googling on the interwebs and have come up with 4 towns to ask you about...I will post them tomorrow when I can get my notes out (this is a surprise for my wife).

Thanks again

How many days?  How often are you willing to change hotels?  You picked some small towns I haven't been to and would be really amiss if I didn't say you are missing some bigger ones that you should see that are nearby.  For instance Gorlitz.  Missing out on Prague to go there seems very strange to me.  Most of the little towns in Germany you can walk and see everything in an hour so staying for a while isn't what I'd do.  Even a "town" the size of Karlsruhe which is 6x the size of Gorlitz.  

Strasbourg feels really small.  Sure it is 300k people, but that isn't really a "city" either.  

Heidelberg is a classic small town in alsace.  The whole strip there takes 4 minutes to walk.  It has a castle that is bombed out (burg not schloss) that you can walk through.  Interesting, but if you don't stop to eat I would say 3 hours max.  That is another hint.  You can surely go up and down the Rhine and see lots of castles and do a tour, but beware that any castle that says burg is a defensive (ie, not grandeous and somewhat boring) castle where the schloss ones are more the fairy tale of dragons and princesses in comparison.

Personally I'd avoid the teeny towns unless they are stop overs on a train on your way someplace.  300k towns are even small.  Let me know how long you are there and if you are going to go someplace and day trip or if you are willing to move a lot as it greatly changes the trip.

For instance, in March I am taking the family (11 & 13 year old boys) to Portugal/Spain.  We are going to spend 3 days in Lisbon, 3 in Seville, 3 in Granada, and 3 in Madrid.  With the kiddos the wife doesn't want to move every night as well as when you travel in a train you don't have a place to put your bags if you are in transit.  We are renting a car for part of it and taking the train for part to maximize that.  We have day trips planned from each spot, but are picking a center of where to start from.  We picked all of our hotels to be right on the most important "walking tour" of the city.  That being said I would highly recommend grabbing a Rick Steve's book for 2 reasons.  1 - the walking tours of the city and 2- the walking tours of museums.  The rest of the book is filled with not very good info, but those two things are HIGHLY worth it.  Once you do, I would add that any city that does not have a walking tour will not really be a place worth visiting with of course some exceptions.