age of fuel

I have medically maintained my sleds,, but the last few years due to age I have been slacking ,, I have a trip set up for my 2 800 xcr s soon ,, half of the fuel is about 2 tears old  ,, I am religious on using fitch fuel catalysis and mechanic in a bottle , due to mr mechanic is the only product to stop fuel phase separation,  have stored inside and monthly started ,, haven't had any issues,, what's you guys thoughts drain and re fill or run it ,, wfo is not going to be the the rides norm ,, probably 5 / 6 rpms .. YES THE WIFES GOING.. btw I fill them before starting to avoid the big boom 

A lot cheaper to siphon out the gas and put fresh in, than to risk it and have something shitty happen because of old fuel.  Dump that old fuel in a vehicle and add new/fresh fuel, and don't worry.

• Like 3

That's some good practices you do but 2 year old fuel siphon it out.  You didn't mention if the fuel had ethanol in.  If it does even with additives after 2 years I'd be concerned with phase separation. 

Siphon some out in a clean glass jar and see if you have water settle in the bottom of the jar.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is what was in our company sleds at the start of the season, boss has an account with local GS and puts in 91 (w/ethanol) the second time we went to a Mountain Top communications site one sled would barely idle then die, brought them back to the shop after suspected fuel issue, the blue tint was from the running sled, and the other from the non running sled.

Dumped both sleds tanks into a new trash can at work then skimmed the gass off the top (coworker put it in his old pontiac) and we were left with 3 gallons of Ethanol/water out of 20 gallons total.

Replaced filters and fuel lines then got the boss to realize we need to run non ethanol as we rarely use them more than 6 times a season and we need to stop leaving them full of fuel inside the trailer all summer and starting them once a month for 10 minutes (these are 04 beartracker 570's)

I believe alot of this was phase seperation but it could also be the gas station had a large amount of water in the tank, no reason to have that much crap gas.

Went on two more call-outs then the sled that had issues wouldn't start (under 90psi on both cylindersl) and the still running sled was barely going (117psi pto 106psi mag) and they are both at 1100 miles.

20230105_152848.jpg

20230105_104613.jpg

Edited by Jerr2Star
Additional info
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:06 PM, Bontz said:

A lot cheaper to siphon out the gas and put fresh in, than to risk it and have something shitty happen because of old fuel.  Dump that old fuel in a vehicle and add new/fresh fuel, and don't worry.

This is the way.  Lots of time I will fill in the spring with 91 nonoxy and then siphon it out in the fall for my mower or dump in a vehicle.  This year I had a pretty empty tank so I just filled with fresh fuel.

the old gas also works as a good fire starter mixed 50/50 with used oil.