2023 Polaris Assault Boost First Ride Review

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So another few days on the Boost.  As mentioned before added some studs to the outside, softened center up quite a bit and stiffened the rear.   This made for better handling and kept the front end lift on acceleration to a more manageable level.  Trails were simply outstanding so not much to report on ride quality.   Probably prefer the rear in the middle more on the torsion and compression.   I believe the assault comes with a heavier torsion than the 137.  Put on around 190 the one day and the sled is simply very enjoyable.  

Performance is again as expected (to me) with everything stock.  Had one 22 VR1 that is clutched well and it was taking the Boosts at times.  This sled flat out runs.   The two boosts 137 and 146 are pretty equal with the Assault taking a few more races....as expected it has a bit longer legs.   More shallow approach angle helps here.  Some weight differences between riders that likely cause some of the results especially when switching sleds.  As Ben mentioned I think there is some considerable gains to be made loading the engine up and with other clutching changes.  Also need to play with the suspension some more to maintain traction and lessen front end lift.   

Against the Doo's.  The Mach, 900r Turbo and the Boosts at stock are very comparably matched with the Boost having a slight edge.   All had similar stud levels and again rider weight may have played a slight role.   Most of these races we backed out around 105ish so no real great comparison topped all the way out.   And while the lakes were better they were far from fast.  The 2 23 850 Doo's both run really well.  Both 137's and one with a 1.6 ice ripper and the other the 1.25 studded.  They run nice but the Poo 850 NA in the group that is clutched was faster top to bottom.   Obviously the 1.6 upper end was less but it did perform well out of the hole and on rolling starts in the right conditions.

Got some seat time on the 2 Doo Turbo's as well as the 23 XRS 850.   I was very impressed with all three.   The smart shock system is absolutely fantastic in the changes it makes.  Simply cannot say enough on how much I like that system.   The 900's are very fun.   The Mach had a mechanical PS bracket on it and it was one of the easiest steering non power steering sleds I've ever been on.   The other didn't steer hard but the lack of effort needed in the mach was shocking.   Engine, clutching, ride everything on all 3 Doo's was nice.   They simply feel more refined than the Polaris'.  The shortening of the nose area on the xrs is a nice upgrade with the G5.   One of the main things I dislike about my wifes 22 xrs is it feels so big between the rider and the nose of the sled....even just up to the gauges.   Speaking of gauges the Doo fancy gauge sucks compared to the Poo.  Ergonomic layout does still play a role but the Poo gauge is easier to use and more readable at trail speeds.

Boosted Sidewinder....well its just not a comparison nor should it be.  I did not think mine was running exceptional and was still trading races with one that had much, much more done.   Running upwards of 400 HP.  He broke 2 belts in about 6 races.  Not sure the extra power is worth that.  

Where were you riding?

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

So another few days on the Boost.  As mentioned before added some studs to the outside, softened center up quite a bit and stiffened the rear.   This made for better handling and kept the front end lift on acceleration to a more manageable level.  Trails were simply outstanding so not much to report on ride quality.   Probably prefer the rear in the middle more on the torsion and compression.   I believe the assault comes with a heavier torsion than the 137.  Put on around 190 the one day and the sled is simply very enjoyable.  

Performance is again as expected (to me) with everything stock.  Had one 22 VR1 that is clutched well and it was taking the Boosts at times.  This sled flat out runs.   The two boosts 137 and 146 are pretty equal with the Assault taking a few more races....as expected it has a bit longer legs.   More shallow approach angle helps here.  Some weight differences between riders that likely cause some of the results especially when switching sleds.  As Ben mentioned I think there is some considerable gains to be made loading the engine up and with other clutching changes.  Also need to play with the suspension some more to maintain traction and lessen front end lift.   

Against the Doo's.  The Mach, 900r Turbo and the Boosts at stock are very comparably matched with the Boost having a slight edge.   All had similar stud levels and again rider weight may have played a slight role.   Most of these races we backed out around 105ish so no real great comparison topped all the way out.   And while the lakes were better they were far from fast.  The 2 23 850 Doo's both run really well.  Both 137's and one with a 1.6 ice ripper and the other the 1.25 studded.  They run nice but the Poo 850 NA in the group that is clutched was faster top to bottom.   Obviously the 1.6 upper end was less but it did perform well out of the hole and on rolling starts in the right conditions.

Got some seat time on the 2 Doo Turbo's as well as the 23 XRS 850.   I was very impressed with all three.   The smart shock system is absolutely fantastic in the changes it makes.  Simply cannot say enough on how much I like that system.   The 900's are very fun.   The Mach had a mechanical PS bracket on it and it was one of the easiest steering non power steering sleds I've ever been on.   The other didn't steer hard but the lack of effort needed in the mach was shocking.   Engine, clutching, ride everything on all 3 Doo's was nice.   They simply feel more refined than the Polaris'.  The shortening of the nose area on the xrs is a nice upgrade with the G5.   One of the main things I dislike about my wifes 22 xrs is it feels so big between the rider and the nose of the sled....even just up to the gauges.   Speaking of gauges the Doo fancy gauge sucks compared to the Poo.  Ergonomic layout does still play a role but the Poo gauge is easier to use and more readable at trail speeds.

Boosted Sidewinder....well its just not a comparison nor should it be.  I did not think mine was running exceptional and was still trading races with one that had much, much more done.   Running upwards of 400 HP.  He broke 2 belts in about 6 races.  Not sure the extra power is worth that.  

I put the heavier torsion springs on the VR1 this year and softened up the middle and rear shock also and it’s so much better in the trails. It would bottom out quickly before where now I feel like I’m using more of the suspension.

Dumb question, given the Boost wasn't purchased for fuel economy ... but how did it compare to the NA 850 Polaris?

Our crew was up there this weekend too (well, I wasn't but the crew I ride with was).  They said it was fantastic, minus Saturday night coming back from Nelson Lake area to Namakagon.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Dumb question, given the Boost wasn't purchased for fuel economy ... but how did it compare to the NA 850 Polaris?

Our crew was up there this weekend too (well, I wasn't but the crew I ride with was).  They said it was fantastic, minus Saturday night coming back from Nelson Lake area to Namakagon.  

Everything we hit was good.  North to the big lake was exceptional and very few sleds.   We went up to Port Wing then over to Ashland and down.   Super nice ride.   The NA wasn't out a full day with us.   I wish I could report better on milage but with  everything being in break in we didn't pay much attention.   Should have. 

Edited by Highmark

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The skidoos are more refined, I like the ergos of the Polaris better is all, and the Polaris gauge is nice. 

As I mentioned before sucking up the limiter half a hole works alot better for trail riding the assault. You can still pull the skis but its not as obnoxious and more controllable. Mine with the limiter out would seem to always pull to the left. Also if you put some dual rate springs on the ski shocks and lower the front end a bit the thing will rail on the trails. I did some shock revalving and clutching on it and it is still my favorite sled. I enjoy riding it more than my new Matryx. 

I am going to keep these sleds for a while but when I do eventually decide to get a new one I think its going to be a 4 stroke turbo. The skidoo 900r has my attention right now... 

If you are looking for clutching, Northstar rick (on HCS)has some good stuff for the Polaris sleds. I put his clutching on my assault a few years ago and holy shit, I couldnt believe how much better it was and it was already pretty damn good. Not sure if he has anything for the Boosts yet. 

Great write up :bc:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

The skidoos are more refined, I like the ergos of the Polaris better is all, and the Polaris gauge is nice. 

As I mentioned before sucking up the limiter half a hole works alot better for trail riding the assault. You can still pull the skis but its not as obnoxious and more controllable. Mine with the limiter out would seem to always pull to the left. Also if you put some dual rate springs on the ski shocks and lower the front end a bit the thing will rail on the trails. I did some shock revalving and clutching on it and it is still my favorite sled. I enjoy riding it more than my new Matryx. 

I am going to keep these sleds for a while but when I do eventually decide to get a new one I think its going to be a 4 stroke turbo. The skidoo 900r has my attention right now... 

If you are looking for clutching, Northstar rick (on HCS)has some good stuff for the Polaris sleds. I put his clutching on my assault a few years ago and holy shit, I couldnt believe how much better it was and it was already pretty damn good. Not sure if he has anything for the Boosts yet. 

Great write up :bc:

As I mentioned in the earlier post I feel the backshift and snappiness just isn't there.   Could be a bit of turbo lag or clutching or both.   Definitely needs some attention.  Shift rpm was pretty good and consistent but I want to throw some weight at it.  Like a bit more shallow starting angle helix as well and possibly a tad stiffer primary and secondary spring.   The 22 VR1 is running 5 gr heavier arms and handling it easy.   Northstar does a nice job with setups.   

I was very pleased with my handling and ride quality just need to keep the front down a bit more which of course will affect handling.   Next change will definitely be shortening the limiter a tad.   The guy from the Mach/22 850 VR1 thought my sled rode better than any Poo he'd ever been on.  

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

As I mentioned in the earlier post I feel the backshift and snappiness just isn't there.   Could be a bit of turbo lag or clutching or both.   Definitely needs some attention.  Shift rpm was pretty good and consistent but I want to throw some weight at it.  Like a bit more shallow starting angle helix as well and possibly a tad stiffer primary and secondary spring.   The 22 VR1 is running 5 gr heavier arms and handling it easy.   Northstar does a nice job with setups.   

I was very pleased with my handling and ride quality just need to keep the front down a bit more which of course will affect handling.   Next change will definitely be shortening the limiter a tad.   The guy from the Mach/22 850 VR1 thought my sled rode better than any Poo he'd ever been on.  

They do ride great being uncoupled and all but also why you need to pull the limiter in for trail riding. If you pull it in too far you will lose traction, the half a hole was the best combo I found. They have limiter strap adjustment thingys now so you can adjust in the field. I have not used one tho. 

image.png.d1dd8707c2b5d100bdd9d1efe0fb0cd4.png

Just now, Anler said:

They do ride great being uncoupled and all but also why you need to pull the limiter in for trail riding. If you pull it in too far you will lose traction, the half a hole was the best combo I found. They have limiter strap adjustment thingys now so you can adjust in the field. I have not used one tho. 

image.png.d1dd8707c2b5d100bdd9d1efe0fb0cd4.png

Yeah I've seen that setup for a while.   Wish it was a bit more compact....I'm concerned about it bouncing off the center shock.

I'll try a few things.   I want to keep the front end down but not take all the fun factor out.   This sleds ability to carry the front end down the little hills and jumps is a lot of fun. 

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Other than for poor gas why would you add octane to a sled not rated for it....could very easily lose some power.

Ran 91 and never hit a code once. 

That's exactly why. You'd be a fool to think every up north station is carrying good 91. That computer will back off and you won't know it or throw a light if they have it. Sounds like you've had good fuel though. 

Edited by joe_zrt

1 hour ago, joe_zrt said:

That's exactly why. You'd be a fool to think every up north station is carrying good 91. That computer will back off and you won't know it or throw a light if they have it. Sounds like you've had good fuel though. 

Correct. A lot of these newer sled engine management systems don’t alert you to an issue all the time. Consistency is key though and if the engine performance/driveability is consistent, you’re fine. 

Also, snappy and turbo 2S sled engines don’t usually go together. The mountain guys have been talking about this for years and a lot of them are running modded NA sleds again (SLP twin outlaw pipes, etc) because of it. Trying to clutch the secondary around it is probably futile. Load it up in the primary and learn to drive around the lag. That’s most likely your best bet. 

Traction will also be an issue with these things because once you start getting the power through the clutches, the track is going to have a hell of a time putting it to the ground. Stud accordingly.  

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Correct. A lot of these newer sled engine management systems don’t alert you to an issue all the time. Consistency is key though and if the engine performance/driveability is consistent, you’re fine. 

Also, snappy and turbo 2S sled engines don’t usually go together. The mountain guys have been talking about this for years and a lot of them are running modded NA sleds again (SLP twin outlaw pipes, etc) because of it. Trying to clutch the secondary around it is probably futile. Load it up in the primary and learn to drive around the lag. That’s most likely your best bet. 

Traction will also be an issue with these things because once you start getting the power through the clutches, the track is going to have a hell of a time putting it to the ground. Stud accordingly.  

Why would the track have a hard time putting it to the ground when it’s 60-100hp less than just flashed winders? Who the fuck would ever run any kind of performance sled without studs??

10 minutes ago, Anler said:

I think Polaris claims 10% or 10hp or something. 

Yes I think they said 10% which doesn’t make a lot of sense unless it’s only making like 3lbs of boost and the motor is way detuned

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes I think they said 10% which doesn’t make a lot of sense unless it’s only making like 3lbs of boost and the motor is way detuned

They may have done that to mitigate potential warranty claims knowing that most people are going to increase the boost. I've seen some running 200+HP. They are pretty fast. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

They may have done that to mitigate potential warranty claims knowing that most people are going to increase the boost. I've seen some running 200+HP. They are pretty fast. 

I’d be pretty happy with 200hp in an axys chassis 

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Why would the track have a hard time putting it to the ground when it’s 60-100hp less than just flashed winders? Who the fuck would ever run any kind of performance sled without studs??

The only turned up 4S Cats that I’ve seen that can put it down are studded to the hilt but rightfully so. Seems common practice for people to put 96-108 studs in a stock 800-850 around here these days. Not everyone studs their sled strictly for drag racing. Personally I think that anyone that bought a Polaris Boost low elevation sled for anything other than a lake racer/max effort trail sled is wasting their money. That’s just me though. 

1 hour ago, joe_zrt said:

Do the factory gauges read boost, or anyone have a gauge on one? 3lbs would be about right from a factory warrantied machine on pump fuel at sea level range

They do have a boost gauge in the display but I don’t know if it shows an actual number. 3-5 lbs sounds about right to me for a low elevation sled on pump gas as well. 

13 minutes ago, joe_zrt said:

Big lugs and big studs get the job done. Not a fan of stock tracks in snow on the 4 stroke turbos. 

Honestly, unless you’re using some sort of large chisel type designed stud, I don’t know what a super long stud is even doing for traction with say a 1.5” lugged track, in a loose snow/trail type surface. I mean, maybe it’s doing a little something and once the track spins down to something resembling ice it’s doing more but that’s about it. I think a storm track would be fun with a bigger CC trail sled but with usual Michigan conditions, you’d probably be overheating too much with that much lug, to even make it worth it. 1-1/4 with studs would be better all around.