Catalyst Updates

p51mstg

12 minutes ago, Premium said:

I did not.  Was dry as a bone from the factory and by the time I discovered the wear I elected to remove the float.  I used to grease the old keyed shaft floating secondaries, of course.

For ice racing, I'd shim them down to keep some amount of float but limit it. 

Usually would line it up the best I could, they go off the IR temp gun on the sheeves and shim.

Just shims from the McMaster.

Terrain I'd rip all them out and let it run with whatever float it had.

My 15 was really good and never had clutch issues.  My 2 16's were horrible and never could get them to go.  Had a similar issue on one of the 16's as you did your 15.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Premium said:

Here's my experience: My 15 R-XC had a small amount of "float" that also caused it to destroy the splines on both the jackshaft and Team secondary. I ended up replacing both the Team secondary and the jackshaft, and then removing a spacing washer to tighten it up and remove the float. I saw no difference in top speed or belt life.

I had the outer sheeve issue with my 16 800 , when I was talking to some of the now former engineering folks from cat they told me that the bellville washer and overtightening would cause that (I always tightened it by hand not with a torque wrench). When I started torquing them I never had the problem again.

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

I had the outer sheeve issue with my 16 800 , when I was talking to some of the now former engineering folks from cat they told me that the bellville washer and overtightening would cause that (I always tightened it by hand not with a torque wrench). When I started torquing them I never had the problem again.

Now that would be the BOSS secondary, correct? I haven't had any issues at all with my BOSS secondary on my 998 turbo but I always torque the bolt to spec with belt off.

The stock secondary on my 15 R-XC is a Team TSS-04, so it just has the shaft spacer,some washers and bolt. The whole clutch comes off the splined shaft.

1 hour ago, Premium said:

Now that would be the BOSS secondary, correct? I haven't had any issues at all with my BOSS secondary on my 998 turbo but I always torque the bolt to spec with belt off.

The stock secondary on my 15 R-XC is a Team TSS-04, so it just has the shaft spacer,some washers and bolt. The whole clutch comes off the splined shaft.

Yup that was the boss , it was interesting to learn about it alot.

If I’m not mistaken the floated secondary went away on the RXC when they switched to cat clutches in 22 but I could be wrong on that if they ever had a roller bearing clutch before the adapt. I could also be wrong on this but I don’t think you could float a 2 piece secondary 

On 12/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, racinfarmer said:

08 to 20 floated on the splines for sure, not sure on 21, I guess I really didn't pay attention on my 22 since I raiding my friend's parts stash and just sent it with minimal clutch work.

I think it was 22 they went to the boss on the rxc. At some point on the later ones the team secondary on the rxc could be used as torsional as they set it up to work both ways from the factory. It would have been right before they went to the boss 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Palu49 said:

If I’m not mistaken the floated secondary went away on the RXC when they switched to cat clutches in 22 but I could be wrong on that if they ever had a roller bearing clutch before the adapt. I could also be wrong on this but I don’t think you could float a 2 piece secondary 

which would make perfect sense

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 8:23 AM, fortune46x said:

I went through a lot of problems with that, and for the most part I don't think engineering had a very good handle on what was actually happening, as they tried to blame the customer on several occasions.

We saw several issues

1.  Any sled with no shim at all.  In very little time the force of the bolt clamping the end of the splines in sheave, to the tiny shoulder on the jackshaft would cause the aluminum to deform, clamping force would drop.  Low clamping force, means sheave wobble, causing more deformation etc until the sheave spun on the shaft. 

2.  Just one of the thinnest shims, or even multiple with the thinnest shim against the shoulder.  Shim would deform, failure would be the same as above.

3.  They had a metric shit ton of bad shims, and no QC at AC to catch it.  I don't have a metallurgy lab on site, and didn't bother sending any out for inspection (my grandfather was a metallurgist fwiw), but they were brittle as glass, the shims would crack while on the sled, the pieces would fall out, leaving 0 clamping force on the sheave.  0 clamping force=stripped splines.  That one was a mystery until I found a broken piece of shim in the belly pan.  We also found them broken when taking the clutch off, after that.  You could put them in a vice and a hit with a hammer would break them instead of bending.

4. Customer was a Nimwit, and changed their belt by removing the sheave. Bolt tightens against the belt, instead of the shaft 0 clamping force=stripped splines..

1&2 got taken care of by never sending any sled out without a .090" shim against the shoulder on the shaft, even if the alignment bar said it should be thinner, or have no washer at all.

3 sorted it self out after a couple years.

4 Other than a few clueless morons giving terrible advice online, most folks know the proper way.

Edited by krom
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody catch the latest SnoWest podcast yesterday (1/11/24)?  They managed to get both Dave McClure and Todd Tupper on the phone, live and unscripted, during the podcast.  At the time, both were at the photo shoot, or had just finished shooting.

I hung out with both of those guys during the 2024 photo shoot and they are both outstanding human beings.  The interview with Todd, imo, was less informative, I don’t think he’s as good at bs-ing with the media.  Dave had a few really good observations about the 858 and Catalyst in general, and that was the last 10-minutes or so.  I’d skip over all the other bs in the podcast and go right to the interview with Dave.

• Like 4

I listened to that.  I have loved the other snowest pods about the catalyst.. but I thought this one was very lackluster.

If the snowest boys would have rode it I'm sure there would have been good conversation.  But Tupper and McClure really didn't communicate anything very well about the motor.  They got some great questions tee'd up for them and didn't do anything with it, very vague and basic answers, not descriptive at all.  Hopefully the crew does another pod after they ride it.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:07 PM, mnstang said:

I listened to that.  I have loved the other snowest pods about the catalyst.. but I thought this one was very lackluster.

If the snowest boys would have rode it I'm sure there would have been good conversation.  But Tupper and McClure really didn't communicate anything very well about the motor.  They got some great questions tee'd up for them and didn't do anything with it, very vague and basic answers, not descriptive at all.  Hopefully the crew does another pod after they ride it.

Thought the same thing.