Catalyst Updates

p51mstg

Here's a summary written up by snowest Forum member boondocker97:

"Just listened to the hour and twenty minute long SW podcast on spotify. Here are the main points:

Tested all 154 length tracks. Some 3" lug and one 2.6" lug. 3" was the definite choice in the deep snow they were in. 2.6" trenched a little more.

SW staff does not like the current Alpha Ascender. Like at all compared to a Polaris or Ski-Doo. Catalyst feels nothing like the current platform. It's lighter, more balanced, predictable, and the Alpha skid in this new chassis doesn't feel like the Alpha in the current chassis. They had one current 800 Alpha and no one wanted to ride it after being on the Catalyst.

Does not feel like a Cat. Feels like something completely different. Feels like the most naturally adapted mountain platform of any brand. Cat staff emphasized that mountain was given the priority when developing the platform.

Chassis feels shorter and smaller.

Everything is packaged about as tight as it can get.

Reduction of parts throughout. Even smaller, trimmer wiring harness.

Weight.

They believe the 10% weight reduction.

Sleds they tested all had ES and they can't believe they didn't notice the extra weight from it. No different tank or seat for ES models, but rest of ES system is largely the same as past Cat models.

There is no "breakover point" in handling. It's an even feeling rolling from one side to another and easy to compensate or make changes.

Back end never washed out.

Belt drive.

3 gear ratios available that use same belt.

Eccentric tension adjustment on the top shaft.

Steering system.

Old system uses 6-7 parts from handlebars to skis.

New system uses 3-4

New mountain steering post has a U-joint in it to get it vertical.

Steering is easier and progressive.

Aluminum accessory running boards that were on the white/blue sled iced up. Composite boards did not ice up.

600 Engine

It rips.

125hp class.

In the Catalyst chassis it goes as good as an 800 in another chassis. They would rather buy a 600 Catalyst than an 800 Ascender.

Will be no larger motor in this chassis for 2024. Cat simply does not have it ready, supply chain, manpower, etc.

They are excited for when the larger engine comes.

Limits on how many snowmobiles can be built.

Cat is going to try to price it around current 600 prices.

Everything was better than expected"

Edited by Jerr2Star
Additional info
  • Like 1

No offense to the guy from SH24-7, but I just wish he could practice what he's going to say a few times before they turn the camera on.

I know he's been around a long time and is well respected, but he's really hard to watch when he's speaking off the cuff like that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jerr2Star said:

Here's a summary written up by snowest Forum member boondocker97:

"Just listened to the hour and twenty minute long SW podcast on spotify. Here are the main points:

Tested all 154 length tracks. Some 3" lug and one 2.6" lug. 3" was the definite choice in the deep snow they were in. 2.6" trenched a little more.

SW staff does not like the current Alpha Ascender. Like at all compared to a Polaris or Ski-Doo. Catalyst feels nothing like the current platform. It's lighter, more balanced, predictable, and the Alpha skid in this new chassis doesn't feel like the Alpha in the current chassis. They had one current 800 Alpha and no one wanted to ride it after being on the Catalyst.

Does not feel like a Cat. Feels like something completely different. Feels like the most naturally adapted mountain platform of any brand. Cat staff emphasized that mountain was given the priority when developing the platform.

Chassis feels shorter and smaller.

Everything is packaged about as tight as it can get.

Reduction of parts throughout. Even smaller, trimmer wiring harness.

Weight.

They believe the 10% weight reduction.

Sleds they tested all had ES and they can't believe they didn't notice the extra weight from it. No different tank or seat for ES models, but rest of ES system is largely the same as past Cat models.

There is no "breakover point" in handling. It's an even feeling rolling from one side to another and easy to compensate or make changes.

Back end never washed out.

Belt drive.

3 gear ratios available that use same belt.

Eccentric tension adjustment on the top shaft.

Steering system.

Old system uses 6-7 parts from handlebars to skis.

New system uses 3-4

New mountain steering post has a U-joint in it to get it vertical.

Steering is easier and progressive.

Aluminum accessory running boards that were on the white/blue sled iced up. Composite boards did not ice up.

600 Engine

It rips.

125hp class.

In the Catalyst chassis it goes as good as an 800 in another chassis. They would rather buy a 600 Catalyst than an 800 Ascender.

Will be no larger motor in this chassis for 2024. Cat simply does not have it ready, supply chain, manpower, etc.

They are excited for when the larger engine comes.

Limits on how many snowmobiles can be built.

Cat is going to try to price it around current 600 prices.

Everything was better than expected"

IDK what was said in the video but snowest just pulled it down....... i only seen the first 22 minutes.

This is what they put out, its a shorter video.

Edited by Jerr2Star
  • Like 1

I asked to be kept in the loop on the public demo schedule and still haven’t heard anything, aside from February 11 at ERX during the Ditchbanger Nationals.  

Hopefully, they’ll post that schedule very soon!

Not really.  The closest to a discussion I got was when I asked one of the mechanics if the new Riot would have the same problem with ice bridging over the heat exchanger like mine does.  He claimed that was the first time he'd heard about it, and didn't address whether the new design would prevent that or not.

It could very well be that he didn't know about a problem like that.  We have the same thing happen in software, where an end user clearly sees a problem and the developers are completely oblivious to it.  However, it could also be that they were told not to get into details or answer technical questions for fear information could be leaked and find it's way to a competitor.

After riding Catalyst sleds for two days, I can only offer this:  On freshly groomed trails, I didn't have any problem with the ZR's at all.  With the Riot 1.75, however, I did get the temp warning to come on (it's actually a bigger/clear warning on the new gauge, not a red blinking light) - nobody was using scratchers on our rides.  That was quickly resolved with a short dash into looser snow along the trail. 

I would have expected the same from my "old" Riot under the same conditions - the Riot is definitely more sensitive to overheating than the ZR's and I think that applies equally to the Catalyst, as well as the ProCross version.  That's not enough to decide whether the new cooling system is better or worse, but my experience was about what I'd expect from the ProCross.

• Like 1

Closest drive is over 6 hrs and requires a passport. Michigan snubbed again!

Maybe some new dates will pop up, but with an event already planned for every weekend into April, I ain’t holding my breath.

Closest drive in the states is over 8hrs. Brutal

2 hours ago, Premium said:

Closest drive is over 6 hrs and requires a passport. Michigan snubbed again!

Maybe some new dates will pop up, but with an event already planned for every weekend into April, I ain’t holding my breath.

Closest drive in the states is over 8hrs. Brutal

You would sure think that they would have one in the state where these sleds are made but what do I know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

You would sure think that they would have one in the state where these sleds are made but what do I know.

I hear you. 

I'm just salty because it seems like half of of our Cat dealers have disappeared, many of the ones left don't actually have Cats in their showroom, Cat hasn't been to the Novi snow show in years, etc. Now if you're interested in trying one of these things you're looking at an 8hr drive from a major metropolitan area.

This is the current Cat proposition:  Oh you wanted a big bore? Sorry we only have a 600 for over 15k. No you can't realistically try it before you buy, sorry. Also, you may not get it til February 2024. :lolz:

Edited by Premium

20 minutes ago, Premium said:

I hear you. 

I'm just salty because it seems like half of of our Cat dealers have disappeared, many of the ones left don't actually have Cats in their showroom, Cat hasn't been to the Novi snow show in years, etc. Now if you're interested in trying one of these things you're looking at an 8hr drive from a major metropolitan area.

This is the current Cat proposition:  Oh you wanted a big bore? Sorry we only have a 600 for over 15k. No you can't realistically try it before you buy, sorry. Also, you may not get it til February 2024. :lolz:

Your point is valid. Even for me it would probably be a 4-5 hour drive to Eagle River. 

This is one of my major pet peeves with all manufacturers, and I’ve said it repeatedly on this form, as well as HCS - I’m not buying something I can’t demo first.

Before the virus, I went to a new model showing near the corporate headquarters of another snowmobile manufacturer.  It was my only opportunity to see new sleds.  I took time off work, the venue was over 2 hours away.  I walk in, no one greeted me or asked if I needed help, it didn’t seem organized to sell sleds (or screen for competitors).  Eventually, I inserted myself into a conversation with some old guy complaining about wind protection on previous sleds, and a guy with a name tag.  The guy with a name tag turned out to be director of racing, or something like that - fairly high up the food chain, been there decades, not a peon.

I said, how’s a guy demo your sleds, where can I go?  He said, “we don’t do that, logistics are a nightmare”.  Okay, I said, but I’m not buying one of your sleds unless I can test ride one.  He said, “Don’t worry, we can find you the right sled 95% of the time.”  I said, who’s “we”, can I work with someone in your office, how does that work?  He said no, the dealer can do it.

1 - “we don’t do that”, except they always do it in Tug Hill and a few other high profile places, so that’s a load of crap.

2 - I’m in the company’s back yard, and I’d gladly drive to the fricken factory, and they still can’t arrange a demo?

3 - I’ve been to a lot of dealers, and am not going to trust some kid who can’t hold the throttle steady or sit down while he’s riding to help me pick a sled.

I still haven’t gotten over that, obviously.

Almost exactly a month ago, I voiced my opinion to people at Arctic Cat that have influence over the demo schedule, except without the long agonizing story above.  They seemed empathetic and I thought there was a better plan in place than what we saw today.  I don’t know what changed since then.

I hope people get to ride it, because it’s an excellent sled.  I believe people who designed and built it are proud of it.

• Like 3

With this sled Cat should do what others have done in the past with a brand new platform.  Either ship every dealer a demo sled for prospective buyers to ride or if they cannot produce enough of them then just ship the sleds they do have from dealer to dealer.  The logistics in that are not difficult at all and it gives buyers a much better chance to find a dealer within an hour or two at most to get a decent demo ride in.  

I have gone to a couple of the large organized events in the past and while it's better than nothing you really cannot get much of a feel riding something on a closed course for a couple of minutes and after standing in line.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 8:50 PM, Premium said:

Also, you may not get it til February 2024. :lolz:

THIS ^^^^^ is what I am most concerned about. I'll be ordering at least 1. Being "just" a 6 the first year doesn't matter to me since I always have an 8 and a 6 (this year a 650) anyways. But I'm concerned WHEN we will get them based on the past 2 seasons and issues getting sleds out .... I want to have time to ride it to get the chassis figures out. Not get it and have it sit around all summer like last year's 600 did......

One thing for sure..... I won't be selling either of the current sleds until the Catalyst is ACTUALLY at my dealer... not going to be one of those guys not able to ride because my sled isn't in yet and I sold my previous one..... Going to take a few years of sled being delivered consistently on time before I change my mind on that after the past couple of years

Edited by taperk600
  • Like 3

I finally got my F150 back yesterday, after hitting a deer on Oct. 31st.  Body shop guy was talking about parts shortages, and how many vehicles were sitting in his lot waiting for a parts order that had no eta.  OEM parts not available.  When he finds used parts, they’re even more than new OEM.  He doesn’t think it will get better for at least a year - 2024 at the earliest.  Crazy times, I don’t get it.

It’s a good strategy to keep and ride what you have until the new one shows up.

Edited by p51mstg

11 minutes ago, Jerr2Star said:

"Its a really good engine"

That entire interview sucked.  That's probably the only quotable thing I said.  They didn't get their money's worth out of me, that's for sure. 

They didn't tell us what to say - the reactions were real.  The kid who said "The reality is better than the hype"...  first of all, an 18 year old thought that up and I couldn't?  WTF?  Second, he's right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been sticking up for Cat for years, across various platforms, blogs, facebook posts and whatever else.
Get ahold of Roger and tell him to send me one of those first edition ZR's.
I've more then paid for it with my online rhetoric. :D

Edited by stinkipinki
  • Like 2