Catalyst Updates

p51mstg

26 minutes ago, wrinkly balls said:

Were there any 129 catalyst there when you were testing?:popcornchair:

I have asked several people at Cat if I can talk about the track lengths and options on the sleds we rode and nobody has told me whether I can talk about it or not.  They also didn't tell us what would actually make it to the finish line. 

It seems to me that in the last few years, Cat has set up their fans for disappointment.  People speculate about what they might have up their sleeve, and some - like me - have been optimistic, only to be proven wrong.

This year, I saw things that truly made me happy, like the last few years weren't for nothing, that they put their R&D budget in the right place.  I'd rather not be put in a place where I'm quoted and that gets back to someone who didn't want me to talk about whatever I said.  Besides, these were basically prototypes, and maybe what I saw won't actually be offered when the big announcement is made.

The platform surprised me.  The Catalyst Riot will run circles around my ProCross-based Riot, and I'll bet I couldn't even outrun it in a straight line.  It'd be closer than I'd like to admit.  The ZR really is "that good", and if they decided to offer a 129, all I can think of is the scene in Ford v Ferrari when Ken Miles talks about the Perfect Line.

I think the Catalyst is going to impress people more than they expect.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Did you ride a riot off trail? Wondering if it gets up on top of the snow similar to an assault ?

I didn’t get to ride it off trail and am sorry I can’t answer that.  For the regular Riot, the ski stance is 3” less than the ProCross-based model, and is significantly lighter.

Edited by p51mstg
  • Thanks 1

The snow mags were having a blast (riot?) on the new Catalyst yesterday with Roger Skime.  As a Minnesotan, I’m always worried about being too optimistic, but not after reading their comments.  Good job to Cat for impressing virtually everyone who has ridden it, so far.

By the way, on the thumbnail - sleds in the background, under cover - Cat didn’t tell us what they were and never took the covers off.  We didn’t see everything they have for 2024, and we didn’t see any prototypes they may be testing.

Edited by p51mstg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

The snow mags were having a blast (riot?) on the new Catalyst yesterday with Roger Skime.  As a Minnesotan, I’m always worried about being too optimistic, but not after reading their comments.  Good job to Cat for impressing virtually everyone who has ridden it, so far.

By the way, on the thumbnail - sleds in the background, under cover - Cat didn’t tell us what they were and never took the covers off.  We didn’t see everything they have for 2024, and we didn’t see any prototypes they may be testing.

Watched the full vid as requested!

I'm really excited to throw a leg over one of these.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2023 at 10:53 PM, p51mstg said:

I’m glad someone said it.  The 129 ZR will be a great sled.

were you able to ride a 129... or are those still in the pipeline?

is it safe to assume the 129 RXC without e-start will be the 'race' version?

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

were you able to ride a 129... or are those still in the pipeline?

is it safe to assume the 129 RXC without e-start will be the 'race' version?

I was able to ride a 129 ZR, but it wasn’t an RXC.  I would assume the same as you, but all of our sleds had electric start.