Greasy Triple Question

• Platinum Contributing Member

Late 90’s to very early 2000’s which is the better option ZRT’s or Machs/F3? 
I owned a SRX and know they are great sleds but excluding them from the discussion.☃️👍🏼❄️

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I owned a SRX and know they are great sleds but excluding them from the discussion.☃️👍🏼❄️

Don't have a ZRT but love my 98 and 01 Tcats.   I have a 00 Mach but don't have much seat time and just getting the motor back together.   I think they are comparable and would come down to your mfg of choice.  Vmax 4's are fun but chassis wise is far behind by that point.  Never ridden or owned a late model XCR but hear about the same.   Last horse for my stable I've yet to pull the trigger on. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

Depends what you are after. For doo the 96-97 Mach Z is best. The CK3 98-2003 are nicer looking sleds but the electronics are junk and getting really hard to find parts for. 

SRX are a nice 700 but they aren’t an 800 

just never been excited about cat triples for some reason. But if you get one you need to do the stainless steel water pump shaft immediately. The mild steel shaft always goes then the bottom end gets destroyed. 

All Polaris triples were lame stock until the gen 2 XCR 800. But they need the carb slides changed to Arctic cat ones immediately too. The factory ones are junk and break and destroy the engine 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Depends what you are after. For doo the 96-97 Mach Z is best. The CK3 98-2003 are nicer looking sleds but the electronics are junk and getting really hard to find parts for. 

SRX are a nice 700 but they aren’t an 800 

just never been excited about cat triples for some reason. But if you get one you need to do the stainless steel water pump shaft immediately. The mild steel shaft always goes then the bottom end gets destroyed. 

All Polaris triples were lame stock until the gen 2 XCR 800. But they need the carb slides changed to Arctic cat ones immediately too. The factory ones are junk and break and destroy the engine 

97 mach z only came in that chassis one year correct?

Just now, ACE said:

Yes they only built the 97 for one year tbh 

I worded that wrong.

:lol:

It was a different chassis in 96 and 98 ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Steve753 said:

I worded that wrong.

:lol:

It was a different chassis in 96 and 98 ?

Lol yeah 

96 was a 780 with the c7 rear suspension 

97 was the 809 with the SC10

then 98 was the CK3 

97 will ride better than the 96 but the 96 will handle and holeshot better. Performance is basically a wash between the two

the engines are almost identical. The 809 has 1mm larger pistons and nikasil cylinders. 780 is iron sleeve and has more crank seals. I almost prefer modding a 780 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Lol yeah 

then 98 was the CK3 

97 will ride better than the 96 but the 96 will handle and holeshot better. Performance is basically a wash between the two

the engines are almost identical. The 809 has 1mm larger pistons and nikasil cylinders. 780 is iron sleeve and has more crank seals. I almost prefer modding a 780 

:bc:

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Wanting to be part of the poll?

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

Don't have a ZRT but love my 98 and 01 Tcats.   I have a 00 Mach but don't have much seat time and just getting the motor back together.   I think they are comparable and would come down to your mfg of choice.  Vmax 4's are fun but chassis wise is far behind by that point.  Never ridden or owned a late model XCR but hear about the same.   Last horse for my stable I've yet to pull the trigger on. 

Dont know what you are missing. Ive owned quite a few and loved em all.

39 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Dont know what you are missing. Ive owned quite a few and loved em all.

Just haven't found the right one yet.  :thumbsup:

ZRTs have much better cranks than the 3 cylinder Skidoos. Bigger bearings with steel ball cages rather than phenolic , labyrinth non-contact seals rather than rubber and just a lot  easier to work with than the Rotax cranks. Cat crank parts are expensive though, and have way less aftermarket support like rods and bearings than Rotax cranks. But neither Cat nor Rotax can hold a candle to Yamaha crank reliability. There, I said it.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

They’ll both get stuck off trail about equally well but a 1996 ZRT 600 weighs 527 lbs vs 546 for a 1996 formula III so you’ll swear a little less digging out the ZRT in theory. 

7 hours ago, Steve753 said:

ZR chassis by far.

Yeah I like the handling, but having to carry a rollaway on the back to  keep the thing running is a bit of a weight penalty.  :lol: 

7 hours ago, ACE said:

Lol yeah 

then 98 was the CK3 

Dude you're like the professor CK3s.  

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

They’ll both get stuck off trail about equally well but a 1996 ZRT 600 weighs 527 lbs vs 546 for a 1996 formula III so you’ll swear a little less digging out the ZRT in theory. 

I'd take the ZR chassis for handling of that era over any CK3.  But for pure top speed of that era, flip a coin, they were both honest 120 mph sleds.  But I always thought the Doos of that era handled like ass.  I'd still take an SRX just for refinement and reliability over the other two, even if they're not quite as fast.

55 minutes ago, IRONDOG said:

ZRTs have much better cranks than the 3 cylinder Skidoos. Bigger bearings with steel ball cages rather than phenolic , labyrinth non-contact seals rather than rubber and just a lot  easier to work with than the Rotax cranks. Cat crank parts are expensive though, and have way less aftermarket support like rods and bearings than Rotax cranks. But neither Cat nor Rotax can hold a candle to Yamaha crank reliability. There, I said it.

Yeah my crank guy isn’t too happy to see me sone times. He dislikes working on the Rotax cranks

14 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Xcr800

• Like 4

Loved my '96 ZRT 600 until I bought my '98 ZRT 800. I owned a '00 Tcat a few years ago just for fun.

There is nothing like the pull of that Tcat triple with grip on clean ice. I went 118 on the gun and sold it before I killed myself.

Always wondered how the ZRT600 with power valves worked.

• Like 1