John Deere X485 w/ 47" snowblower attachment

Kivalo

• Gold Member

Any of you guys John Deere guys?  I got the tractor (X485) and the 47 inch blower but its used and came with the wrong size drive shaft. The correct part # I need from JD is BM25304 which is a drive shaft AND front end kit to stabilize it as it passes through the steering arm. I cannot find out the part # for that stabilizing kit. The local dealer isn't an option as the reason I want the part # is to find something cheaper online.

Anyone got any ideas?

19 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Any of you guys John Deere guys?  I got the tractor (X485) and the 47 inch blower but its used and came with the wrong size drive shaft. The correct part # I need from JD is BM25304 which is a drive shaft AND front end kit to stabilize it as it passes through the steering arm. I cannot find out the part # for that stabilizing kit. The local dealer isn't an option as the reason I want the part # is to find something cheaper online.

Anyone got any ideas?

Did you spend the extra $350 on the power steering and Landau roof?  

• Platinum Contributing Member
27 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Anyone got any ideas?

As much as I dislike Deere... Support your local dealer..Guys at M&R are great, ask for Ron 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Dieselgeek said:

#8 or #10?

I sell Deere equipment, so let me know if I can help. 

0BCB23F1-0FCA-42B8-A22B-89F53B8D735D.jpeg

As I understand it I need the entire kit you show as BM25304 is the drive shaft and the kit you posted. I cant find the axel alone on Ebay. The price my local dealer quoted for BM25304 was 450$. I know thats inline with most dealers but still.

9 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

As I understand it I need the entire kit you show as BM25304 is the drive shaft and the kit you posted. I cant find the axel alone on Ebay. The price my local dealer quoted for BM25304 was 450$. I know thats inline with most dealers but still.

So you just want the driveshaft without the attaching hardware? If so, part # AM145723 is what you need. But it’s $868.64. You can buy the whole kit for $456.89. So I’d buy the kit! 

Edited by Dieselgeek

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Dieselgeek said:

So you just want the driveshaft without the attaching hardware? If so, you are correct, can only order the complete kit. $456.89. 

I was hoping to find the mounting kit sold separately. From what your saying thats not an option?

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Did you spend the extra $350 on the power steering and Landau roof?  

Of course it has power steering. Its actually my mother's lawn tractor but Im doing the snowblowing for her.

11 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I was hoping to find the mounting kit sold separately. From what your saying thats not an option?

So is the driveshaft incorrect? Is the blower from a 4wd machine? You can piece together parts if needed, but often cheaper to buy the whole kit. I can help find the part #’s for the brackets, bolts, etc, but need to know exactly what isn’t correct. Looking for the yellow bracket in the picture?

934373E9-3B05-42B8-AF35-AD4BCD2BB55F.png

Edited by Dieselgeek

• Gold Member

@Dieselgeek

The drive shaft that came with the blower (used) is too short. The drive shaft kit (BM25304) is the right piece for my unit. However I have found the shaft alone online and was wondering what the mounting kit would cost.

Edited by Kivalo

• Gold Member
10 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Sell it and buy an actual snowblower. Any of those garden tractor snow blowers suck 

Depends my belt drive one on old tractor was a pain in the ass my current shaft drive one minimal issues unless it’s really wet sloppy stuff it does clogs sometimes but the 47 is a 2 stage it should do better in that stuff than my 46. I certainly wouldn’t go back to a walk behind 😂.

21 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm a John Deere guy, and wish I could help you.  I have an X730 and wished I had bought the 4wd version with the snowblower attachment, cuz my driveway is just too steep to do it with 2wd.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm a John Deere guy, and wish I could help you.  I have an X730 and wished I had bought the 4wd version with the snowblower attachment, cuz my driveway is just too steep to do it with 2wd.

We also have a X720, the predecessor to the 730. We have the front end loader for ours. Wish is was 4x4 as well.  :bc:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

We also have a X720, the predecessor to the 730. We have the front end loader for ours. Wish is was 4x4 as well.  :bc:

Solid little garden tractor though, built like a tank.  :bc: 

92689846_10222634097431116_476362008279646208_n.jpg

• Gold Member
29 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Solid little garden tractor though, built like a tank.  :bc: 

92689846_10222634097431116_476362008279646208_n.jpg

Yeah it sure is for basic lawn maintenance. We use the front end loader a lot more than we thought we would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

20221231_131608.jpg

20221231_131544.jpg

20221231_131515.jpg

How too short is it?  From the picture it looks as the 'male' end of the shaft is square stock.  Take it off and take it to a welder or machine shop and have them weld a piece on to make it longer or cut it off and weld a whole new length on.  An ag shop would be best, they may have that exact material laying around.

• Gold Member
45 minutes ago, hayward said:

How too short is it?  From the picture it looks as the 'male' end of the shaft is square stock.  Take it off and take it to a welder or machine shop and have them weld a piece on to make it longer or cut it off and weld a whole new length on.  An ag shop would be best, they may have that exact material laying around.

What you're seeing is the snowblower side. The tractor side is longer and has a splined end  with a mounting kit to stabilize it as is goes through the steering linkage. The shaft that came with mine has ujoints at both ends is a solid 18inches too short. I already know the correct part number I need, Im just waiting for confirmation on whether I can buy the mounting kit separate.

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

What you're seeing is the snowblower side. The tractor side is longer and has a splined end  with a mounting kit to stabilize it as is goes through the steering linkage. The shaft that came with mine has ujoints at both ends is a solid 18inches too short. I already know the correct part number I need, Im just waiting for confirmation on whether I can buy the mounting kit separate.

What tractor did this blower come off of? Guessing a 4wd machine if it’s18 inches short. 

• Gold Member
On 1/1/2023 at 12:38 AM, Dieselgeek said:

What tractor did this blower come off of? Guessing a 4wd machine if it’s18 inches short. 

No idea, it was used.