Stay safe riding

Guy in our extend riding group missed a corner on a forest road and hit a tree Thursday. Only had 2 beers through the day and this was late afternoon.  Was banged up internally pretty bad but the rescue squad made it there fast and got him to the hospital.  Thought they had him stabilized but couldn't stop internally bleeding and he passed away.

I wasn't there but had lunch today with some of the guys that were.  He'd only been riding for 2 years and had brought his son along for his first snowmobile ride.

Stay safe.

• Sad 9

Sad reality check.  Rode with him a couple times and he wasn't a crazy rider.  Good guy.  Passed his sled down to his son and had a new sled.

From what I was told broke a lot of ribs, ruptured speen and broken arm.  Broken ribs made a small hole in his heart and punchered a lung.

I've rode for years now wearing a tekvest.  Just a question in my mind would this have helped?

That's a real bummer. Those all sound like serious injuries. A guy here in MN was riding a open meadow few years back when his ski caught a stump and jerked the bars. He kept going and ended up bleeding out internally from a ruptured spleen.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soeaster said:

I've heard a few stories in the past few months that make me think I should consider a Tekvest. My condolences to those affected.

worth it

what a sad story, condolences to family and friends. :(

On 12/24/2022 at 5:44 PM, Doug said:

I've rode for years now wearing a tekvest.  Just a question in my mind would this have helped?

hard to say with certainty, but from my perspective your odds are better with one on than without... like seat belts and helmets. 

Terrible news.

I’ve debated about getting a TekVest, but wanted to try them on first.  I also use bibs instead of pants and figure I’ll have to switch if I want room under my coat for a vest.  Anybody have advice?

Seems like every season I hear a story like this - even very experienced sledders can miss a corner, and it does happen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Terrible news.

I’ve debated about getting a TekVest, but wanted to try them on first.  I also use bibs instead of pants and figure I’ll have to switch if I want room under my coat for a vest.  Anybody have advice?

Seems like every season I hear a story like this - even very experienced sledders can miss a corner, and it does happen.

I have to go up one size for my jacket to compensate for the Tekvest.  Bibs or pants really don't effect the fit of a Tekvest.

When I buy a new jacket I'll bring my vest along and sit on a sled to make sure it fits good.  There's a lot of dealers that now carry vests so they may have one for you can try.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Terrible news.

Vest over the bibs, under the coat.  Like Doug said, go one size up on the coat unless it's already loose on you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, p51mstg said:

Terrible news.

Techvests are actually a lot thinner than what they look in pictures. They are probably the same thinkness as a heavy fleece liner you would put in a coat. It’s also something you would want to go buy from a store so you can get the fitmeant correct 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

Techvests are actually a lot thinner than what they look in pictures. They are probably the same thinkness as a heavy fleece liner you would put in a coat. It’s also something you would want to go buy from a store so you can get the fitmeant correct 

Partially agree, the shoulders are where the fitment issues can occur due to the vest.  I normally wear a Medium coat and with the vest have to wear a Large.  But, you know me... I'm built like a brick shithouse. 

:)

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

47 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Partially agree, the shoulders are where the fitment issues can occur due to the vest.  I normally wear a Medium coat and with the vest have to wear a Large.  But, you know me... I'm built like a brick shithouse. 

:)

I was looking at the over the coats ones and it I was surprised how thin they actually. They may have changed over the years 

7 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I was looking at the over the coats ones and it I was surprised how thin they actually. They may have changed over the years 

I think way back when people used to wear them over their coats or race jerseys (see old SX videos), but most realized it appeared like wearing a diaper over one's blue jeans so... most (like me) wear them under their coats.  I'm not a racer by any means... but the protection value to me, and my family is worth it. 

My wife may disagree at times 😃

• Haha 1

A friend took out a kidney hitting a pine tree or something years back riding on the farm...almost killed him.  Stubborn person fought the ambulance crew.  Wife prevailed, he went reluctantly....

I bought one 15 years back from a club selling them online.  They /Tec Vest run huge...like a size or two smaller than your jacket.

No way is mine as thin as a fleece jacket.

Kinda warm 🥵 , and holds the body tight like a back brace.

No idea how well the market embraced this safety gear.

No regrets, wish I had it when I kissed a tree.

• Like 2