The cold temp thread

8 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Nice house.  Is that an Arien's snowblower?

you bet your ass it is... it does three big driveways every time there's enough snow not to use the big 48"w pusher shovel or the deep 38"w barn squeegee. 

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

My tile counters were supposedly done in 2010 when the whole kitchen was reno'd. 

were they ugly or poorly installed?

please ignore the clutter as we're cleaning and preparing for a houseful of her family later today.  bamboo plank flooring is 8"w

wait, back to the cold weather... just started the truck to let it warm up and I'm off to Fleet Farm for presents for the dog.  

IMG_20221224_090957627.jpg

IMG_20221224_090328677.jpg

IMG_20221224_090316532.jpg

IMG_20221224_090306592.jpg

IMG_20221224_090300818.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Gm doors suck . Handles break so easy. Especially 99 to 07.

I had a BMW with the self closing doors that decided they didnt want to self close or latch in 5 degree weather.  That was a treat having to hook a tie down and clip it to my seat belt mount to keep it closed so we could get to where we were going 😆

• Haha 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, DriftBusta said:

I had a BMW with the self closing doors that decided they didnt want to self close or latch in 5 degree weather.  That was a treat having to hook a tie down and clip it to my seat belt mount to keep it closed so we could get to where we were going 😆

:lol:

I kind of did the same thing!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

you bet your ass it is... it does three big driveways every time there's enough snow not to use the big 48"w pusher shovel or the deep 38"w barn squeegee. 

were they ugly or poorly installed?

please ignore the clutter as we're cleaning and preparing for a houseful of her family later today.  bamboo plank flooring is 8"w

wait, back to the cold weather... just started the truck to let it warm up and I'm off to Fleet Farm for presents for the dog.  

IMG_20221224_090957627.jpg

IMG_20221224_090328677.jpg

IMG_20221224_090316532.jpg

IMG_20221224_090306592.jpg

IMG_20221224_090300818.jpg

I like that flooring.  :bc: 

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

I kind of did the same thing!

I sold it with about 200 miles of the warranty expiring.  That was not a car I wanted to own out of warranty.  :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, DriftBusta said:

I like that flooring.  :bc: 

I sold it with about 200 miles of the warranty expiring.  That was not a car I wanted to own out of warranty.  :lol:

I won't own any car or truck without warranty anymore.

20 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

3rd day in a row with negative temp all day. Currently -2 with strong wind and gusts out of the nw. Lake is drifting bad. Almost looks like white, frozen white caps.

IMG_20221223_130418.jpg

Co-worker / buddy of mine has a place on Blue Lake in Emily, and has a very similar view from his back yard.  He said the snow is awesome, but there's so much slush on the lake it's gonna be a rough go if that gets rutted up & frozen.  I would rather have it that way, than zero snow and warmer temps though.

55 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Last place I had a huge driveway and plowed with a subcompact tractor and loader mounted blade.  That kinda spoiled me.  I had a small single stage that I used to do the sidewalk and other areas around the property. 

I now have a small driveway and a run of sidewalk at the new house.  Thought I could get away with the single stage.  This year has been a bit of a challenge as with all this snow I am running out of places my single stage can throw it to and of course the 2-3ft drifts the city plows leave me are a nice gift that I see now needs a better tool for the job.....

Looking at an Ariens as they seem to be the best option.  The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger are the fucking stupid prices they now have on these things.  My single stage that was $279 back in 2012 is now $799 and the large units are all around $2K.....  May just decide to wait for spring sales.....

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Gm doors suck . Handles break so easy. Especially 99 to 07.

Yeah I know better than to yank on em...

Started her up and she thawed out. Had the Wife's and Kids presents in the trunk of my 06 Grand Prix and even that wouldnt open :lol:

Started em both up and thawed em out. 

Telling you in went from full rain storm 40* degrees last night to below freezing temp in less than a hour. They were ice cubes this morning. 

Thats New England I guess. 

• Sad 1

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Last place I had a huge driveway and plowed with a subcompact tractor and loader mounted blade.  That kinda spoiled me.  I had a small single stage that I used to do the sidewalk and other areas around the property. 

I now have a small driveway and a run of sidewalk at the new house.  Thought I could get away with the single stage.  This year has been a bit of a challenge as with all this snow I am running out of places my single stage can throw it to and of course the 2-3ft drifts the city plows leave me are a nice gift that I see now needs a better tool for the job.....

Looking at an Ariens as they seem to be the best option.  The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger are the fucking stupid prices they now have on these things.  My single stage that was $279 back in 2012 is now $799 and the large units are all around $2K.....  May just decide to wait for spring sales.....

I was gonna buy a new Ariens also but I found a used Simplicity last year for around $500 thing throws snow like the new ones. 

I also just fixed up a single stage 2 stroke my neighbor abandoned for the light stuff . 

If you find a good used one id go that route plenty around. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Yeah I know better than to yank on em...

Started her up and she thawed out. Had the Wife's and Kids presents in the trunk of my 06 Grand Prix and even that wouldnt open :lol:

Started em both up and thawed em out. 

Telling you in went from full rain storm 40* degrees last night to below freezing temp in less than a hour. They were ice cubes this morning. 

Thats New England I guess. 

went in to Walmart yesterday for grill pellets and was raining and 38*, when I went in, came out 20 mins later 20* and inch of sloppy snow and wind

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Tiles are for the bathroom and floors.

The people we bought this house from had 2 dogs and the whole house has tile, granite or wood.  Id just as soon have the whole house carpeted. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

Not this stupid shit again.  :lol:

Even the most hardcore global warmers are not hopping in their car at these temperatures and driving away.  Some one else can save the environment!!!!!!    

39FEB5CE-ED79-4606-95E2-14C4747D2C6E.jpeg

Our work vehicles warm up 30min to an hr plus some days, strange that the engines all haven't exploded or seized 

26 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

I was gonna buy a new Ariens also but I found a used Simplicity last year for around $500 thing throws snow like the new ones. 

I also just fixed up a single stage 2 stroke my neighbor abandoned for the light stuff . 

If you find a good used one id go that route plenty around. 

Those are both good snowblowers.  I had an old Simplicity that was bulletproof.  Then I bought a tracked Troybilt that needed to be all rebuilt after 5 years, not very well constructed. Then when we moved here I bought a 31” Ariens that I doubt will be wearing out any tome soon.  Things a beast.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

The people we bought this house from had 2 dogs and the whole house has tile, granite or wood.  Id just as soon have the whole house carpeted. :lol: 

You've got tiled countertops?

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Tiles are for the bathroom and floors.

it makes for cleaning up massive amounts of blood quick and easy... 

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

I had enough of fixing the used and cheap blowers about four years ago and with the neighbors aging who's driveways I've always taken care of during more than a few inches of snow I decided it was time for bigger and better... it's worth the cookies and home made old fashioned's and I was brought up to be neighborly so... https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equipment/snow-products/snow-blowers/deluxe/deluxe-28-sho

They were $1100 back then and worth every penny.  The SHO engine is the same one the bigger blowers get and even with wet heavy shit it's never clogged on me once.  Love it and recommend.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Original Lummox said:

Our work vehicles warm up 30min to an hr plus some days, strange that the engines all haven't exploded or seized 

When you are stopped at a light put them park and floor it.  Idling will kill your engine.  Cold engines love high rpms!   A tip from a automotive expert.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Cold War said:

When you are stopped at a light put them park and floor it.  Idling will kill your engine.  Cold engines love high rpms!   A tip from a automotive expert.  

they don't add rev limiters and launch control for no reason!!!

• Haha 2