2023 Riding season reports

42 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

The little woman is not going to ride with me, she just doesn't want to. 

That pretty much sums it up for me, too.  I've had her out with me a couple times over the years, for a 2-up ride with friends but she's just not overly interested in snowmobiling or outdoor activities during the winter.  I've tried to convince her to just try it once, and drive a sled, but that ain't happening so I won't force it.  I guess, if anything, it saves me the cost of owning a second sled (although I'd buy one in a heartbeat if she was willing to ride with me).  It's been this way for damn near 30 years, so it's just one of those things with how we do things differently in the winter.  She's happy at home (when we don't have kids volleyball going on), and I'm up north when I can make it work.  It's not the worst way to go through the winters, but I wouldn't mind her coming with every now and then & being part of this activity.

Heck, I'm still trying to get her to buy into more SxS riding! LOL

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deephaven said:

If I had those for boots...I wouldn't want to ride either :P

Where do you normally stay up North?  This was the first year my sled never even made it on the trailer.  Last few have been so bad locally it made me not care if I stayed home.  Next year that won't be the case.

It was warm that day.... LOL

I stay all over the place.  A few back pack trips got me to St. Peter, Lake City and New Richmond, WI from the garage.  Up north I've stayed at many different places.  Pretty much who ever has availability, and where ever we end up.  Some pre-planned of course, but many just come together the day or two before, if not the day of on a backpack trip.  I'm not picky.

It is hard to admit, but that week she came up, we stayed in Silver Bay, at the Mariner of all places!  Definitely not the fanciest, but we were kinda last minute planning.  I wanted a kitchen, a place that would take the dog, and somewhere close by sled for some scenic views.  She basically worked during the day, and cooked food for us.  Ended my riding early enough I could take her out for happy hour.  Surprisingly it worked out really well and she is game to do it more often!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Gotcha.  I am a big fan of "backpack" trips and usually reserve a hotel when we stop for lunch to give us a target.  The only thing I am picky about is I REALLY like a hot tub :P 

3 of us have places in Northern Wisconsin.  Ours is East of Eagle River another in Conover and a 3rd in Mercer so depending on the snow is where we'll stay.  Still motel it or AB&B if we need to find snow.  Hot tub is a nice extra.  We keep on talking about backpacking but it just never seems to pan out.

Wife likes to motel it but when we do last minute trip it's just to our place.

Got a text today that we should look at the snowtrain trip in Canada like his parents took years ago.  Anybody have any recent if on this?

• Like 1

3 hours and all of Wisconsin trails close for the session, I came so close to going to Mercer for the last ride but the stars were not in my favor. 20 Min ago Great Northern Motel.  

222222.jpg

Still a butt load of snow.  Around thigh deep.  Trails are great.  Drifty in spots because it's windy AF.  Off trail is pretty good too.  Some of the best riding right now 

• Like 1

It's official here ... done.  We spent the morning and early afternoon picking up trail signs (and trying not to get stuck).  I couldn't believe some of the areas and the amount of snow that was still lingering?!?!?  But, I'm not gonna lie - I'm ready for the change in the weather and logging some time on the RZR now.  My buddy, that I was riding with today in our club SxS, ended up with 4800+ miles for the season - only about 4x as many as me!! LOL

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bontz said:

It's official here ... done.  We spent the morning and early afternoon picking up trail signs (and trying not to get stuck).  I couldn't believe some of the areas and the amount of snow that was still lingering?!?!?  But, I'm not gonna lie - I'm ready for the change in the weather and logging some time on the RZR now.  My buddy, that I was riding with today in our club SxS, ended up with 4800+ miles for the season - only about 4x as many as me!! LOL

That’s a great season… I’m holding out going in the mud for a few more days.  Hoping the sun and 70’s we have coming will dry things out a bit.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

I'd love another ride, but can't go until next weekend. Coming back from Europe tomorrow so if up north holds....

A couple of us are thinking 10+ days out with our schedules