Indy Specialties

Jimmy Snacks

• Platinum Contributing Member

Patriot 850 out the door and ready to rip today! This one equipped with our billet PTO upgrade, billet long rods, custom domes, and topped off with our billet flowmaster head!

#indyspecialty #patriot #850 #Polaris #polarissnow #americanmade

4F97EC9F-EDE3-4871-8384-B25390A8EEBE.thumb.jpeg.79e4d974b7d049e64f3410b173780891.jpeg861ACF0A-060A-4672-A22D-46E1204156A1.thumb.jpeg.4eb8d9f7ad73591c61d814f3d050f6f3.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Patriot 850 out the door and ready to rip today! This one equipped with our billet PTO upgrade, billet long rods, custom domes, and topped off with our billet flowmaster head!

4F97EC9F-EDE3-4871-8384-B25390A8EEBE.thumb.jpeg.79e4d974b7d049e64f3410b173780891.jpeg861ACF0A-060A-4672-A22D-46E1204156A1.thumb.jpeg.4eb8d9f7ad73591c61d814f3d050f6f3.jpeg

Beauty 

• Like 1

Dan's a good egg ... opinionated as they come, but then again look at all of us!! LOL  I've met him multiple times, since he's in this area, and even had him do some work on my earlier model 2011-2012 Rush and Switchback sleds.  He runs a legit shop - albeit pricey.  But I'd pay for his stuff any day of the week over BMP or SSI.

• Like 1

As some of you know I put a few miles on… on the last ride back to the trailer, I could hear some noise coming from the motor.  Had them do a compression test before tearing it down - just out of curiosity - 124/5% leak down in one hole, 100/60% on the other.  Turns out it had a broken ring!  So ran it right to the end and got lucky the last 60 miles back to the trailer…12,034 miles isn’t too bad of a run on the stock motor.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bontz said:

Dan's a good egg ... opinionated as they come, but then again look at all of us!! LOL  I've met him multiple times, since he's in this area, and even had him do some work on my earlier model 2011-2012 Rush and Switchback sleds.  He runs a legit shop - albeit pricey.  But I'd pay for his stuff any day of the week over BMP or SSI.

For what it's worth, Dan doesn't own Indy specialty any more, he sold to his employee Devin. I was there the fall of last season getting picking up an engine.

3 minutes ago, MnDean said:

For what it's worth, Dan doesn't own Indy specialty any more, he sold to his employee Devin. I was there the fall of last season getting picking up an engine.

Yup, Devin is good shit too.

Last year I pulled the motor on my 800 to freshen it up. I decided to push the easy button and take to Indy specialty.

Traded in my the old for a new engine,injectors,oil pump, fuel sock ect.

I didn't run the billet head, put a stock 18 head and thermostat on it.

I put maybe 150 miles on the new engine and bang it was done.

You know your really fucked when you open the side panel and see bolts, chunks of aluminum, pieces of oil lines ect.

The failure was a big mistory to Devin, the bearings looked good to him.

They covered some of the cost for the repair, but none of the collateral damage, like reeds, intake boot, water pump cover, hoses ect.

20210821_144517.jpg

20210924_102034.jpg

IMG959911.jpg

Edited by MnDean
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Doug said:

Don't always respectfully agree with his theories on motors but he does do quality work.

Yeah, he had quite the hard on for the whole long connecting rod deal, on the older 800’s but then turns tail and says all you need as a REALLY expensive hone job and factory pistons. 

Unfortunately, for as big as snowmobiling is here in Michigan, we seriously lack reputable Polaris specific shops like Indy Specialties. For instance, I’d love to have the primary clutch service done to both of my sleds but $250 each, plus shipping, keeps that from happening.

Their primary clutch kit is a new spring and some adjustable weights. Not super rocket science there and honestly, unless you always want to tinker with your clutching, the adjustable weights are not worth the money, imo. 

I do like their suspension bushing kits and they do seem to have a good reputation. However, if one of their complete engines sawed itself in half, in short order, and they didn’t want to cover ever single bit of damage? I’d legit lose my shit. 

20 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

19 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I think so too…he does damn good work.👊🏻❄️🇺🇸

That yours? :dunno:

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Their primary clutch kit is a new spring and some adjustable weights. Not super rocket science there and honestly, unless you always want to tinker with your clutching, the adjustable weights are not worth the money, imo. 

I like the adjustable weights for the purpose of being able to dial my sleds into what I'm looking for -vs- having 4-5 different sets of weight to try and maybe a couple more that may have been ground to a different weight.  Can even move weight from tip to heel using aluminum set screws without grinding the weights.  Once dialed in don't change them much after that.

Not a clutch kit guy myself.  Every rider in not looking for the same clutch setup to match their riding style.  Just like there is no single clutch kit to match every riding style.  Don't make sense to spend $200 to $300 on a clutch kit not matched to the riding conditions the owner is going to ride the sled in.

Just my take but there's good information out there to read up on to get a good understanding of clutching so you can get your sled dialed in to what your looking for.

When buying a clutch kit it would be worth asking before purchasing a clutch kit what application is it ment for?  Trail riding - Lake/River riding - hill climbing- snow cross.  There's not one clutch kit that works for all.

5 hours ago, Doug said:

I like the adjustable weights for the purpose of being able to dial my sleds into what I'm looking for -vs- having 4-5 different sets of weight to try and maybe a couple more that may have been ground to a different weight.  Can even move weight from tip to heel using aluminum set screws without grinding the weights.  Once dialed in don't change them much after that.

Not a clutch kit guy myself.  Every rider in not looking for the same clutch setup to match their riding style.  Just like there is no single clutch kit to match every riding style.  Don't make sense to spend $200 to $300 on a clutch kit not matched to the riding conditions the owner is going to ride the sled in.

Just my take but there's good information out there to read up on to get a good understanding of clutching so you can get your sled dialed in to what your looking for.

When buying a clutch kit it would be worth asking before purchasing a clutch kit what application is it ment for?  Trail riding - Lake/River riding - hill climbing- snow cross.  There's not one clutch kit that works for all.

Totally agree on what you’re saying, about clutching and no one size fits all. That’s why I have tinkered with my own clutching mods on my own sleds, in years past, but won’t build anyone a clutch “kit” for their sleds when asked. 

I’ve played some with adjustable weights but honestly don’t see the need, for myself. Like you said, once I find a point that I like, I stick with that. I can usually find that with one to two sets of weights and maybe some grinding. Way cheaper than a set of adjustable weights. For someone that wants to consistently be able to clutch perfect for every condition, or racing, I think adjustables are the way to go. For my sleds, I’m happy to be good to go in most conditions, not perfect in all. Plus, I’m not going to want to stop every little bit during a riding day just to fiddle with my stuff. I’d rather be riding. :bc:

• Gold Member

Took my 12' 800 engine to Dan.  Got it home and installed and he called an said he got some bad bearings.  Pulled the motor back out.  Sent pics through the intake.  He gave me the ok.  Hauled it up north.   Indy specialties motor went 9 miles and split the crank in two.  While I was in da yoop on a week long trip.  Was pissed.  Bought a new sled from Pats in Greenland and just bought my 7th new one from him last thursday.  I don't put the miles on that mag6240 does so I just figure if I trade every couple years its minimal maintenance and ride!  Dan seemed way to "caffeinated" for me.  High strung sob.  

Edited by poopooforme
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
37 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Took my 12' 800 engine to Dan.  Got it home and installed and he called an said he got some bad bearings.  Pulled the motor back out.  Sent pics through the intake.  He gave me the ok.  Hauled it up north.   Indy specialties motor went 9 miles and split the crank in two.  While I was in da yoop on a week long trip.  Was pissed.  Bought a new sled from Pats in Greenland and just bought my 7th new one from him last thursday.  I don't put the miles on that mag6240 does so I just figure if I trade every couple years its minimal maintenance and ride!  Dan seemed way to "caffeinated" for me.  High strung sob.  

I’ve talked  to Paul (I think that’s his name) from Pats a couple times about sleds…nice guy.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Bontz said:

BMP is a hit and miss.  Debated them when they had their 800 fix kit with the spacer plate lifting the cylinder .375.  They used a couple different aftermarket piston manufacturers with an altered pin location but the piston was the same length as stock.  They claimed it gave the piston better support because it had more cylinder surface support.  Told them that is not the case unless they would extend the cylinder itself longer.  With the spacer they were pulling the bottom of the piston out of the cylinder even further and the spacer was not a supporting member of the cylinder or piston.  

Edited by Doug

2 hours ago, poopooforme said:

He can definitely come across that way at times ... which in the world of customer service shouldn't ever happen.  When he's not acting like a high strung snob, he's really good to talk to & work with.  That said, I don't have a reason to do business with him (or any aftermarket place) since I've come to the realization stock is just fine for the way I ride & the group I ride with.

• Like 2