Anyone running the 1.6 Cobra on the trail? Just bought an XCR!

poopooforme

• Gold Member

Wasn't going to buy a new sled this year with two dismal milage years but I fell in love with an XCR.  Only thing it has that I wouldn't have ordered is the 1.6 Cobra.   Coming off 3 sleds with the 1.35 cobra what am I to think of this?  If we get snow round home its never very deep.  Rode in 2ft of fresh pow in N Sconnie last winter and no complaints with the 1.35.  Debating having dealer swap for a 1.25 ice ripper.  IDK.....

2 hours ago, poopooforme said:

Wasn't going to buy a new sled this year with two dismal milage years but I fell in love with an XCR.  Only thing it has that I wouldn't have ordered is the 1.6 Cobra.   Coming off 3 sleds with the 1.35 cobra what am I to think of this?  If we get snow round home its never very deep.  Rode in 2ft of fresh pow in N Sconnie last winter and no complaints with the 1.35.  Debating having dealer swap for a 1.25 ice ripper.  IDK.....

Just got done working on a 2020 XCR with a 1.75 track on.  He rides central/Northern Wisconsin so never really deep snow.  The trails will start getting icey in the corners and hills mid season and he normally studs his sleds so he missed having studs.  Was debating to use Igrips, shave the track down and stud it or find a shorter lug track and swap it out and stud it.  Decided to shave the track down to a 1.31 lug and stud it.

I know some guys like a 1.60 track be they seem to be the guys that will do some off trail riding.

If you normally stud your sled I'd have the track changed out.

If the dealer is reasonable enough to get you into a Ripsaw or the 1.352 cobra, it may be worth it .... but I think the 1.6 with a set of screw-in style studs (iGrips or Icemaster) would surprise you at how well it can work.

13 hours ago, poopooforme said:

I have never studded my sleds.  I think I will give it a go.  Can always trade it next spring.....LOL

So is that your final decision 🤔.  If you didn't stud your sleds would be a good direction to try.  Around home I'll run the lake or rivers on occasion if the trails are not open so I've always studded my sleds.

Yep.  Ripsaw is completely useless. Backcountry is by far my favorite track without studs.

22 hours ago, poopooforme said:

I have never studded my sleds.  I think I will give it a go.  Can always trade it next spring.....LOL

Pretty easy to change the track in an evening so if you don't like it you are just a simple garage night away from a change

On 12/10/2022 at 6:06 AM, poopooforme said:

Drunk skidoo guy says what????

OK then.   I also have a 22 Indy 850 XC in my garage.    The 1.6 track sucks balls in just about all conditions.    I have had 2 sleds with it already.  

On 12/9/2022 at 6:19 AM, poopooforme said:

Report back once you get some time on your sled.  May be your track of choice once you ride it.

• 1 month later...

Since this came back up to the top:  One of the guys in my club, unbeknownst to me, ordered his 2022 XCR with the 1.6 Cobra.  He loves it!  I have yet to put my butt on his seat to try it, but the guy can ride, and that little extra lug comes in handy in some deeper off trail stuff - he's proven that to me a couple times!

• Like 1

If I ever convince myself to snowcheck again, that track is going to be a serious consideration.  Riding locally this weekend, there was enough snow to make it "loose riding conditions" and I think that track would shine.  Even in harder packed trails, I think it would be just fine.  The only drawback would be WOT / racing type of stuff, which we rarely do anymore.

If you are planning on studding, I would go with the 1.352".  If no studs, either would be fine.  For studding the 1.352" Cobra was treated like a regular 1.25" track.  The 1.6" will be more like a 1.5" track.  Not that unreasonable in a trail track unless it is always hard pack or running lakes.

I have the Ice Ripper 1.5" now after coming from a 1.352" Cobra studded.  Lug height isn't a problem.  The best way to explain the the Ice Ripper is it's about half way between an unstudded and studded track.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bontz said:

If I ever convince myself to snowcheck again, that track is going to be a serious consideration.  Riding locally this weekend, there was enough snow to make it "loose riding conditions" and I think that track would shine.  Even in harder packed trails, I think it would be just fine.  The only drawback would be WOT / racing type of stuff, which we rarely do anymore.

A 1.3+ Cobra studded is a great track.  

The 1.6 has far too much lug flick 

:roflcrying:

• 2 months later...