best late 90's to mid 2000's ass draggers?

I'm bored... 

so, surfing around last night and this morning I was thinking about and looking for an old ass dragger to tinker with once sled prices come back to reality.  since I enjoy the little engines I found myself looking at/for a 2002ish ZR 500/600 Cross Country or F5 Firecat.  

probably won't buy one but what were your favorite, somewhat reliable sleds from the that era?  BRP and Polaris models are acceptable but as always open to ridicule. 

;)

The xc600s of that era were good sleds. Fast to. We put like 15,000 miles on our 05 and it never blew up. 

i would also do a zr over a firecat. The non apv 600 twin I would stay away from though. Blew those up many times. My 500 was good. 

10 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The xc600s of that era were good sleds. Fast to. We put like 15,000 miles on our 05 and it never blew up. 

i would also do a zr over a firecat. The non apv 600 twin I would stay away from though. Blew those up many times. My 500 was good. 

Well you're hard on stuff. Just ask Jimmy ramstad lol

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm bored... 

so, surfing around last night and this morning I was thinking about and looking for an old ass dragger to tinker with once sled prices come back to reality.  since I enjoy the little engines I found myself looking at/for a 2002ish ZR 500/600 Cross Country or F5 Firecat.  

probably won't buy one but what were your favorite, somewhat reliable sleds from the that era?  BRP and Polaris models are acceptable but as always open to ridicule. 

;)

I had a 2001.5 ZR 500….loved that sled.👊🏻❄️

I just remember  seeing the wide running boards and handlebar hooks and wanting it.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Now we're talkin.

Some that I would like to get .

96 zr440

Any z440 sp

94-95 zr 700 or the 96 wildcat (looks awesome)

95 z440 with sp motor 

93 ext Z or 92 ext special

95 cougar I guess 

If I was going to get a zr600 I'd try to get the y2k sled.  Otherwise I'd probably try to get the zr500 instead but I'm not really interested in either, been there done it and still have the baddest zr3 known to man.

96 thundercat

I tend to like the pre FasTrack sleds, they sit lower and handle better, and you shouldn't have one ounce of care of repeated big bump absorption if you're considering any of these sleds.  Smooth trails only and they'll fly.

Polaris made some cool vintage rides.  Some of those early xcr440's would be cool.  Not for me but for someone into that stuff (gay)

And stay away from the skidoos they were just funky in all the years the rider triangle was fucked and they just suck.

The apv 600's can blow up too, I've seen it.  The 500's just seemed like a better motor to me.  And HP in the mid 90's.

And I never used to be into them but I'm getting into the afs sleds.  The afs ext special would be cool but $$ and the afs wildcat has really grown on me also 

Edited by mnstang

41 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Well you're hard on stuff. Just ask Jimmy ramstad lol

So must my dad, my uncle, and 2 of his buddies. I can’t think of anyone in our group that didn’t blow up a non apv600 lol. The pv600 was a much better. But Jimmy knows better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Now we're talkin.

96 zr440

Any z440 sp

94-95 zr 700

95 z440 with sp motor 

95 cougar I guess 

If I was going to get a zr600 I'd try to get the y2k sled.  Otherwise I'd probably try to get the zr500 instead but I'm not really interested in either, been there done it and still have the baddest zr3 known to man.

96 thundercat

I tend to like the pre FasTrack sleds, they sit lower and handle better, and you shouldn't have one ounce of care of repeated big bump absorption if you're considering any of these sleds.  Smooth trails only and they'll fly.

Polaris made some cool vintage rides.  Some of those early xcr440's would be cool.  Not for me but for someone into that stuff (gay)

And stay away from the skidoos they were just funky in all the years the rider triangle was fucked and they just suck.

The apv 600's can blow up too, I've seen it.  The 500's just seemed like a better motor to me.  And HP in the mid 90's.

Wasn’t there a rare configuration of the zr500 that was basically the 440 with the apv500 engine it?? It wasn’t the 02 xc edition you could get I am thinking of.

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Now we're talkin.

96 zr440

Any z440 sp

94-95 zr 700 or the 96 wildcat (looks awesome)

95 z440 with sp motor 

95 cougar I guess 

96 thundercat

And I never used to be into them but I'm getting into the afs sleds.  The afs ext special would be cool but $$ and the afs wildcat has really grown on me also 

last ass draggers I had was the 97 ZR 580 efi and it was a fantastic sled imo.  then, a total absence from riding until 2017 so I missed out on a few of the sleds before rider forward.  were the Firecats really that horrible for trails because I honestly don't know?  

the F5 from what I've read and watched was a quick little thing, and of course we all know of the legendary 2003 F7... :lol:

This guy has some fun videos of the older stuff and scored a gorgeous VMAX that had some engine troubles.  

https://youtube.com/@minnowlaketuning

like I said... I'm bored.  :)

13 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Wasn’t there a rare configuration of the zr500 that was basically the 440 with the apv500 engine it?? It wasn’t the 02 xc edition you could get I am thinking of.

I seem to recall reading there was an early ZR 500 that had black belly pans that were real rippers and ran with 600's until 100 

:dunno:

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

last ass draggers I had was the 97 ZR 580 efi and it was a fantastic sled imo.  then, a total absence from riding until 2017 so I missed out on a few of the sleds before rider forward.  were the Firecats really that horrible for trails because I honestly don't know?  

the F5 from what I've read and watched was a quick little thing, and of course we all know of the legendary 2003 F7... :lol:

This guy has some fun videos of the older stuff and scored a gorgeous VMAX that had some engine troubles.  

https://youtube.com/@minnowlaketuning

like I said... I'm bored.  :)

I'm not a huge fan of the firecats but some of that may be because of the bro-wners and all that.

I've rode them and they are less stable than a zr, they just don't have that solid feel to the trail that the zr's have.  Whether it's the 13.5" track or something else I don't know.  They are pretty reliable though.  I think all these older sleds are pretty reliable.  The zr600's were probably the least reliable motors and they still weren't that bad 

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I seem to recall reading there was an early ZR 500 that had black belly pans that were real rippers and ran with 600's until 100 

:dunno:

The Early build 98's.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The spring 98's were different.  I think if you look them up in the parts catalog it is even a different listing.  I think the sleds were also quite a bit lighter than the final production zr.  Not sure the exact differences to the motor though 

• Gold Member

01-02' zr 5 or 600 apv.

2001-05 xc sp /edge xs  in 5 or 600 cc

mxz 500 2002 pre ho ring eaters.

if ya like the bumps. 01-04 pro x 600. or x2 600.

all of these are really nice looking fun sleds.the polaris/mxz get the edge over the cat because of weightless reverse.

best handling goes to the cat. looks i think there all great in that era.best looking sleds made by all 3 manus if you ask me outside some of the big triples of that era.

Edited by ZR800efi

8 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'm not a huge fan of the firecats but some of that may be because of the bro-wners and all that.

I've rode them and they are less stable than a zr, they just don't have that solid feel to the trail that the zr's have.  Whether it's the 13.5" track or something else I don't know.  They are pretty reliable though.  I think all these older sleds are pretty reliable.  The zr600's were probably the least reliable motors and they still weren't that bad 

My Bro does actually own an F7 :lol:

He is so used to it he can ride it pretty hard and carve up the twistys.

Edited by Sled_Hed

• Gold Member

buddy  bought a new in 01' zr 500.first year apv motor. ate up alot of 600s including a twin piped zr 600 made the year prior non valved.

it would top end my buddies 02 mxz 500 every time on a 1000'

he never really got beat up by many 600s except for a very hot running edge x 600 01' another buddy had , but his was smoking 7s so no shame there.

Edited by ZR800efi

My brother bought a 99 XC 500 before power valves, and the thing ran like complete garbage until I changed the pilot jets and dropped the needles one clip.  Put over 10k on that sled after he gave it to me at 1100 miles, and the guy I sold it to has put another 2500 on it without touching the motor.  It was pig rich from the factory, but those small changes woke that thing up nicely.  (I know, this isn't your normal ALL CAT conversation anymore!)

I really liked this thing back in the day - smooth twisty northern Sconnie trails were always a blast!

448EA9AB-CF73-4E44-88D8-0ECFDA37D15C.jpeg

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

My Bro does actually own an F7 :lol:

He is so used to it he can ride it pretty hard and carve up the twistys.

I'm sure if you either got used to it or made some adjustments it would be better.  When I've ride them it was swapping with a buddy on the trail, going from my zr to the f7 it was pretty noticeable!  And that 700 motor felt like it made zero torque too don't tell Iceman!

just serviced an early 2000s sxr 600. carbs stolen when new and never ridden since. has 89 miles on it. used carbs and it runs perfect. just serviced an 05 xc500 with 500 miles on it. another cream puff. amazing how something so old can be so nice and new stuff can be shot. all in the care. 

• Like 3

the other thing... 100hp sled would do 100mph back then.

now how many hp do you need to go 100mph consistently?   

don't get me wrong... the newer sleds are far better to ride but that chassis efficiency is long gone imo

33 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

My brother bought a 99 XC 500 before power valves, and the thing ran like complete garbage until I changed the pilot jets and dropped the needles one clip.  Put over 10k on that sled after he gave it to me at 1100 miles, and the guy I sold it to has put another 2500 on it without touching the motor.  It was pig rich from the factory, but those small changes woke that thing up nicely.  (I know, this isn't your normal ALL CAT conversation anymore!)

I really liked this thing back in the day - smooth twisty northern Sconnie trails were always a blast!

448EA9AB-CF73-4E44-88D8-0ECFDA37D15C.jpeg

Please bring the Polaris stuff in to the discussion, @EvilBird and I added some to the what are you getting ready thread.

22 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'm sure if you either got used to it or made some adjustments it would be better.  When I've ride them it was swapping with a buddy on the trail, going from my zr to the f7 it was pretty noticeable!  And that 700 motor felt like it made zero torque too don't tell Iceman!

Don't be hating on the laydown 700! Lol

My sled is probably still considered an ass dragged by most people. 

• Like 1