best late 90's to mid 2000's ass draggers?

On 3/8/2023 at 5:03 PM, mnstang said:

I guess I will disagree.  Power can make up things or change things but it cannot do many things.  They will never be as manueverable as something much lighter, lower, and packaged tightly.  They didn't use words like mass centralization back then but these old ones I'm into are packed tightly.  Even the later zr's were worse, belly panels and hoods and suspension were all spread out much further and that makes a big difference.  Under hood items spread out further.  Even if similar on a scale, spreading weight out over a bigger area makes a big difference for controlling it.

Have you ridden one of these Axys sleds??  Have you seen how packed things are under the hood?

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

Have you ridden one of these Axys sleds??  Have you seen how packed things are under the hood?

They're still wider, taller, longer, heavier.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

Met the famous ass dragger fb'er Nick Leigh at a bar last night.  Pretty random.  Talked for a while.  Out catted him.

friend of mine just picked up a Doo mod sled from him... and Nick has a nice collection

Took my ass dragger on a real trip.  You just can't get better.  Too much fun I don't think you can have more fun, shredded up every turn blowing out every berm.

*Safely 

PXL_20230318_211208347.jpg

PXL_20230318_231351055.jpg

PXL_20230318_230203194.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The best precise handling sled I have on SMOOTH flat trails would be my 1994 XCR 600.  No way in hell would I want to put a 100+ mile day on that sled compared to the current model sleds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

The best precise handling sled I have on SMOOTH flat trails would be my 1994 XCR 600.  No way in hell would I want to put a 100+ mile day on that sled compared to the current model sleds.

We do that all the time, we have more fun on them 

56 minutes ago, mnstang said:

We do that all the time, we have more fun on them 

Until the trail gets rough... or someday when your back says "Enough already!".

@Doug I had my 1993 XCR440 out last spring on a vintage ride, and just for the hell of it, I took it out of town where I knew the trail was smooth, and yeah, what a blast!  But again, no way I'm doing 100+ miles on one of those, much less the 200 we average on the new stuff.  Ride and seating position is just sooooo much better for our old bodies, not to mention when trails get rough.

3 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

And we wondered why putting on 100 miles in a day back then was a big deal...

I use to ride 200+ miles a day on those old sleds. The newer sleds we hardly ever ride more than 120 miles and stay in one spot now.