best late 90's to mid 2000's ass draggers?

6 hours ago, mnstang said:

Vintage runs are always a good time

Used to be a big part of my winter. One year I went to like 7 different vintage rides. Now I don't have any vintage sleds, Dad still has a pile though.

20 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Used to be a big part of my winter. One year I went to like 7 different vintage rides. Now I don't have any vintage sleds, Dad still has a pile though.

I like the early 90's sleds.  You can take part in vintage events and also legit trail ride them.  I don't have any emotional connections to the 70's stuff otherwise maybe I'd dabble there 

19 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I'm thinking I might look for a couple older Panthers or something and do a couple vintage rides as a family thing.

It's really a fun enjoyable time with friends 

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

I like the early 90's sleds.  You can take part in vintage events and also legit trail ride them.  I don't have any emotional connections to the 70's stuff otherwise maybe I'd dabble there 

I get that. I grew up riding a 73 Scorpion. My dad and brother decided to restore it in I think 07 and they got the vintage bug pretty good. I got into it a year or later and had a variety over the years. 

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

I get that. I grew up riding a 73 Scorpion. My dad and brother decided to restore it in I think 07 and they got the vintage bug pretty good. I got into it a year or later and had a variety over the years. 

I did grow up on a 76 JAG and we also had a redhead stepchild 81 Polaris ss440 that was a pile but then we got the 90's jag and puma and I never really cared about the old stuff after that.  They're fun to look at but I don't want them for me.  And I don't have a slew of parts for them!  Once you start keeping parts for one kind of sled it makes it very convenient to pick up more of those sleds.

Biiiig jag family 😂

6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I did grow up on a 76 JAG and we also had a redhead stepchild 81 Polaris ss440 that was a pile but then we got the 90's jag and puma and I never really cared about the old stuff after that.  They're fun to look at but I don't want them for me.  And I don't have a slew of parts for them!  Once you start keeping parts for one kind of sled it makes it very convenient to pick up more of those sleds.

Biiiig jag family 😂

For sure on the parts interchangeability. Had a couple odd balls that were a little harder to find parts for. Settled on cats for that reason. Dad still has probably 50 sleds between nice ones and parts sleds, I'll have to snap a couple pics in his shop sometime. Here's one my brother did a nut and bolt on a few years ago.

facebook_1595156332789_6690570587245148314.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

:roflcrying:

Those d bags got murdered in the races at erx. Their tricks to soup them up had nothing on the farmers dug out their old race sleds and people that road 20 years and bought a duct tape special on market place 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

Those d bags got murdered in the races at erx. Their tricks to soup them up had nothing on the farmers dug out their old race sleds and people that road 20 years and bought a duct tape special on market place 

looks like you had a hell of a good time based on the pics and videos that kept dinging my phone... :roflcrying:

On 2/12/2023 at 4:06 AM, Not greg b said:

I saw they said they'd be there, I knew they were going to get destroyed.  It's just ass draggers but they race them pretty hard and I don't think those guys are racers.  Still looking forward to their video of it though 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm bored... 

so, surfing around last night and this morning I was thinking about and looking for an old ass dragger to tinker with once sled prices come back to reality.  since I enjoy the little engines I found myself looking at/for a 2002ish ZR 500/600 Cross Country or F5 Firecat.  

probably won't buy one but what were your favorite, somewhat reliable sleds from the that era?  BRP and Polaris models are acceptable but as always open to ridicule. 

;)

If looking at that the 500 . The twin pipe twin carb firecat 500 is the tix if you can find one only 1st yr and only early build in season were single pipe single carb and not a 110hp race motor 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

If looking at that the 500 . The twin pipe twin carb firecat 500 is the tix if you can find one only 1st yr and only early build in season were single pipe single carb and not a 110hp race motor 

I don't think there was ever a single carb f5.  And this is the first I've ever heard of a twin pipe f5

5 hours ago, Not greg b said:

There was a single throttle body efi saber cat/f series F5 

Sorta.  Sabercat only I believe.  I own two.  2006 was the only year for EFI, single throttle body, no powervalves.  All F5 were dual carb powervalve motors which was worth 20 extra HP 85 vrs. 105.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:43 PM, Sled_Hed said:

For sure on the parts interchangeability. Had a couple odd balls that were a little harder to find parts for. Settled on cats for that reason. Dad still has probably 50 sleds between nice ones and parts sleds, I'll have to snap a couple pics in his shop sometime. Here's one my brother did a nut and bolt on a few years ago.

facebook_1595156332789_6690570587245148314.jpg

Is that a 69 with a wankle?