Couples Who Combine Finances Are Happier. So Why Don’t More Do It?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/couples-who-combine-finances-are-happier-so-why-dont-more-do-it-11670174525?st=b0zsmf6nimengug&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

We tried the separate finances with one joint account, it didn't work.  Joint finances for married couples is the way to go.  We plan and budget together to meet our goals.

All couples hitch their fortunes together. Only some choose to also pool their finances.

It might not seem as pressing a question as when to meet the parents or whether to start a family, but deciding to move your money in together can have a big impact on future wealth. Couples who combine bank, credit-card and investing accounts are happier in the long term and find that pooling resources helps clear the path to traditional money milestones such as buying a house and saving for retirement, studies have found. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Anler said:

People who are not married are happier... 

Signed,

Science

Not all.

Never understood couples with separate accounts. 

• Like 4

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, ACE said:

Same. Seems like separate finances cause more fights than they save 

Leads to mistrust....I see no reason for it.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

Same. Seems like separate finances cause more fights than they save 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Same here, but do whatever works.

Financial mistrust is not helpful.

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

For example buddy and his wife are separate finances. His wife has insurance from work for child medication.

well she didn’t feel like doing the paperwork so then she wanted buddy to pay for the meds for their kid then they had this monster multi day fight over it when it really shouldn’t be a big deal at all 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

If you want to blame separation of finances as a reason for mistrust, you have a demented sense of relationship.

There is zero reason to combine finances.  I have a relationship with my wife and it is open and clear without hiding nonsense.  We keep our finances separate for the ease of tracking and maintenance.  Combining them would just take extra work.  We both have access to each others accounts, but don't do anything with them.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

If you want to blame separation of finances as a reason for mistrust, you have a demented sense of relationship.

There is zero reason to combine finances.  I have a relationship with my wife and it is open and clear without hiding nonsense.  We keep our finances separate for the ease of tracking and maintenance.  Combining them would just take extra work.  We both have access to each others accounts, but don't do anything with them.

send me her account information and password, I'll get you all kinds of Kool stuff too! 

:roflcrying:

24 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Zero reason?  Oh ok.  :roll eyes:  I could say there is zero reason and more work to have separate finances too.  we have several joint accounts for different things and it works just fine for us.  

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

The longer we were married the less she worked and the more she bitched about money while spending it  :lol: :suicide:

Science can confirm I would be exponentially wealthier if I had never gotten married. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Zero reason?  Oh ok.  :roll eyes:  I could say there is zero reason and more work to have separate finances too.  we have several joint accounts for different things and it works just fine for us.  

So you do the more work anyways.  Perhaps instead of always trying to be contrarian you should read and comprehend once.

24 minutes ago, Anler said:

Science can confirm I would be exponentially wealthier if I had never gotten married. 

You married the wrong woman :P

So you do the more work anyways.  Perhaps instead of always trying to be contrarian you should read and comprehend once.

Both times! LOL

Have you looked in a mirror lately?  you stated in opinion and made it an absolute. it kind of demonstrates your lack of critical thinking skills.

Edited by DriftBusta

9 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Have you looked in a mirror lately?  you stated in opinion and made it an absolute. it kind of demonstrates your lack of critical thinking skills.

Even after the edit you need help.  That would be "an" opinion.  Not a surprise since you can't comprehend shit.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

We both have access to each others accounts, but don't do anything with them.

ie, joint accounts to summarize for you since you can't seem to comprehend a simple sentence.  

My wife and I used to have combined finances but we now have separate.

When my wife stopped working to take care of kids, it became an issue of her asking if she could buy XXXXX, because I paid the bills, and she didn't know the schedule. She didn't know what we had for free cash and when.

When she went back to work, she opened her own checking. Problem solved!

We have combined savings. We each have our own checking. I pay most of the bills. She pays some. She pays for most of the kid stuff and college, gifts, vacation, etc.

She bought my last sled.

We have never argued about money since.....

• Like 1

Money is the root of all evil lol. We have joint accounts and it'll save alot of grief if one of us goes before the other as well as having wills made out. One day I asked the wife how much we had left and she came up $50K short and I'm thinking WTF where did we spend that lol. She forgot one of the accounts .