how much of your big bore or turbo power do you consistently utilize?

21 minutes ago, MnDean said:

How would person figure out how much power they are utilizing? With out some sort of data recording/ reading software.

For me could I look at the miles vs hours, that might tell me something, if I had to make a guess I would say less than 40%

Next time I start my sled I’m going to look at the hour and miles and see what the average MPH is.

mileage divided by engine hours will tell you average mph 

The gauge has always reported average MPH.  Somewhere around 5 average because of having to stop and pull the sled around corners.   That and most of the parking lot hero shit is normally done at low speeds.  

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, MnDean said:

Yes , I think that is what I said ,without saying it.

Funny. C2C seems like a nice guy. I kinda see him as the Cliff Claven, Cheers actor for some of you young guys, of the FS sitcom. 

Cliff Clavin the man is a legend in my mind.... | Funny photos, Comic ...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Funny. C2C seems like a nice guy. I kinda see him as the Cliff Claven, Cheers actor for some of you young guys, of the FS sitcom. 

Cliff Clavin the man is a legend in my mind.... | Funny photos, Comic ...

let's get something perfectly straight here... I am not a nice guy 

:)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, MnDean said:

How would person figure out how much power they are utilizing? With out some sort of data recording/ reading software.

For me could I look at the miles vs hours, that might tell me something, if I had to make a guess I would say less than 40%

Next time I start my sled I’m going to look at the hour and miles and see what the average MPH is.

Most riders would be surprised if they actually figured out their real average MPH with that calculation.  It's lower than they think.  We tend to see higher numbers based on riding area and a demented mentality in our group.  We generally check at the end of each day to see how much the number changed.

I don't know how the OEM gauges do the average speed.  I see riders post high numbers and I bet those are moving averages.

I also run a NS1 setup with one sled and look at the graphing when I get a chance.  It surprises me how much throttle position varies even then I thought I was really hauling the mail.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Most riders would be surprised if they actually figured out their real average MPH with that calculation.  It's lower than they think.  We tend to see higher numbers based on riding area and a demented mentality in our group.  We generally check at the end of each day to see how much the number changed.

I don't know how the OEM gauges do the average speed.  I see riders post high numbers and I bet those are moving averages.

I also run a NS1 setup with one sled and look at the graphing when I get a chance.  It surprises me how much throttle position varies even then I thought I was really hauling the mail.

I've checked mine over 6K+ miles on the 500... 28.6mph.  :jawdrop:

Maybe I need to get a Boost or Thundercat? :roflcrying:

A big part of it is the type of trails one rides in my opinion.  Idle and warmup time get counted on the hour meter as well.  Ours trails locally are pretty twisty and windy.  @Not greg b can attest to that.  ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I've checked mine over 6K+ miles on the 500... 28.6mph.  :jawdrop:

Maybe I need to get a Boost or Thundercat? :roflcrying:

A big part of it is the type of trails one rides in my opinion.  Idle and warmup time get counted on the hour meter as well.  Ours trails locally are pretty twisty and windy.  @Not greg b can attest to that.  ;)

Checked my 850 today 32.16 average mph.  I'm sure that number will decrease as I put more miles on it. Should of got a 600, would be perfect my age bracket. :thumbsup:

Edited by MnDean
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MnDean said:

Checked my 850 today 32.16 average mph.  I'm sure that number will decrease as I put more miles on it. Should of got a 600, would be perfect my age bracket. :thumbsup:

160hp+... to average 32mph.  :)

it's sorta silly when you really think about it right?

5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

No more than a 707 hp Truck and your average over all speed is 45-55 mph town and Highway. :dunno:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Not silly at all, what could be better than riding around in the cold, hoping you can find some gas or looking for a place to go in and warm up. Makes perfect sense :cold:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MnDean said:

That's actually higher than most sleds on the trail.  In fact, I'd call it scootin along with that kind of number.

Why do you think the number will decrease?  I usually see the average go up after break in and early season junk riding.

I haven't looked at my XCR, but I know when we've kind of joked about this topic within our riding group - most of us were around 26mph to 30mph average (odometer / hours math).  I bet my XCR is incredibly low, given how long it takes to warm up vs. my previous 800's and 850's.  I think the highest number I saw for a 2-season sled was 29-point-something & that was on my 2016 Pro-X.

47 minutes ago, favoritos said:

That's actually higher than most sleds on the trail.  In fact, I'd call it scootin along with that kind of number.

Why do you think the number will decrease?  I usually see the average go up after break in and early season junk riding.

As I get older, I seem to get a little slower every year. 😒  but I do ride in small groups 3-4 people at most, so that helps keeping things moving. Most of the time it's just me and my son, so I have to scoot along or he will pass me, not quite ready to let that happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hey Tony, 

trying to figure out how to increase my average speed based upon crushing moguls.  pretty certain there's a resident physicist here to help us sort the math and wear and tear.

so, bare with my fifth attempt GED education level... 

EO = engine hours

M =miles traveled 

SOT = stay on throttle

TAB = throttle and brakes 

we're riding a mile long section of trail, there's 21-37" bumps/moguls with tops spaced 52" on average over the distance.  to ascertain the best overall mph average should we up our mph average, and aim to hit the tops of the moguls and skip across tops of them, OR use judicious amounts throttle and brake trying to hit and clean as many as possible at the bottom?   

I'm certain there may be opinions and conjecture with the given parameters but math never lies.  ;)

@mnstang & @AK440

wHUt d0 y0U d0?!!!!???¿?

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

hey Tony, 

trying to figure out how to increase my average speed based upon crushing moguls.  pretty certain there's a resident physicist here to help us sort the math and wear and tear.

EO = engine hours

M =miles traveled 

SOT = stay on throttle

we're riding a mile long section of trail, there's 21-37" bumps/moguls with tops spaced 52" on average over the distance.  to ascertain the best overall mph average should we up our mph average, and aim to hit the tops of the moguls and skip across tops of them, OR use judicious amounts throttle and brake trying to hit and clean as many as possible at the bottom?   

I'm certain there may be opinions and conjecture with the given parameters but math never lies.  ;)

@mnstang & @AK440

wHUt d0 y0U d0?!!!!???¿?

Your calculations are all off because the 129 is spinning up the face of each one while the 137 dead hooks.  Track speed ≠ land speed.  Unless you're on a 137.

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

hey Tony, 

EO = engine hours

M =miles traveled 

SOT = stay on throttle

@mnstang & @AK440

wHUt d0 y0U d0?!!!!???¿?

What about a mountain sled that spins the track at 90 mph all the time but only moves about 10mph across the snow?