how much of your big bore or turbo power do you consistently utilize?

20 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

wish I'd have taken a picture of the brand new piled up MXZ XRS last winter in Hayward that couldn't turn apparently and was piled into a 10"w maple tree.  everyone in our group, which were all Doo dwarves except me couldn't figure out how the hell it happened.  Apparently the rider should have been using your technique. :roflcrying:

The reason there are so many complaints about how doo's handle is because there have been so many of them on the trails.  More sleds, more idiots.

Almost every handling issue is because some think you need MORE Carbide, MORE Traction, MORE stiffness in the suspension, MORE EVERYTHING.  Crank the son of a bitch to infinity then complain about how the thing has hard steering, won't corner, won't transfer, and rides like a fuckin' buckboard.

5 minutes ago, jdsky said:

The reason there are so many complaints about how doo's handle is because there have been so many of them on the trails.  More sleds, more idiots.

Almost every handling issue is because some think you need MORE Carbide, MORE Traction, MORE stiffness in the suspension, MORE EVERYTHING.  Crank the son of a bitch to infinity then complain about how the thing has hard steering, won't corner, won't transfer, and rides like a fuckin' buckboard.

;)

https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/53994-suspension-chatter/

10 minutes ago, jdsky said:

its because they don't corner for shit. Even after god only knows how many front end re-designs, and attempts to go with taller spindles, there is no predictability.  Sometimes they turn, sometimes they don't, but they never have any consistency.  If they pushed the same all the time you can ride knowing that, if they didn't push you can deal with that, but you never know when one wants to go straight into the woods, or  turn.

The only sled I've been on that I didn't put the flipper to the bar coming out of corners, and into fields was a big turbo 998t.  Even on the lake you had to be paying attention before lighting it off.  At 100 it would lift the ski's and pull your arms, or blow the track off and try to go sideways.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

We actually didn't. Our accounts are ran by ghosts. 

Textron stabbed me in the back that day and I died in the bottom of a whoop and then you came along on your triple triple hitting all the bottoms like you should and hit my corpse which CATapulted you into a racist wall that Textron built and then you died too. 

The end.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, krom said:

its because they don't corner for shit. Even after god only knows how many front end re-designs, and attempts to go with taller spindles, there is no predictability.  Sometimes they turn, sometimes they don't,

This is why I always have to get off the sled and pull them around corners.  You must have missed that post.  I've been doing this since 2005. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mnstang said:

Textron stabbed me in the back that day and I died in the bottom of a whoop and then you came along on your triple triple hitting all the bottoms like you should and hit my corpse which CATapulted you into a racist wall that Textron built and then you died too. 

The end.

Wham! Wham! Wham! Way to dig the whoops out even deeper every lap. 

• Gold Member
37 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Better than you ever did Keyboard warrior Dave with no sled . 

You dont deserve Bubbles as you avatar. 

2 hours ago, AK440 said:

there were 150 competitors just in the ditch banger class... wtf do you think would happen to the course which wasn't ran in pristine conditions?

Iron Dog hasn't had a total of 150 competitors total in a decade... and that race is ran in as much dirt and mud as a Florida swamp buggy race. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

On 12/2/2022 at 3:53 PM, AK440 said:

I like to roll coal on all the small cars and lesser pick-ups when I’m heading out riding in my lifted F350 diesel. I require the 1 ton to haul my big dick around. I’m always spooling up cause that’s how I drive with my tuner set at max power. Then at the trail head I offload my turbo sled and spool the shit out of it on the stand just to see the slack jaws turn their heads. Then it’s straight to the lake to race for pinks. I use every bit of power every bit of the time when I’m riding the sled. The throttle might as well just be an off and on switch. There’s nothing in between for me. 

So, from one sentence we can tell the whole paragraph is a bunch of made up nonsense.  Not possible to fit your persona.  In fact, so absurd it screams to everyone the real situation.  Always covering up shit.  Love sled forums....don't own a sled.  Love the Iron Dog....can't ride for shit.  You know, the seriously sad absurd shit.  Almost like you aren't real.  Then you state the obvious lie.  Tells everyone the whole story.  Had you been truthful and told us all about your tweezer saga perhaps the forum would have pity on your stupid ass, but no.  You need a 1 ton.  ROFL.  Keep compensating!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

So, from one sentence we can tell the whole paragraph is a bunch of made up nonsense.  Not possible to fit your persona.  In fact, so absurd it screams to everyone the real situation.  Always covering up shit.  Love sled forums....don't own a sled.  Love the Iron Dog....can't ride for shit.  You know, the seriously sad absurd shit.  Almost like you aren't real.  Then you state the obvious lie.  Tells everyone the whole story.  Had you been truthful and told us all about your tweezer saga perhaps the forum would have pity on your stupid ass, but no.  You need a 1 ton.  ROFL.  Keep compensating!

Don’t be so mad that you have neither a sled nor a big dick. 

51 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Snow Boundries was a muddy shit show at best.

Funny thing about that video.  I think I've rode worse crap in the U.P. when it's busy and grooming equipment is down.  They add in another hazard up there.  There is also a pile of ding dongs coming from the other direction.  It's a hell of a workout physically and mentally.

To the original topic if that is allowed around here.

I haven't slapped a leg over the seat on a turbo for any real running.  They are fun as heck, but more than I'd like to hang on to all day.  Been running Cat 800 tinker toys most of the time and push them until I figure out what breaks.  Then, I usually try to come up with a fix to get the thing to last longer.  The old belt thing was a friggin expensive PIA.  That issue alone changed a lot of riding habits.   I don't run at 100% for long anymore.  Things just seem to break too fast when you hold em tight.  The slow evolution of changes over the years does let you hold them closer to the tippy top longer.  I do like the speed thing, so I try to clutch for higher speed cruising without popping the jug holders apart.  The best answer to the topic in may case might be that I use about 90% of the power about 75% of riding time.  The riding time percentage would be higher if I didn't worry about the ding dong factor.

• Like 3

I like the torquey power delivery of the 4 stroke turbos for sure.  A little more work in the twisties, but in the big country, its nice to hum along at 80-90 mph not deep into the thumb, motor just cruising, where a 2 stroke would be much higher the the rpm range.  Different strokes for different folks.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

I like the torquey power delivery of the 4 stroke turbos for sure.  A little more work in the twisties, but in the big country, its nice to hum along at 80-90 mph not deep into the thumb, motor just cruising, where a 2 stroke would be much higher the the rpm range.  Different strokes for different folks.

One time I got separated from my buddy, he took a wrong turn that I didn't even see and ended up somewhere about 20 miles away lol.  I was on my z1 turbo and this trail he took was straight, I think under some power lines.  It was night but I could always see multiple reflectors ahead so I just cruised at 100-105 for 10-15 miles straight and it was effortless and comfortable and still pretty quiet.  Some aspects of that sled were super nice and frankly unbeatable.  The kind of riding it excels at I just didn't do very often.  I probably wasn't much more than 1/4 throttle to cruise at that speed and every once in a while I'd give it a little and you would just heat the airflow rushing through the motor 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, favoritos said:

Funny thing about that video.  I think I've rode worse crap in the U.P. when it's busy and grooming equipment is down.  They add in another hazard up there.  There is also a pile of ding dongs coming from the other direction.  It's a hell of a workout physically and mentally.

To the original topic if that is allowed around here.

I haven't slapped a leg over the seat on a turbo for any real running.  They are fun as heck, but more than I'd like to hang on to all day.  Been running Cat 800 tinker toys most of the time and push them until I figure out what breaks.  Then, I usually try to come up with a fix to get the thing to last longer.  The old belt thing was a friggin expensive PIA.  That issue alone changed a lot of riding habits.   I don't run at 100% for long anymore.  Things just seem to break too fast when you hold em tight.  The slow evolution of changes over the years does let you hold them closer to the tippy top longer.  I do like the speed thing, so I try to clutch for higher speed cruising without popping the jug holders apart.  The best answer to the topic in may case might be that I use about 90% of the power about 75% of riding time.  The riding time percentage would be higher if I didn't worry about the ding dong factor.

Jim r says cats never breaks down and if you blow a belt it’s abuse. Same with a chassis failure 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Jim r says cats never breaks down and if you blow a belt it’s abuse. Same with a chassis failure 

That continuous marketing is interesting.  It doesn't help much in the real world.

It's kinda interesting to explore the concept of nothing breaking.  I should be the poster child of that.  I don't do engine mods.  I reinforce weak areas on the sleds.  The clutching that I do is for longer belt life and eliminating over rpm/slipping.  I also don't weigh crap.

I wish the marketing was true.  I wouldn't mind a repair list that includes nothing. 

Going back to the original question again.  I used to push these dang sleds a lot harder.  It's just not as much fun anymore.  I see what breaks and I'd rather keep riding.   Even with my mellower habits, I'm still putting my butt on spare seats way too often. 

3 hours ago, favoritos said:

That continuous marketing is interesting.  It doesn't help much in the real world.

It's kinda interesting to explore the concept of nothing breaking.  I should be the poster child of that.  I don't do engine mods.  I reinforce weak areas on the sleds.  The clutching that I do is for longer belt life and eliminating over rpm/slipping.  I also don't weigh crap.

I wish the marketing was true.  I wouldn't mind a repair list that includes nothing. 

Going back to the original question again.  I used to push these dang sleds a lot harder.  It's just not as much fun anymore.  I see what breaks and I'd rather keep riding.   Even with my mellower habits, I'm still putting my butt on spare seats way too often. 

Sounds like you need a good old ass dragger 

On 12/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, mnstang said:

One time I got separated from my buddy, he took a wrong turn that I didn't even see and ended up somewhere about 20 miles away lol.  I was on my z1 turbo and this trail he took was straight, I think under some power lines.  It was night but I could always see multiple reflectors ahead so I just cruised at 100-105 for 10-15 miles straight and it was effortless and comfortable and still pretty quiet.  Some aspects of that sled were super nice and frankly unbeatable.  The kind of riding it excels at I just didn't do very often.  I probably wasn't much more than 1/4 throttle to cruise at that speed and every once in a while I'd give it a little and you would just heat the airflow rushing through the motor 

I had an XF1100 turbo in 12-13, then a Renegage turbo and now an Expedition turbo.  Years past throw in an RX1, Apex, couple SRXs etc....yeah i love the big power for sure.  In Quebec and northern Main out this way you can use the power  :lol: 

• Like 1

How would person figure out how much power they are utilizing? With out some sort of data recording/ reading software.

For me could I look at the miles vs hours, that might tell me something, if I had to make a guess I would say less than 40%

Next time I start my sled I’m going to look at the hour and miles and see what the average MPH is.