My buddy stopped by today

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

This is the reason I don’t by purebred breeds anymore. The “designer” breeds are much healthier overall 

The confirmation breeders have literally destroyed the breed. Many want the perfect dog. 60% of all dobes will drop dead by 7-8 years old. And when I say drop dead….they fall over dead with zero warning. 20 years ago could easily live 13-15 years with no health issues. 

We had to put Finnegan, our golden, down on 2/20...  We got another year and a half longer than we thought we would, but still really sucks. He was the best dog I ever could have hoped for. We have another dog but she's pretty much the wife's. House is really empty now that he's gone.

IMG_9765.jpg

• Sad 4

55 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The confirmation breeders have literally destroyed the breed. Many want the perfect dog. 60% of all dobes will drop dead by 7-8 years old. And when I say drop dead….they fall over dead with zero warning. 20 years ago could easily live 13-15 years with no health issues. 

Both my shelties did the same at 7 and 8 respectively 

52 minutes ago, soeaster said:

We had to put Finnegan, our golden, down on 2/20...  We got another year and a half longer than we thought we would, but still really sucks. He was the best dog I ever could have hoped for. We have another dog but she's pretty much the wife's. House is really empty now that he's gone.

IMG_9765.jpg

Sorry man 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Lost my Doberman last weekend. Sudden cardiac event. She simply dropped dead where she was standing. Fucking dobes are ticking time bombs with their heart issues. It’s a one dog home now. 

sorry to hear that

11 hours ago, soeaster said:

IMG_9765.jpg

So sorry.😔

• Thanks 1

Lots of dogs are having g heart issues now days . A lot of people are pointing at the grain free food . I stoped with that stuff after my last one dropped way to early .

I litteraly make there food now . Every 2 mo I make a big batch and freeze it . Spent few hrs yesterday doing it 

Edited by Ez ryder

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I litteraly make there food now . Every 2 mo I make a big batch and freeze it . Spent few hrs yesterday doing it 

Interesting , what do you use to make it?

• Gold Member
21 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Lost my Doberman last weekend. Sudden cardiac event. She simply dropped dead where she was standing. Fucking dobes are ticking time bombs with their heart issues. It’s a one dog home now. 

Sorry to hear.  Always sucks losing a pet.  But I hope at least one of my dogs go the same way TBH.  Haven’t been lucky enough to have a pet just tip over.  Last one was rough at the house watching the executioner put her down.  Won’t take them to the vet anymore and just have a mobile service come to house to do the deed.

41 minutes ago, HSR said:

We did the same for a few years. Use rice and vegetables and any protein you can get. We used pork steaks mostly. The proportions for their digestive system was like half rice and quarter veg and quarter meat or some shit. The problem is they need to eat a bit more of it volume wise and they shit a bit more often. We didn’t notice much of a difference in his health between that and his dry food and he doesn’t have much of a preference. I will say their coats are shinier and softer on the homemade food but that could have been my imagination. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSR said:

Brown and white  rice ground chicken ground turkey sometimes chicken breast and thigh when I hit it right at Costco.   frozen  carrots frozen sweet potato frozen green beens . Corn . And every day a little bit of dry kibble .

Not much more money when a bag of food is north of 80 bucks . I get most of it in bulk at Costco. 

Kind of a pita but deff not good for anything to eat prosesed shit every day for there whole life . And life looks to be getting shorter for pets now days 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Brown and white  rice ground chicken ground turkey sometimes chicken breast and thigh when I hit it right at Costco.   frozen  carrots frozen sweet potato frozen green beens . Corn . And every day a little bit of dry kibble .

Not much more money when a bag of food is north of 80 bucks . I get most of it in bulk at Costco. 

Kind of a pita but deff not good for anything to eat prosesed shit every day for there whole life . And life looks to be getting shorter for pets now days 

How big of a bag ya buying for $80 ? I feed mine blue seal, about $1 a lbs

Just now, steve from amherst said:

How big of a bag ya buying for $80 ? I feed mine blue seal, about $1 a lbs

The big bag . And 80 is just a ballpark from the sensitive skin salmon stuff I get as supplement.  And that bag lasts a long time because between the 2 less than 1/2 cup a day between them . Also cook a few eggs for them when I am having eggs so call it 2 times a week 

Also 1 of my dog had allergy shit for ever tried lots of diff foods .

After started making it issues gone 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Lots of dogs are having g heart issues now days . A lot of people are pointing at the grain free food . I stoped with that stuff after my last one dropped way to early .

I litteraly make their food now . Every 2 mo I make a big batch and freeze it . Spent few hrs yesterday doing it 

The FDA did a multimillion dollar study and the result were interesting. It’s questionable if grain free foods are really the problem. It’s more probable that the combination high heat cooking combined with high starch content of some kibble was the cause. With Dobermans it’s more a genetic mutation involving two bio markers. The heart enlarges and the walls thin. The heart wall becomes so thin it can no contract and the dogs drops dead where they stand. There’s some very good kibble on the market. A brand like Orijin is a very good food. 

Several top breeders I know have found no difference between feeding dogs raw vs top brand kibble. They all keep meticulous records of all the dogs they bred. They record lifespan, food type, type of work if they’re a working dog. When I learned that I stopped the hassle of a raw diet.