2023 Iron Dog - the toughest race known to man

AK440

2 hours ago, Badger** said:

Too bad, looks like a lot of teams DNF compared to other years. 15 teams finished the race which seems to be down compared to other years.   :dunno:

Not really. When you only have 25 entires way more than half finished the race. 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

He huffed it all 

:lol: I knew a native that had no front teeth because his feet slipped on the bottom of the boat and his mouth hit the steel milemaster huffing gas out fishing! True fucking story:lol2:

• 6 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 6:25 PM, AK440 said:

Nail biting suspense! The entire race is sitting in the shithole village of Galena. Why? Because the checkpoint doesn’t have enough gas. Sounds like someone stole some fuel drums so…. waiting for more gas to be hauled in from a different stink hole village. Bang up operation! 

On 2/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, AK440 said:

The finish is today. I’m sure it’ll be the same exact lineup it has been since the start. Ski-doo will be first followed by the same two Polaris teams. It’s been boring as fuck.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:18 PM, AK440 said:

Huh? The site you linked to is good, nice job.

It doesn’t change the fact that fewer and fewer people give a shit about the Iron Dog or snowmobile racing in general. Did you watch the race start on YouTube? They had high school kids filming it. They used to have the biggest local news station televise it on NBC. If you looked in the background the crowd wasn’t very big.

This race almost closed down for good 2-3 years ago. It’s currently on life support and I don’t see it being around much longer. Why would anyone want to sponsor an expensive to put on race way the fuck up in the middle of nowhere? It’s biggest fans are people like Frankie F7 who live in destitute, shit hole villages where no one has flush toilet, much less any money.  The racers end up, sleeping on school room floors as the school building is often the only one that has running water. Hotels and lodges don’t exist along much of the route. The race doesn’t provide lodging, it’s up to the racers to arrange for their own. 

The whole concept of the race is fucked. If you don’t have connections with local residents along the route who will feed you and provide a warm place to sleep in their own homes, you are at a huge disadvantage. Then add in the need for a goddamn airplane to fly you in parts that you don’t already have staged along route, and you lose the race because you didn’t have the money and connections for parts. The race has very little to do with skill or speed, it has everything to do with money, connections and who has more of both. 

On 2/18/2023 at 4:56 PM, AK440 said:

Notice how Channel 2 news, the NBC station did that video? Now they have fucking high school kids filming and posting to YouTube. 

The Iron Dog should have never gotten away from its initial concept. In the early years you had to carry all your parts with you. You had to repair your sled without outside help. That meant you had to ride the sled in such a manner so as not to break it. Just like how most every single snowmobile owner treats their own machine. Now the race is just a series of short sprints from one check point to the next. Break a part, have it flown in to the next check point and repair your sled there. What, can’t afford to have it flown in? Oh well, looks like you’re fucked. Race over and the $10’s of thousands of dollars you already spent, now pissed away. Maybe you can find Toutuk the native to sell you a part off their sled assuming they even have anything that modern. 

The race has gotten super boring. It’s won by the same 3-4 teams year after year who have the best support, best connections and best funding. Only a dipshit or some wealthy person looking for an adventure would enter the race to compete. At least with COR, local guys can enter to try it out without spending a fortune. The Iron Dog is never going to grow and will continue to fade away into obscurity as long as inflation and the economy stay the way they are.

Scott Davis is a general contractor who owns a big concrete business. The winning riders in the Iron Dog are the ones who are already quite wealthy. It’s not a race for the average guy. 

On 2/18/2023 at 5:10 PM, AK440 said:

Yes, yes, my tomfuckery wasn’t getting people stirred up the way I wanted. I don’t actually give two shits about the Iron Dog. 

Looks like I’ll need to switch to making fun of dipshits posting selfies of themselves with their mountain sleds on Instagram. 

I'm a little confused, can we clear some things up here?

• Haha 1