2023 Iron Dog - the toughest race known to man

AK440

15 hours ago, mnstang said:

He's mad because he lives in Alaska.  Highest suicide highest crime, worst women to men ratio, no sunlight, high cost of living, and 300 miles of mud trails.

https://youtu.be/DxURCtgH-ZQ

That link automatically embedded but I clicked the button to only display as a link.

When I was in Alaska I seen several women sporting this caption on there shirts, lot of truth in this statement. 

Screenshot_20221214-074901_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I've seen the local guy here running the ID out practicing twice now.  

I should give his sorry ass a call and go run around with him for a day or two.

The race is longer in one day than any USXC/COR event. :lol2:

Gym can't grasp riding all day long without continuously stopping to ride a wheelie and spray roost.  Gym's idea of riding a mogul is stopping at the bottom and spraying more roost to make the moguls bigger.  Gym sometimes sits trailside encouraging other riders to skim the tops of bumps.  Gym likes free entertainment.     

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

What the hell guys?! The Iron Dog stated today and no one noticed? WTF? 

Yeah, it started on Friday instead of the usual Saturday start because it’s that fricking bad ass and they need more time to travel the longer distance. 

• Like 1

Polaris is running 1,2 & 3.

This is the longest, toughest snowmobile race in the WORLD. Fags and pansies need not apply. Stay down in the lower 48 riding in a fucking ditch and avoiding mail boxes. :lol2:

• Haha 1

• AK440 changed the title to 2023 Iron Dog - the toughest race known to man
56 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Explains why you didn't apply.

This from the tub of shit who’s only race experience is racing to the toilet as his breakfast burrito says adios. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, AK440 said:

What the hell guys?! The Iron Dog stated today and no one noticed? WTF? 

Yeah, it started on Friday instead of the usual Saturday start because it’s that fricking bad ass and they need more time to travel the longer distance. 

nope, didn't realize it started

the Alaska Life typically does a great job covering it as few outside of Alaska give two shits about it.

https://www.thealaskalife.com/blogs/news

How many NSP clutch kits are in it this year?  :roflcrying:

7 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

nope, didn't realize it started

the Alaska Life typically does a great job covering it as few outside of Alaska give two shits about it.

https://www.thealaskalife.com/blogs/news

How many NSP clutch kits are in it this year?  :roflcrying:

Great link, I’d not seen that site before.

There are only 25 teams in this year’s race, the lowest turnout since it started. Apparently racers don’t give two shits about it either. :lolz:

5 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Great link, I’d not seen that site before.

There are only 25 teams in this year’s race, the lowest turnout since it started. Apparently racers don’t give two shits about it either. :lolz:

whut?  o.O

they do a great job of covering it so you can literally read one article a day and stay up to date.  it's a lot of time, training and expense to run that race.  I have a load of respect for those that do it, and Cain's quest as well.   

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

whut?  o.O

they do a great job of covering it so you can literally read one article a day and stay up to date.  it's a lot of time, training and expense to run that race.  I have a load of respect for those that do it, and Cain's quest as well.   

Huh? The site you linked to is good, nice job.

It doesn’t change the fact that fewer and fewer people give a shit about the Iron Dog or snowmobile racing in general. Did you watch the race start on YouTube? They had high school kids filming it. They used to have the biggest local news station televise it on NBC. If you looked in the background the crowd wasn’t very big.

This race almost closed down for good 2-3 years ago. It’s currently on life support and I don’t see it being around much longer. Why would anyone want to sponsor an expensive to put on race way the fuck up in the middle of nowhere? It’s biggest fans are people like Frankie F7 who live in destitute, shit hole villages where no one has flush toilet, much less any money.  The racers end up, sleeping on school room floors as the school building is often the only one that has running water. Hotels and lodges don’t exist along much of the route. The race doesn’t provide lodging, it’s up to the racers to arrange for their own. 

The whole concept of the race is fucked. If you don’t have connections with local residents along the route who will feed you and provide a warm place to sleep in their own homes, you are at a huge disadvantage. Then add in the need for a goddamn airplane to fly you in parts that you don’t already have staged along route, and you lose the race because you didn’t have the money and connections for parts. The race has very little to do with skill or speed, it has everything to do with money, connections and who has more of both. 

Edited by AK440
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Huh? The site you linked to is good, nice job.

It doesn’t change the fact that fewer and fewer people give a shit about the Iron Dog of snowmobile racing in general. Did you watch the start of YouTube? They had high school kids filming it. The crowd wasn’t very big. The race almost closed down for good 2-3 years ago. It’s currently on life support and I don’t see it being around much longer. Why would anyone want to sponsor an expensive to put on race way the fuck up in the middle of nowhere? It’s biggest fans are people like Frankie F7 who live in destitute, shit hole villages where no one has flush toilet, much less any money.  The racers end up, sleeping on school room floors as that building is often the only one that has running water and hotels don’t exist. 

I was surprised you never heard of T.A.L.

nope, imo interest in most forms of racing is down no matter if it's participation or spectating.  speaking personally I'll watch any type of racing with sleds, motorcycle, cars, boats, garbage trucks, etc. which started with my father.  we were regular spectators at the local oval track, Union Grove drag strip, Elkhart Lake and when CART was around the Milwaukee Mile.  I've been around the track at Indianapolis and Daytona... on a bus.  :roflcrying:  After my father and #3 passed I stopped watching NASCAR or whatever the fuck they call it today but kept following F1 which I still do today.  Hell, I'd watch two flies race to a pile of shit or a colony of ants race to gnaw down a carcass. 

as stated earlier, I have the utmost respect for everyone who participates, and for that matter anyone who volunteers in a race like the iron dog or cain's quest.  

idk where it is atm... but there was a great video about the ID I watched several years ago (this might be part of it)

Notice how Channel 2 news, the NBC station did that video? Now they have fucking high school kids filming and posting to YouTube. 

The Iron Dog should have never gotten away from its initial concept. In the early years you had to carry all your parts with you. You had to repair your sled without outside help. That meant you had to ride the sled in such a manner so as not to break it. Just like how most every single snowmobile owner treats their own machine. Now the race is just a series of short sprints from one check point to the next. Break a part, have it flown in to the next check point and repair your sled there. What, can’t afford to have it flown in? Oh well, looks like you’re fucked. Race over and the $10’s of thousands of dollars you already spent, now pissed away. Maybe you can find Toutuk the native to sell you a part off their sled assuming they even have anything that modern. 

The race has gotten super boring. It’s won by the same 3-4 teams year after year who have the best support, best connections and best funding. Only a dipshit or some wealthy person looking for an adventure would enter the race to compete. At least with COR, local guys can enter to try it out without spending a fortune. The Iron Dog is never going to grow and will continue to fade away into obscurity as long as inflation and the economy stay the way they are.

Scott Davis is a general contractor who owns a big concrete business. The winning riders in the Iron Dog are the ones who are already quite wealthy. It’s not a race for the average guy. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Notice how Channel 2 news, the NBC station did that video? Now they have fucking high school kids filming and posting to YouTube. 

The Iron Dog should have never gotten away from its initial concept. In the early years you had to carry all your parts with you. You had to repair your sled without outside help. That meant you had to ride the sled in such a manner so as not to break it. Just like how most every single snowmobile owner treats their own machine. Now the race is just a series of short sprints from one check point to the next. Break a part, have it flown in to the next check point and repair your sled there. What, can’t afford to have it flown in? Oh well, looks like you’re fucked. Race over and the $10’s of thousands of dollars you already spent, now pissed away. Maybe you can find Toutuk the native to sell you a part off their sled assuming they even have anything that modern. 

The race has gotten super boring. It’s won by the same 3-4 teams year after year who have the best support, best connections and best funding. Only a dipshit or some wealthy person looking for an adventure would enter the race to compete. At least with COR, local guys can enter to try it out without spending a fortune. The Iron Dog is never going to grow and will continue to fade away into obscurity as long as inflation and the economy stay the way they are.

Scott Davis is a general contractor who owns a big concrete business. The winning riders in the Iron Dog are the ones who are already quite wealthy. It’s not a race for the average guy. 

9_9 wait...

weren't you railing against XC ditch racing and going on and on about the ID like... always here?:ok:

ok... :roflcrying:

I have Todd Palin's $4K 2010 ID Axis Racing shocks... which makes me part Alaskan. ;)

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

9_9 wait...

weren't you railing against XC ditch racing and going on and on about the ID like... always here?:ok:

ok... :roflcrying:

I have Todd Palin's $4K 2010 ID Axis Racing shocks... which makes me part Alaskan. ;)

Yes, yes, my tomfuckery wasn’t getting people stirred up the way I wanted. I don’t actually give two shits about the Iron Dog. 

Looks like I’ll need to switch to making fun of dipshits posting selfies of themselves with their mountain sleds on Instagram. 

• Haha 1