Suspension Chatter

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Skip all that and go straight to some C&A XT's with the cornering plates and some 12" carbides.

one takeaway from the endless video I appreciated and fully agree with during time spent with people who actually have raced at the highest level (unlike AK) was provide me with the best suspension and brakes with a reliable stock engine to carry me to the end and I'll be more likely to win the race.  this concept seems tragically lost on most people.  it's one of the things I very much appreciate about the G'damn Soo... it's endurace racing and no one ever remembers who set the fastest lap but didn't finish.  ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

one takeaway from the endless video I appreciated and fully agree with during time spent with people who actually have raced at the highest level (unlike AK) was provide me with the best suspension and brakes with a reliable stock engine to carry me to the end and I'll be more likely to win the race.  this concept seems tragically lost on most people.  it's one of the things I very much appreciate about the G'damn Soo... it's endurace racing and no one ever remembers who set the fastest lap but didn't finish.  ;)

Too bad you’re so completely close minded or you’d realize the Iron Dog is a far more realistic test of reliability and durability than short sprints in USXC. It’s very telling that brief, mostly under 200 mile long ditch races sandwiched between a paved road and a cornfield is what impresses you. 

Just now, AK440 said:

Absolutely! Make sure to also use shaper bar, 12” carbides. 

daft fuck 9_9

do you know nothing of snow trackers?

https://www.snowtracker.com/index.php/en/products/snowtracker-en

these are the best thing you can put on a snowbike that no one speaks of publicly

pretty obvious you've never ridden up the face of a mogul and been dragged off track into a cornfield or row of pines at full speed

I guess if you ride an old Polaris sprint though... 

I listened to a bunch of the accelerated guys videos while I was working on sleds today. A lot of good information I just wish he’d mention Elka shocks a time or two more, WE and fox can’t be tweaked you just have to put Elkas on it 

Just now, AK440 said:

Too bad you’re so completely close minded or you’d realize the Iron Dog is a far more realistic test of reliability and durability than short sprints in USXC. It’s very telling that brief, mostly under 200 mile long ditch races sandwiched between a paved road and a cornfield is what impresses you. 

966e570150b66da925e6d0ced1b05384.gif

OMG!!!!  please tell us more about your Iron Dog experience, @Badger** and I love that race!  do you know Northstar Rick, he has stickers that are involved in the race.  I have Todd Palin's shocks, no bullshit.  very excited to discuss this with you!  have you ever fucked a moose and ate it afterwards?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

daft fuck 9_9

do you know nothing of snow trackers?

https://www.snowtracker.com/index.php/en/products/snowtracker-en

these are the best thing you can put on a snowbike that no one speaks of publicly

pretty obvious you've never ridden up the face of a mogul and been dragged off track into a cornfield or row of pines at full speed

I guess if you ride an old Polaris sprint though... 

What’s hilarious is you claimed guys skipped right over the tops of the whoops but then got proven wrong. Complete dumbass. 

Just now, Palu49 said:

I listened to a bunch of the accelerated guys videos while I was working on sleds today. A lot of good information I just wish he’d mention Elka shocks a time or two more, WE and fox can’t be tweaked you just have to put Elkas on it 

it's what he sells, easy to get past if you can listen through things.  

• Like 1

Just now, AK440 said:

What’s hilarious is you claimed guys skipped right over the tops of the whoops but then got proven wrong. Complete dumbass. 

have you considered changing your name to Iron Dong?  clearly you have so much knowledge to impart upon us. 

I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU!!!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a89a3ed084c675a908

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

Don’t tell CtoC but Elkas don’t work for shit in the Iron Dog. They didn’t hold up in the super low temps. But for cornfield running they are top notch. 

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

have you considered changing your name to Iron Dong?  clearly you have so much knowledge to impart upon us. 

I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU!!!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a89a3ed084c675a908

For a while your comebacks were a bit witty and had a modicum of intelligence but now you're at Shitbird level. Try and up your game. 

19 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Should I hack the rear of the ski off like tucker did with my sawzall? 

Make sure you get both corners on each ski!  Maybe get 3 different sets and cut each at different angles.  

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The Soo is a week long event that really should take no more then 3 days, 2 ideally, to run.  

7 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

I wish Ohlins would have tried to get in to XC racing a bit more then they did.  I'd have given them a spin.  

18 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Don’t tell CtoC but Elkas don’t work for shit in the Iron Dog. They didn’t hold up in the super low temps. But for cornfield running they are top notch. 

are you comparing them to the oil soaked tampons in your Polaris Sprint?

i don't own a set of Elka's, nor do I have any affiliation with them or accelerated technologies

I WANT TO HEAR ALL ABOUT YOUR SUSPENSION THOUGHTS!!!

16 minutes ago, AK440 said:

For a while your comebacks were a bit witty and had a modicum of intelligence but now you're at Shitbird level. Try and up your game. 

am I making you uncomfortable?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, AK440 said:

bUt dId yOu rAcE iN dA iRoN dOg !

image.gif

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

bUt dId yOu rAcE iN dA iRoN dOg !

image.gif

I don't think he runs in cornfields either.

Don't worry guy, we won't tell c to c your professional internet forum insight into conditions you've never rode.  On shocks you've also never ridden on.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

it's what he sells, easy to get past if you can listen through things.  

Yea for sure still a lot of great info in his videos, but a “here’s what we can do with these if you don’t want to buy my Elkas” would be better than “these aren’t what you want just throw them out and buy my shocks”

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I wish Ohlins would have tried to get in to XC racing a bit more then they did.  I'd have given them a spin.  

Buddy of mine had Ohlins on a firecat and it was honestly the only “really good” firecat I ever rode. Plus they look good. Seems like you’d see them around on the firecat/twin spar days then they were out of snowmobiling was there ever even an early yamacat with Ohlins?

Some of the things in the video make you wonder why the OEM's haven't addressed them.

Now that the industry is moving to a direct order model, if you can customize your colors why not spring rates? That would be a very cool option to have based on weight, riding style, and intended use.

Listening between the lines you also realize the shortcomings of conventional suspension technology. He mentions changing the setup for a given section of trail...that may be practical in closed course racing but when you're out on the trail that's as impractical as it gets. This is where I see the benefits of Cat's ATAC and Doo's Smart Shocks.

How long before we see spool valve or magnetic ride control dampers on sleds?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Premium said:

Some of the things in the video make you wonder why the OEM's haven't addressed them.

Now that the industry is moving to a direct order model, if you can customize your colors why not spring rates? That would be a very cool option to have based on weight, riding style, and intended use.

Listening between the lines you also realize the shortcomings of conventional suspension technology. He mentions changing the setup for a given section of trail...that may be practical in closed course racing but when you're out on the trail that's as impractical as it gets. This is where I see the benefits of Cat's ATAC and Doo's Smart Shocks.

How long before we see spool valve or magnetic ride control dampers on sleds?

Oems have been one size fits all since day one.   Imo 97% have probably never spent an hour on their own setups and dumbing things down with three position shocks and gizmos is probably the best for the masses.  In regards to making changes, most of it revolved around the adjustable limiter strap from my pov.  IDK if you've ever had a quick adjust strap but it's amazing how easily you can change the characteristics of a sled by moving it a few mms.  I would imagine the doo's he's changing springs on have massively better handling based upon their upper a arm angle.  based on what we hear and believe, Cat and Polaris have the best front ends for trail riding, so maybe just a few small changes puts BRP on par?

15 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Oems have been one size fits all since day one.   Imo 97% have probably never spent an hour on their own setups and dumbing things down with three position shocks and gizmos is probably the best for the masses.  In regards to making changes, most of it revolved around the adjustable limiter strap from my pov.  IDK if you've ever had a quick adjust strap but it's amazing how easily you can change the characteristics of a sled by moving it a few mms.  I would imagine the doo's he's changing springs on have massively better handling based upon their upper a arm angle.  based on what we hear and believe, Cat and Polaris have the best front ends for trail riding, so maybe just a few small changes puts BRP on par?

I haven't. What do you use? Trac-link?