Suspension Chatter

very happy with the setup in both of my machines, but always willing to listen to someone that does it for a living.

good info starting @ the 50:00 mark for many... 1st year Indy Axys XCR owners never seemed to get it from what I recall.  more Polaris @ 1:53:00 and 1:59:00 on more Axys

LOT of good talk about limiter strap adjustment.  ;)

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

very happy with the setup in both of my machines, but always willing to listen to someone that does it for a living.

good info starting @ the 50:00 mark for many... 1st year Indy Axys XCR owners never seemed to get it from what I recall.  more Polaris @ 1:53:00 and 1:59:00 on more Axys

Air shocks suck but you don’t have to rebuild them because they are incased by the air sleeve. I was told 

8 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Air shocks suck but you don’t have to rebuild them because they are incased by the air sleeve. I was told 

he shoots some holes in the air shocks

and bERgStrOM tRiiPlE pOinTs anD sHimS... nothing about snow trackers though?  :dunno:

23 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

4 hours of this?  I'll call my shock guy and get the downlow in like 5 minutes.

actually, there's a lot about springs and several other aspects than just shocks... it's also a lot about how poorly skidoo's are set up

guy has a substantial background, I've found it interesting enough to post it here...

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

actually, there's a lot about springs and several other aspects than just shocks... it's also a lot about how poorly skidoo's are set up

guy has a substantial background, I've found it interesting enough to post it here...

I thought the trick to riding a skidoo was to hold it wide open and use the brake to adjust your speed??

Edited by Not greg b
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'll get through it, but I'll need more beer then what I have on hand.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I thought the trick to riding a skidoo was to hold it wide open and use the brake to adjust your speed??

only Elias :roflcrying:

apparently there's a LOT of overweight snowmobilers... but the manu's put in one spring set for EVERYONE!!!

4 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

You won't make it to the next fuel stop riding like that, assuming your belt doesn't explode first from the clutch heat.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The discussion around the 50 minute mark is pretty good.  The FB and HCS wet brains could learn a few things.

it gets better... there's some stupid stuff but he gives up a bunch of good info most wouldn't

33 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You won't make it to the next fuel stop riding like that, assuming your belt doesn't explode first from the clutch heat.  

It’s only got last 12 laps or so. Brake pads are usually smoked I am assuming 

I listened a couple minutes at the 50 mark.  Didn't seem too groundbreaking.  I didn't like how he talked about lifting up the sled and seeing how the front of track touches first.  That really doesn't matter.  It could touch a foot before but if there's no spring in there and it collapses with 2 lbs of pressure, the sled won't fulcrum on the center just because its the first to touch the ground.  He later goes on to say he scales four positions and changes the spring, that's better.  I've just seen guys on the FB that seem to go off that test of seeing what touches first, it doesn't matter, you're not riding down the trail like that in a completely unloaded position with no sag.

Does seem like everything always has to be loosened at the front skid.  I wonder why the oems do that?  I'd guess so maybe it steers easier, and wheelies better for the fun factor bros because it really does seem like that's what 99% of FB guys care about.  Even some of those YouTubers that is how they ride they tiptoe through corners and straighten it out and then let the big 850 rip.  But to corner the front has to be planted.

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I listened a couple minutes at the 50 mark.  Didn't seem too groundbreaking.  I didn't like how he talked about lifting up the sled and seeing how the front of track touches first.  That really doesn't matter.  It could touch a foot before but if there's no spring in there and it collapses with 2 lbs of pressure, the sled won't fulcrum on the center just because its the first to touch the ground.  He later goes on to say he scales four positions and changes the spring, that's better.  I've just seen guys on the FB that seem to go off that test of seeing what touches first, it doesn't matter, you're not riding down the trail like that in a completely unloaded position with no sag.

Does seem like everything always has to be loosened at the front skid.  I wonder why the oems do that?  I'd guess so maybe it steers easier, and wheelies better for the fun factor bros because it really does seem like that's what 99% of FB guys care about.  Even some of those YouTubers that is how they ride they tiptoe through corners and straighten it out and then let the big 850 rip.  But to corner the front has to be planted.

That is a majority of riders I come across on the trail.  Point and shoot, then mountain sled it around the corners.  

9 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Wow. Is that what it takes to beat a 20 year old Pro-X on a smoothed out sno-x track in the bitchthang class? 

1 minute ago, AK440 said:

Yeah, yeah, could you tell the the class what you do to your sled to race teenagers in the bitch class? 

This thread is not the place for how I set up my sled.

8 hours ago, mnstang said:

his setups focus on lowered ride height for much better trail handling but with the spring combos they can still take a hit.  Skidoos apparently need a lot more help than Polaris... very little about Cat/Yamaha though as Procross Cat's corner well out of the box.   

a few times he basically says if you're more than 165lbs, the springs in your $15k sled are too light.  the limiter info he provides, I completely agree with and have the adjustable on one of mine and it absolutely makes dialing things in easier.

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

The cheese has slipped off the cracker.

are you sure it's even cheese?

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

his setups focus on lowered ride height for much better trail handling but with the spring combos they can still take a hit.  Skidoos apparently need a lot more help than Polaris... very little about Cat/Yamaha though as Procross Cat's corner well out of the box.   

a few times he basically says if you're more than 165lbs, the springs in your $15k sled are too light.  the limiter info he provides, I completely agree with and have the adjustable on one of mine and it absolutely makes dialing things in easier.

are you sure it's even cheese?

Fromunda

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, AK440 said:

Yeah, yeah, could you tell the the class what you do to your sled to race teenagers in the bitch class? 

how about you tell us about your amazing snowmobile wrenching and racing experience/qualifications to smack talk others here for a change?  

you either have some or you don't... ;)

• Like 1