Can legalities

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

@Deephaven don't you have the equipment to DB test a sled?  I'd be curious to test both of mine with stock, mod sled running the stock and speedwerx and actually document the difference.

Yes.  New test is stupid.  I was the industry expert they used as a reference for the development of the last one so rather familiar with it.

Put your sled on a stand and try to hold 4000 rpm.  Good luck :)

Testing to the old standard is much easier, but then I'd suggest doing it not on hard concrete...

All of these rules are stupid.  If they want aftermarket ones to be legal it should be up to the aftermarket to certify them.  They make the OE's do it, seems the easiest.  Then just a stamp solves the concern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krom said:

modified exhaust are illegal in NY, cars, trucks, sleds, atv, bikes

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s784

59 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

NH law and I believe Maine is the same way.

The following OHRV and snowmobile offenses now carry a fine of $248.00: 
o modified/loud exhaust

No person shall operate a snowmobile manufactured after February 1, 2007 that does not display on its exhaust system’s critical components the words “SSCC Certified,” a visible and unaltered certification marking issued by an independent organization, the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee (SSCC) that certifies snowmobiles for uniformity of safety features and noise levels.
(Effective September 10, 2019**)

To both, as long as my sled was DB compliant... I'd fight it.  What happens if you gut a stock canister with the stamping?

56 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

U hAtE mE cAn U hAt FrEeDoM oF sPeAcH aN tHe FiSt CoNsTiTuIoN@>$#@!!!>#@!3$#@!!111.21!!!

you failed to proceed that with... yER h0NouR

and close it with... :crazy:

I applaud the effort though  :roflcrying:

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

To both, as long as my sled was DB compliant... I'd fight it.  What happens if you gut a stock canister with the stamping?

I suppose you could try I’m sure many do. My bud has a TD pipe with his stock shield cut off and wrapped around the TD pipe 😂. I prefer to leave mine stock these days less hassle and pisses off less people 🤷‍♂️.

13 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I suppose you could try I’m sure many do. My bud has a TD pipe with his stock shield cut off and wrapped around the TD pipe 😂. I prefer to leave mine stock these days less hassle and pisses off less people 🤷‍♂️.

I get it dude, and trust me I'm not encouraging anyone to break DB laws. 

but, for an LEO to just issue a ticket/fine for not having OEM exhaust without performing a DB test anywhere in the US... that's a very fine line they're dancing imo.  'they' can't have it both ways... at least as I see it.

h00ray, actual sn0wm0bile c0nversations...

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c6fb9cb79d6c1e27be

my younger brother from Rhode Island has been texting me all evening, his gigantic box of Klim gear from the Clearance section at Country Cat (big savings for anyone looking) arrived today. 

https://www.countrycat.com/clearance?manufacturer=36

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I get it dude, and trust me I'm not encouraging anyone to break DB laws. 

but, for an LEO to just issue a ticket/fine for not having OEM exhaust without performing a DB test anywhere in the US... that's a very fine line they're dancing imo.  'they' can't have it both ways... at least as I see it.

h00ray, actual sn0wm0bile c0nversations...

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c6fb9cb79d6c1e27be

my younger brother from Rhode Island has been texting me all evening, his gigantic box of Klim gear from the Clearance section (big savings for anyone looking) arrived today.   

Last time I got a load exhaust was with my triple Mach z popped hood instant ticket now supposedly they look for the sscc stamping which I think is new(19) cause it use to be any mod pipes instant ticket. The issue is I don’t know of any a/m pipes/cans that have that stamping but to be fair I haven’t looked really either.

i got some mini z parts in the mail today there’s some sled talk 😂. ill be doing a parts order for my sled some point this weekend just waiting to here the damage from the wife for Black Friday shopping 😞.

97021D1F-C2DC-4140-9A0E-CD2BFA053152.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Last time I got a load exhaust was with my triple Mach z popped hood instant ticket now supposedly they look for the sscc stamping which I think is new(19) cause it use to be any mod pipes instant ticket. The issue is I don’t know of any a/m pipes/cans that have that stamping but to be fair I haven’t looked really either.

i got some mini z parts in the mail today there’s some sled talk 😂. ill be doing a parts order for my sled some point this weekend just waiting to here the damage from the wife for Black Friday shopping 😞.

97021D1F-C2DC-4140-9A0E-CD2BFA053152.jpeg

right... from my POV (I'll be called an asshole or something for this) anyone selling aftermarket cans or mufflers should be required to prove with a certification they can meet existing DB laws before being allowed to be sold.  let's be honest here, there's two things getting trails closed... noise and riding off the trail on private property. 

sweet, is it the kids/grandkids... or your own personal miniZ?  hope those aren't arm ripping mod parts!!!  that air filter looks noisy...  :lol:

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

right... from my POV (I'll be called an asshole or something for this) anyone selling aftermarket cans or mufflers should be required to prove with a certification they can meet existing DB laws before being allowed to be sold.  let's be honest here, there's two things getting trails closed... noise and riding off the trail on private property. 

sweet, is it the kids/grandkids... or your own personal miniZ?  hope those aren't arm ripping mod parts!!!  that air filter looks noisy...  :lol:

you’d think the a/m would be slapping those stamps on left and right seems a big selling feature for people in states like NH. If I knew a can was certified I’d consider buying one but until then not worth the hassle.

😂 it ain’t mine. I bought the mini in April for my kids. They will get it for Christmas this year so got a few things to tune it up and clean it up nothing crazy. no go fast parts yet it’s their first sled 4 and 5 but I’m sure they’ll be ready for more speed in no time though. Supposedly that filter is factory equivalent from what snoscoot.com says idk mine was MIA so I just bought the whole filter kit just incase.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Don't go to Ontario Canada.

They aren’t enforcing it up in my area YET, not that it matters to me anymore. No more pipes for me and never was a fan of noise makers. Buddy I used to ride with 20 years when I was piped asked me the other night what “can” he should buy that sounds “sweet” in his new 850 assault.I :lol: and told him your 60 dude you ain’t impressing anyone these days and ANYONE that cares about our trail system will never run a can. He agreed :lol:

Now the off trail guys, live it up boys every pound saved is worth it:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always knew those laws would never stand up to a challenge in court.  The government can't dictate what brand of a part you use.  If it could, Paul Pelosi would have been investing in OEM exhaust so that's your proof right there.

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

There is no way a Leo can measure shit.  If you get stung give me a shout and if you are not using a fart cannon I will help get you off.  

I'm not concerned for myself.  Thread was mainly intended to show it's not necessarily illegal to use an aftermarket muffler as long as the noise emitted doesn't exceed state laws. 

Michigan does setup DB test stations though... 

And if someone has some mt can nonsense I wouldn't help them get off. There is generally nothing wrong with aftermarket exhaust anyways...but some of the idiots that buy it on the other hand I can't say the same.

My Audi S6 completely sounds like a different animal with real exhaust and the long tube headers on the Escalade made a monster differences.  Under nearly all driving they both would pass, but not when really revving them.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 9:05 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm not concerned for myself.  Thread was mainly intended to show it's not necessarily illegal to use an aftermarket muffler as long as the noise emitted doesn't exceed state laws. 

Michigan does setup DB test stations though... 

We ride right passed those dnr check points with cans all the time and they don’t give a shit if you aren’t being stupid. Notice how the video starts as he is going super slow and the dnr guy is already on his ass. Probably did a sweet wheelie through some old lady’s rock garden for points on the gram 

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:59 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

:roflcrying: who went over the burm and tried to kill @fortune46x that night... Logan and Yurk? 

in New york yes, In deadwood it was yurk trying to ass pack christian in the corner after the finish and I pulled yurks ski as he tried to accelerate over me (which resulted in a broke foot.)

2 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

in New york yes, In deadwood it was yurk trying to ass pack christian in the corner after the finish and I pulled yurks ski as he tried to accelerate over me (which resulted in a broke foot.)

ERX... you were up above the bridge though