Can legalities

https://www.snowest.com/2014/07/sound-decisions

I can't find the exact specific article I was looking for from Olav Aaen.... but, under the right to repair law (federal) in the US you can install aftermarket exhaust on anything as long as it doesn't exceed the current noise (DB) std in your state.  

No, I don't support people using race cans on public trails just to be clear right up front.

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://www.snowest.com/2014/07/sound-decisions

I can't find the exact specific article I was looking for from Olav Aaen.... but, under the right to repair law (federal) in the US you can install aftermarket exhaust on anything as long as it doesn't exceed the current noise (DB) std in your state.  

No, I don't support people using race cans on public trails just to be clear right up front.

Magnusson moss act

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Magnusson moss act

do you want to see what your DNR contact has to say? 

here's the state statutes for WI I found...

350.095  Noise level requirements.

(1)  Noise level standards; total vehicle noise.

(a) Every snowmobile that is manufactured on or after July 2, 1975, and that is offered for sale or sold in this state as a new snowmobile shall be manufactured so as to limit total vehicle noise to not more than 78 decibels of A sound pressure, as measured by Society of Automotive Engineers standards.

(b) A person may not modify a snowmobile, or operate a snowmobile that has been modified, in any manner that amplifies or otherwise increases total vehicle noise above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally manufactured, regardless of date of manufacture.

(2) Noise level standards; exhaust and engine noise.

(a) No snowmobile may be manufactured, sold, offered for sale, or operated unless it is equipped with a muffler in good working order.

(b) For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1972, a muffler that is in good working order is one that blends the exhaust noise into the overall engine noise and is in constant operation to prevent exhaust and engine noise that exceeds the applicable noise level standards established under pars. (c) and (d).

(c) For every snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1972, and before July 2, 1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and engine noise shall be 90 decibels as measured in accordance with the procedures established for the measurement of exhaust sound levels of stationary snowmobiles in the January 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J2567.

(d)

1. Except as provided in subd. 2., for every snowmobile manufactured on or after July 2, 1975, the noise level standard for exhaust and engine noise shall be 82 decibels as measured in accordance with the procedures established for the measurement of exhaust sound levels of stationary snowmobiles in the January 2015 Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J2567.

2. After consulting with the snowmobile recreational council, the department may promulgate a rule that establishes a noise level standard for exhaust and engine noise that is other than 88 decibels.

History: 2005 a. 210 ss. 1, 2, 4 to 7m; 2021 a. 103.

350.10  Miscellaneous provisions for snowmobile operation.

(1)  No person shall operate a snowmobile in the following manner:

(d) In such a way that the exhaust and engine noise exceeds the applicable noise level standard specified in s. 350.095 (2) (c) or (d). snowmobile is prohibited by law.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/350/101#:~:text=After consulting with the snowmobile,is other than 88 decibels.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

LOL, Cousin is on vacation out of State right now.

Here's from another sled site.

I went up to Minocqua for a race last year. I kept the stock can on for trail riding. During the race day, I found a DNR and asked him if it sounded too loud. Without even hearing it, he said if it don't look stock, you get a ticket. He said if it looks stock and is really loud, ticket. He did say he probably would not have even checked me, cause it is not loud, but the bottom line, piss them off in any way, you get a ticket. When I go to Wisconsin this year, I am leaving my sled stock. 

17 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

LOL, Cousin is on vacation out of State right now.

Here's from another sled site.

I went up to Minocqua for a race last year. I kept the stock can on for trail riding. During the race day, I found a DNR and asked him if it sounded too loud. Without even hearing it, he said if it don't look stock, you get a ticket. He said if it looks stock and is really loud, ticket. He did say he probably would not have even checked me, cause it is not loud, but the bottom line, piss them off in any way, you get a ticket. When I go to Wisconsin this year, I am leaving my sled stock. 

and I would happily see him in court if a ticket was issued without a legal WI db test being performed.  :) 

know the laws right Don? ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I like to live dangerously. 

🙃

look up your state statutes... 

people have opinions, facts are more important 

If you're in PA

A muffler in good working order -- the sound intensity produced by a snowmobile may not exceed 82dbA (decibels) for older machines, and 78dbA for snowmobiles made after January 1, 1976

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/Snowmobiling/RidingRulesandEnforcement/Pages/default.aspx#:~:text=Snowmobile%20Equipment%20Requirements&text=A%20muffler%20in%20good%20working,made%20after%20January%201%2C%201976

Show me where it says OEM original equipment. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

look up your state statutes... 

people have opinions, facts are more important 

If you're in PA

A muffler in good working order -- the sound intensity produced by a snowmobile may not exceed 82dbA (decibels) for older machines, and 78dbA for snowmobiles made after January 1, 1976

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Recreation/WhatToDo/Snowmobiling/RidingRulesandEnforcement/Pages/default.aspx#:~:text=Snowmobile Equipment Requirements&text=A muffler in good working,made after January 1%2C 1976

Show me where it says OEM original equipment. 

Yes...was just going to post that in the other thread.

Was kidding about living dangerously. 

:bc:

• Haha 1

Just now, Steve753 said:

Yes...was just going to post that in the other thread.

Was kidding about living dangerously. 

:bc:

even if you're going to ride on a trail to go ride off trail... it would be a violation according to the statutes.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Just got off a chat session with the Wi. DNR, answers they gave were somewhat unclear as to what you can or cannot run for a muffler.

hence the statutes posted 

they can't legally give you a ticket because something looks different or sounds different to them... they have to test it to justify the ticket and potential court proceedings.  if the law doesn't know the law... we certainly should.  

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

hence the statutes posted 

they can't legally give you a ticket because something looks different or sounds different to them... they have to test it to justify the ticket and potential court proceedings.  if the law doesn't know the law... we certainly should.  

Last response to me:

As far as the regulations go it doesn't blatantly say that you cannot operate a snowmobile that has a modified stock, just that it can't exceed noise limits specified. 

• Thanks 1

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and, when in constant operation, noise emission cannot exceed 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567 for a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980.

The sound test, which takes approximately 10 minutes to perform, includes:

• Placing the snowmobile in a designated test area (no objects within a 16-foot radius of the snowmobile).
  • Placing the sound meter 4 feet above the ground and 13 feet 1.5 inches from the centerline of the machine, on the same side as the exhaust.
  • The operator, while holding the brake, increasing engine speed until the tachometer reaches 4,000 RPMs +/- 250, and then keeping at that speed for four seconds.
  • Repeating the test once.
  • Averaging the two test readings to produce the final result.

Any test result above 88 decibels is failing.

No enforcement action will take place should the snowmobile test non-compliant. If the snowmobile sound test fails, snowmobile owners are encouraged to replace the modified exhaust with the original exhaust system from the snowmobile manufacturer. This action will ensure the snowmobile is compliant when on the trail.

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/is-your-snowmobile-too-loud-get-it-checked-by-the-dnr-to-avoid-a-ticket

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Michigan-DNR-steps-up-snowmobile-noise-enforcement-504122831.html#:~:text=But%2C according to Michigan law,until the problem is fixed.

• Gold Member

NH law and I believe Maine is the same way.

The following OHRV and snowmobile offenses now carry a fine of $248.00: 
o modified/loud exhaust

No person shall operate a snowmobile manufactured after February 1, 2007 that does not display on its exhaust system’s critical components the words “SSCC Certified,” a visible and unaltered certification marking issued by an independent organization, the Snowmobile Safety and Certification Committee (SSCC) that certifies snowmobiles for uniformity of safety features and noise levels.
(Effective September 10, 2019**)