Poo has yet another stop sale, stop ride for sleds catching on fire....

krom

20 hours ago, Not greg b said:

If it’s un safe you have to do a stop Sale. If you sell something that is un save you open yourself wide up to law suites 

Yep - I chatted with my dealer, where I ordered my '23 from, and when this news first came out back in late August/early September I said to him, "Just give me a waiver to sign and I'll take my sled when it shows up."  He explained, that's not possible ... and even if he did want to have me take my sled & get paid for it, he could lose his business if Polaris found out about it.

On 11/23/2022 at 3:33 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

not Krommy, but I'd bet purchasing (the bean counters) overrode what engineering identified as the appropriate component.  $1 here, $1 there... take your chances.

1000% the issue causing the recalls was caused by purchasing/supply chain people inside Polaris making suppliers give them a part for cheaper than engineering spec’d it at. There are layers of engineering specs that are put in place to keep things like this from happening. Engineers responsible for the different areas/components actually have to sign legal documents that state that these levels have been met. Then, purchasing/supply gets into the mix and can toss it all out the window in the name of cost/profits. I see it on a literal daily basis. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

1000% the issue causing the recalls was caused by purchasing/supply chain people inside Polaris making suppliers give them a part for cheaper than engineering spec’d it at. There are layers of engineering specs that are put in place to keep things like this from happening. Engineers responsible for the different areas/components actually have to sign legal documents that state that these levels have been met. Then, purchasing/supply gets into the mix and can toss it all out the window in the name of cost/profits. I see it on a literal daily basis. 

I think my biggest gripe about the bean counters with sleds Is cheap undersized drive line bearings.  It's honestly the only fault I can find in my chassis and I've read too many stories and complaints about it on the newer poos.

aftermarket fix-kits... shouldn't be a thing 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I think my biggest gripe about the bean counters with sleds Is cheap undersized drive line bearings.  It's honestly the only fault I can find in my chassis and I've read too many stories and complaints about it on the newer poos.

That was a race only sled so I doubt that was a bean counter thing.

Funny how some people think that every problem with a sled is bean counters and that sleds would never break if it weren't for them.  And they also want sleds to cost less even after being bean counted.

And really, if a bearing on a race sled makes it through one season, it did it's job.  Or really, one race.

9 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Funny how some people think that every problem with a sled is bean counters and that sleds would never break if it weren't for them.  And they also want sleds to cost less even after being bean counted.

And really, if a bearing on a race sled makes it through one season, it did it's job.  Or really, one race.

to me it's just an annual maintenance item and less than $20 

conversely, imagine some dolt that doesn't know a crankshaft from a jackshaft who spent $16k on his new 850 hyper sled sitting on the side of the trail after the $4 bearing he didn't realize needed a fix kit from new hampshire and a squirt of grease every 666 miles.

totally avoidable with an oversized $12 bearing imo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

to me it's just an annual maintenance item and less than $20 

conversely, imagine some dolt that doesn't know a crankshaft from a jackshaft who spent $16k on his new 850 hyper sled sitting on the side of the trail after the $4 bearing he didn't realize needed a fix kit from new hampshire and a squirt of grease every 666 miles.

totally avoidable with an oversized $12 bearing imo

At least he'll stay warm by the fire 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mnstang said:

At least he'll stay warm by the fire 

depends how he was able to stop due to brake failure or the track locking up.

many variables to consider while riding something with that much fun factor.

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

Yep - I chatted with my dealer, where I ordered my '23 from, and when this news first came out back in late August/early September I said to him, "Just give me a waiver to sign and I'll take my sled when it shows up."  He explained, that's not possible ... and even if he did want to have me take my sled & get paid for it, he could lose his business if Polaris found out about it.

Looks like poo is voiding the warranty of any sled ridden while under the stop ride/sale, and in Canada at least your insurance won't cover any claims either. 

poo2.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

many variables to consider while riding something with that much fun factor.

They're hard to stop when you hit Maximun Max, you almost reach Fear Factor!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, krom said:

Looks like poo is voiding the warranty of any sled ridden while under the stop ride/sale, and in Canada at least your insurance won't cover any claims either. 

poo2.jpg

To be fair, legally they could only deny claims that relate to the stop ride issue (total loss fire lol)

But if they ride and their 850 crank leaves the chat, they can't deny that claim because of a fire recall.

Not that they'd have a crank issue.

Their insurance also would not pay if they have a fire and are riding it during a stop ride.

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

My Indy had 3400 on it when I swapped the track. Both driveshaft bearings were actually pretty good for the mileage. The chain case side jackshaft bearing was F’d. I don’t think I’ve ever had to change a jackshaft bearing before. Obviously I changed all four bearings while I was at it but just weird. 

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

To be fair, legally they could only deny claims that relate to the stop ride issue (total loss fire lol)

But if they ride and their 850 crank leaves the chat, they can't deny that claim because of a fire recall.

Not that they'd have a crank issue.

Their insurance also would not pay if they have a fire and are riding it during a stop ride.

How many insurance companies do you think would actually investigate, and possibly go to court over it? Owner plays stupid and the insurance company can’t prove a fucking thing. 

14 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

How many insurance companies do you think would actually investigate, and possibly go to court over it? Owner plays stupid and the insurance company can’t prove a fucking thing. 

Mine catches fire some fucker stole it and lit her up!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

My Indy had 3400 on it when I swapped the track. Both driveshaft bearings were actually pretty good for the mileage. The chain case side jackshaft bearing was F’d. I don’t think I’ve ever had to change a jackshaft bearing before. Obviously I changed all four bearings while I was at it but just weird. 

It doesn't matter if the owner plays stupid or not.  The insurance would likely not even involve the owner in the matter.  Any insurance company is going to know about a stop ride for fires on things they insure and any fire claims will be checked to see if they have had the update done.  I'm sure they can check directly with the manufacturer.

I still say this is a person's "get out of jail free" card:

DO NOT OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL THIS SAFETY RECALL HAS BEEN COMPLETED BY YOUR DELER.

If a rider needs to start their snowmobile, they must make sure the fuel tank is full and if it is not then they need to add fresh gasoline to the tank.

How the F do you tell people "DO NOT OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE" and immediately follow it up with, "Oh, but hey ... if you need to run it just make sure you have a full tank of fresh fuel"???  If I blow it up (literally, from flames) and burn it down to ashes, it's on me to understand I'm not getting jack shit for warranty, etc.  But outside of that, it's BAU and people shouldn't be getting bent over with loss of warranty threats.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bontz said:

DO NOT OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL THIS SAFETY RECALL HAS BEEN COMPLETED BY YOUR DELER.

If a rider needs to start their snowmobile, they must make sure the fuel tank is full and if it is not then they need to add fresh gasoline to the tank.

How the F do you tell people "DO NOT OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE" and immediately follow it up with, "Oh, but hey ... if you need to run it just make sure you have a full tank of fresh fuel"???  If I blow it up (literally, from flames) and burn it down to ashes, it's on me to understand I'm not getting jack shit for warranty, etc.  But outside of that, it's BAU and people shouldn't be getting bent over with loss of warranty threats.

And does the fuel gauge even work without the engine running?  How are you supposed to know the level of fuel without first starting the sled?  Seems like a cache 22.

Also I would think that for however long they have stop ride recalls, they should extend warranties for that long.  Because in theory, what if they had a stop rides for your entire warranty period?  They should also probably pause monthly payments for these periods for the people doing that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mnstang said:

And does the fuel gauge even work without the engine running?  How are you supposed to know the level of fuel without first starting the sled?  Seems like a cache 22.

Also I would think that for however long they have stop ride recalls, they should extend warranties for that long.  Because in theory, what if they had a stop rides for your entire warranty period?  They should also probably pause monthly payments for these periods for the people doing that.

Common sense ... it doesn't exist any more in this day & age, unfortunately.

Watch ... anyone wanna make a wager? LOL  Polaris will probably send out a "Sorry for the inconvenience, here's a Take $100 off your next $500 purchase coupon", or "Here's a free jug of oil" card :roflcrying:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Common sense ... it doesn't exist any more in this day & age, unfortunately.

Watch ... anyone wanna make a wager? LOL  Polaris will probably send out a "Sorry for the inconvenience, here's a Take $100 off your next $500 purchase coupon", or "Here's a free jug of oil" card :roflcrying:

Or a $100 off your next snocheck..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

It doesn't matter if the owner plays stupid or not.  The insurance would likely not even involve the owner in the matter.  Any insurance company is going to know about a stop ride for fires on things they insure and any fire claims will be checked to see if they have had the update done.  I'm sure they can check directly with the manufacturer.

Well, if the customer is getting denied insurance coverage, it’s sort of hard for them to NOT be involved. So wtf are you talking about? Sure, I could see insurance companies going after the manufacturer after the fact but good fucking luck with that too. 

22 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Open the fuel cap and look? 

Agree with the warranty. Payment hold would be nice too but a reach. Only way that’s probably happening is if the customer doesn’t take delivery of a new sled from the dealer. Which fucks the dealer more than anything. 

7 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Well, if the customer is getting denied insurance coverage, it’s sort of hard for them to NOT be involved. So wtf are you talking about? Sure, I could see insurance companies going after the manufacturer after the fact but good fucking luck with that too. 

Open the fuel cap and look? 

Agree with the warranty. Payment hold would be nice too but a reach. Only way that’s probably happening is if the customer doesn’t take delivery of a new sled from the dealer. Which fucks the dealer more than anything. 

Sigh.  I don't have time walk you through every little thing.  You said something about the owner playing dumb to the stop ride with insurance.  The insurance company will be able to know if the update was done without going through the customer.  So playing dumb about the stop ride, like you suggested, is a retarded plan that wouldn't work.  That's what I meant about being involved.  

Also, it's a stop sale too.  So customers won't be able to take delivery whether they want to or not.

I have never opened the fuel cap on a Polaris but on a car there's not much to see there.  Sure if it's absolutely topped off you'd see it, but I think a tank can be "full" on the gauge without seeing fuel there.

Edited by mnstang

On 11/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, Bontz said:

That’s when you haul the burnt piece of shit back to your house, drop it off in the drive way and call the insurance company. Then tell them you followed the instructions on how to bring it to the dealer and the full tank of gas burst into flames while loading it. You also need to be reimbursed for the full tank of gas since that is worth more than the sled 

Edited by Not greg b
  • Haha 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:19 AM, mnstang said:

Wow, one season huh? Who knew the amateur ditch banger class tore up so much equipment. Must be from how you magically levitate and skip over the tops of even the biggest whoops, right chief?

How many miles you putting on your “race” sled in a season? 1,000? 2,000? The Iron Dog is over 2,000 miles long and I hear that many racers who enter are never seen again. Something about their bearings not lasting long enough, breaking down on the side of the course and getting eaten by wolves and polar bears. 

12 hours ago, AK440 said:

Wow, one season huh? Who knew the amateur ditch banger class tore up so much equipment. Must be from how you magically levitate and skip over the tops of even the biggest whoops, right chief?

How many miles you putting on your “race” sled in a season? 1,000? 2,000? The Iron Dog is over 2,000 miles long and I hear that many racers who enter are never seen again. Something about their bearings not lasting long enough, breaking down on the side of the course and getting eaten by wolves and polar bears. 

Lol triggered I wasn't even talking to you bro

• Haha 1