Who's been to Germany?

• Platinum Contributing Member
15 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

They don't drink beer warm.  Not even close. They definitely don't use much ice though.  Coke could come warm, but it is more expensive than beer so why bother.

What sort of trip are you looking for Steve?

No real plan, that's why I was asking. We have basically 14 days to kill once the festivities are over. We have use of a car, so that will make things easy.

Just now, Steve753 said:

No real plan, that's why I was asking. We have basically 14 days to kill once the festivities are over. We have use of a car, so that will make things easy.

I know The Alps are quite a ways south of Berlin, but some of the most beautiful parts of Germany is on the border of Austria and Switzerland. When I was in Bad Tolz we took a train tour  that took us through both countries....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

They don't drink beer warm.  Not even close. They definitely don't use much ice though.  Coke could come warm, but it is more expensive than beer so why bother.

What sort of trip are you looking for Steve?

Locals we were with were drinking the beer warm maybe it's a local area thing in Gotha. These were small outside venues.  They gave us a hard time for wrecking beer. I can't drink anything with carbination so they were giving me a hard time because they had to get water without air (carbination).

Our host was really good taking us to more of the local attractions.  Was a good time.  He spoke 7 languages saying the counties are so small he could be in different countries within a week.

@Deephaven, has some good tips.

I didn't see what season you are heading to stay.  If you are going outside of holiday time, the car option is even better.

Things are busy when everyone is on holiday.  That would make a difference in what you plan or just wing it.

Berlin is a changed city.  It may be interesting to see the new vs. old.  It wouldn't keep you interested for that length of time.  Are you staying with relatives that live in the city?  I'm inclined to ask residents before anyone from outside the area.

Traveling by car or train is relatively easy.  I wouldn't get hung up on a single form of travel.  Some of the sites will be a bear with car parking.  Some will need a car to reach easily.

My inlaws are scattered around Germany and Austria.  We go to different parts of the region each time we visit.  Food and bier are regional items.  There is quite a bit of advice about what to try.  It may not happen depending on where you travel.

BTW, Berlin is one city I have not seen yet.  My wife has been there a lot and keeps telling me it is something I have to see at least once.  Friends that lived there before and after say the same.  The comments about building a Capital city out of nothing are a recurring theme.  If you get a chance, try to see the new "zone" and further out in the "old city" region.  The contrast is dramatic and it will not last long.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, favoritos said:

@Deephaven, has some good tips.

I didn't see what season you are heading to stay.  If you are going outside of holiday time, the car option is even better.

Things are busy when everyone is on holiday.  That would make a difference in what you plan or just wing it.

Berlin is a changed city.  It may be interesting to see the new vs. old.  It wouldn't keep you interested for that length of time.  Are you staying with relatives that live in the city?  I'm inclined to ask residents before anyone from outside the area.

Traveling by car or train is relatively easy.  I wouldn't get hung up on a single form of travel.  Some of the sites will be a bear with car parking.  Some will need a car to reach easily.

My inlaws are scattered around Germany and Austria.  We go to different parts of the region each time we visit.  Food and bier are regional items.  There is quite a bit of advice about what to try.  It may not happen depending on where you travel.

BTW, Berlin is one city I have not seen yet.  My wife has been there a lot and keeps telling me it is something I have to see at least once.  Friends that lived there before and after say the same.  The comments about building a Capital city out of nothing are a recurring theme.  If you get a chance, try to see the new "zone" and further out in the "old city" region.  The contrast is dramatic and it will not last long.

I'm heading there Monday.

:bc:

59 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I'm heading there Monday.

Jesus - plan ahead much?   Lol.

I'd do the sites in Berlin in a day, if you are a huge war buff you could add a second.

Then to Prague for a day or two.  Really a killer city to stop in.

A day in Munich you can get through all the sites...and a breakfast of Weisswurst, Pretzel and a beer

A quick trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein

A day to ski in Switzerland or two

A couple days in Zurich

Some car history in Stuttgart and then return back to Berlin.  If you drive through Hanover on the way they have both a medieval and normal christmas market which is sort of fun.  Every city will have an outdoor christmas market though so I would go too far out of my way for it.

That will fill your two weeks

• Like 1

I left out Nuremberg - I know they are known for sausages, but that's it.  Haven't been there.  Same could be said about Leipzig

One other comment.  I would highly recommend buying Rick Steve's book on Germany.  It will make your visit in every city more fulfilling.  The most important parts of his book are:

-walking tours of the city

-walking tours of museums, this for me was a game changer as I have zero patience to just look I need some history to tie it in together

-locations and recommendations on where to stay.  This is Europe.  DO NOT stay in some Holiday Inn on the outskirts of town.  Stay in the center.  When in doubt stay within walking distance of the central train stations although expect that also to be the center of pick pocketing and red lighting.

If you want more details on particular sights or things in those locals...I'd say the book first, but feel free to ask.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Jesus - plan ahead much?   Lol.

I'd do the sites in Berlin in a day, if you are a huge war buff you could add a second.

Then to Prague for a day or two.  Really a killer city to stop in.

A day in Munich you can get through all the sites...and a breakfast of Weisswurst, Pretzel and a beer

A quick trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein

A day to ski in Switzerland or two

A couple days in Zurich

Some car history in Stuttgart and then return back to Berlin.  If you drive through Hanover on the way they have both a medieval and normal christmas market which is sort of fun.  Every city will have an outdoor christmas market though so I would go too far out of my way for it.

That will fill your two weeks

Funny you mention that. Usually we do. But my last trip and this one just came about at the last second. Thanks for the great ideas.

40 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Funny you mention that. Usually we do. But my last trip and this one just came about at the last second. Thanks for the great ideas.

The airfares got to pricey with the late planning.

Enjoy