Ok, here's a good question

XCR1250

If a Pickup trucks original tires are 6 ply but now using 10 ply, should the air pressure be what it says inside the door or something closer to what the tires states? 

Correction: 10 ply

Edited by XCR1250

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I'm going with the door frame spec, I'd think that the mfg matched the tires with the chassis, and factors like ride height, ride quality, GVW, etc., are all variables with each vehicle.   :dunno: 

But! The 10 plys are rated at 80 psi (max) and when I run less than 60 they make so much noise and vibrate that I can't stand it..had it in for a front end alignment at a Chevy dealership, they said the lower ball joints needed replacing and cost would be $1,000 to $1,300, so I did it myself for $40, anyhow on the way back from the Chevy garage the trucks tire pressure had been reduced to 35 psi by the Chevy dealership unknown to me, and the noise, vibration and handling was awfull so I had to stop and put in 65 psi which made it good again. BF Goodrich tires which are only a few months old.

Correction 10 ply

Edited by XCR1250

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

yes

On one of my other trucks (3/4 ton plow truck) when I did the max pressure, for the 10 ply, 80 psi, the truck would "wank" all over the road, let out 15 psi and all was good again.

Correction, also 10 ply

Edited by XCR1250

Just now, XCR1250 said:

On one of my other trucks (3/4 ton plow truck) when I did the max pressure, for the 8 ply, 85 psi, the truck would "wank" all over the road, let out 15 psi and all was good again.

This is what you have to do. I max the air pressure when towing. I run 10 plys on a Grand Cherokee. BFG KO 2 . Daily the tires are at 40psi. I had Mich AT2 on my Cammander, 45/50 psi daily and 65psi with a trailer. Some where in the 50’s psi would probably be good for your 1/2 ton. My 3/4 ton over loaded work truck,80psi rear,65 psi front. The weight of the vehicle and the load you have in it will determine the pressure to run. Off roading the GC,I air down to 18psi. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

This is what you have to do. I max the air pressure when towing. I run 10 plys on a Grand Cherokee. BFG KO 2 . Daily the tires are at 40psi. I had Mich AT2 on my Cammander, 45/50 psi daily and 65psi with a trailer. Some where in the 50’s psi would probably be good for your 1/2 ton. My 3/4 ton over loaded work truck,80psi rear,65 psi front. The weight of the vehicle and the load you have in it will determine the pressure to run. Off roading the GC,I air down to 18psi. 

Thank you..

I wish the dealership would have left them alone because as at 60-65 psi it was fine..I contacted them about it as I will need to get the alignment done now that I installed the Ball joints, it needed an alignment anyhow, it was time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

If a Pickup trucks original tires are 6 ply but now using 8 ply, should the air pressure be what it says inside the door or something closer to what the tires states? 

I always buy 10 ply for my 1/2 tons and only crank them up to full psi if going to get a real heavy load like a pallet of tile or hokking up to a heavy trailer for a long haul . But then I am also filling my air bags 

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

I always buy 10 ply for my 1/2 tons and only crank them up to full psi if going to get a real heavy load like a pallet of tile or hokking up to a heavy trailer for a long haul . But then I am also filling my air bags 

I really should look at the tires, I think they are 8 ply, maybe I put 10 ply on???? Crap, I'll look later on today.

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

But! The 8 plys are rated at 85 psi (max) and when I run less than 60 they make so much noise and vibrate that I can't stand it..had it in for a front end alignment at a Chevy dealership, they said the lower ball joints needed replacing and cost would be $1,000 to $1,300, so I did it myself for $40, anyhow on the way back from the Chevy garage the trucks tire pressure had been reduced to 35 psi by the Chevy dealership unknown to me, and the noise, vibration and handling was awfull so I had to stop and put in 65 psi which made it good again. BF Goodrich tires which are only a few months old.

65 70ish is what I run most of the time on all tge load range D I have owned over the decades.  But even when running low like 40 I have not noticed vibration that could be more of the tire it self issue

41 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

65 70ish is what I run most of the time on all tge load range D I have owned over the decades.  But even when running low like 40 I have not noticed vibration that could be more of the tire it self issue

They are BF Goodrich KO2's, load range E, 10 ply I checked just now.

Edited by XCR1250

Find the sweet spot for your application. I run 10ply duratracs on my dually that tows rvs weekly but 1/2 miles are loaded 1/2 empty. I run them at 80 psi rear 65 psi front. On my f150 hunting truck, same 10ply duratracs i air them down to 30psi and they ride  like a 6ply with the puncture resistance of the 10ply

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1