8 year cost of ownership…. EV vs ICE

BOHICA

• Gold Member
Just now, Deephaven said:

Lol.  The seats in the model 3 are miles worse than the Corolla.  Yes it has an iPad glued to the dash but otherwise the 3 is an econobox POS.

I have no complaints that you have after having a Tesla over a year and almost 25k.  With a Corolla I’m sure I would of had a trip to a dealer or 2.  

An iPad isn’t glued onto the dash.  Tesla has the best informant system in the business hands down.  It just work flawlessly.  Hit a button on the steering wheel and tell the car what you want it to do.  Corolla is awful noisy, I’ll performing cvt and 160ish hp.  Not AWD and handles like shit.

only a complete retard would compare the 2 but unsurprisingly you are….

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Chevy bolt is actually the cheapest US EV.

Nissan Leaf has a non refundable tax credit…. $7500 off MSRP.  40kwh battery and a EPA range of 149 miles.  So about 3.725 miles per kWh.  At NH average electric rate 22 cents a kwh….  That is 5.86 centers per mile.

nissan versa.  32 mpg combined 40 mpg hwy at NH average price a gallon of $3.81 it comes to around 9.5 cents per mile hwy and 12 cents per mile at the combined mpg.

NH may and do have some incentives for EV as well depending on the electric provider…

Your rates are little off you didn’t include delivery fees and taxes etc. per my bill we pay .34kwh everything included. On a leaf it says 40kwh to fully charge so about $14 to fully charge plugged into my house. They realistically get a 150 miles per charge I drive roughly 500 miles a week that’s about $46 a week to get to work in a Nissan Leaf. I fill up basically once every 4 days for $36. There is basically no difference in cost between the two to run as of right now. The difference is the 13k in the cost of the car 15k versa 27k leaf the versa is the cheaper option anyway you look at it right now. I’ve said it before I’m not against ev’s they just do not make sense for me and I’m sure a majority of America it’s getting there but it’s still a ways out before I’d even consider getting one.

oh and the bolt starts at 31k leaf is 27k per msrp on their sites 🤷‍♂️

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I have no complaints that you have after having a Tesla over a year and almost 25k.  With a Corolla I’m sure I would of had a trip to a dealer or 2.  

An iPad isn’t glued onto the dash.  Tesla has the best informant system in the business hands down.  It just work flawlessly.  Hit a button on the steering wheel and tell the car what you want it to do.  Corolla is awful noisy, I’ll performing cvt and 160ish hp.  Not AWD and handles like shit.

only a complete retard would compare the 2 but unsurprisingly you are….

My neighbors finally got their Tesla last week after a year wait. They were showing it to us and my kids loved the Christmas singing thing it does with the car flashing all the lights, opening the gas door and trunk and stuff on its own it was pretty funny. I don’t know if they all do that but that was my favorite part of it 😂. The car itself I wasn’t impressed with at all even the drive wasn’t anything special for the 70k the thing cost. Lot of other suvs I’d rather have for 70k 🤷‍♂️.

You are in at blue and since you have one. The 3 is a complete POS and the infotainment sucks donkey as well, but mostly due to the shitty integration of your phone.  Funny you don't mind the seats since even most Tesla fanbois complain about them.  Drove one on a  300mi trip and holy fuck are they bad.  Not as bad as the first s, but awful.

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Your rates are little off you didn’t include delivery fees and taxes etc. per my bill we pay .34kwh everything included. On a leaf it says 40kwh to fully charge so about $14 to fully charge plugged into my house. They realistically get a 150 miles per charge I drive roughly 500 miles a week that’s about $46 a week to get to work in a Nissan Leaf. I fill up basically once every 4 days for $36. There is basically no difference in cost between the two to run as of right now. The difference is the 13k in the cost of the car 15k versa 27k leaf the versa is the cheaper option anyway you look at it right now. I’ve said it before I’m not against ev’s they just do not make sense for me and I’m sure a majority of America it’s getting there but it’s still a ways out before I’d even consider getting one.

oh and the bolt starts at 31k leaf is 27k per msrp on their sites 🤷‍♂️

Bolt in 2023 is $26600.  And they now qualify for a $7500 tax credit.  Effective price of a bolt not including delivery or taxes is around 19,600.  Much nicer car then a $15,600 versa.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40169557/2023-chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-euv-price-decreased/

you likely have connection fees and such that are fixed fees if you use any electricity or not.  Those fees never change.  Just connection fees if you are powered by a coop are typically pretty steep but fixed no matter the use.   Would be interesting to see an electric bill.  If it is 34 cents a kwh solar payback is easily less then 3-4 years.  If some of that 34 cents are fixed fees for connection Solar payback would be longer of course.

A Bolt can go 250 miles pretty easily on a 65kwh battery on highway range…. more if it’s a slow speed combined driving.  A bit more efficient the a Leaf as well.

but if you have to pay 34 per kWh it would definetly take a long time to break even vs a Nissan Versa.

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

You are in at blue and since you have one. The 3 is a complete POS and the infotainment sucks donkey as well, but mostly due to the shitty integration of your phone.  Funny you don't mind the seats since even most Tesla fanbois complain about them.  Drove one on a  300mi trip and holy fuck are they bad.  Not as bad as the first s, but awful.

Phone integration with iPhone is great!  Phone in pocket, jump in and go, get out and it locks up.  No issues whatsoever with phone integration.   Informanent is the best in the business hands down, audio system is stellar and my trips usually around 400 miles the seats have never even been an issue.

those that seem to have complaints of the seats are typically the “large ” types…. They end up sitting and spilling over on the thigh bolsters…. The types you hope that don’t sit next to you on an airplane if you know what I mean

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Bolt in 2023 is $26600.  And they now qualify for a $7500 tax credit.  Effective price of a bolt not including delivery or taxes is around 19,600.  Much nicer car then a $15,600 versa.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40169557/2023-chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-euv-price-decreased/

you likely have connection fees and such that are fixed fees if you use any electricity or not.  Those fees never change.  Just connection fees if you are powered by a coop are typically pretty steep but fixed no matter the use.   Would be interesting to see an electric bill.  If it is 34 cents a kwh solar payback is easily less then 3-4 years.  If some of that 34 cents are fixed fees for connection Solar payback would be longer of course.

A Bolt can go 250 miles pretty easily on a 65kwh battery on highway range…. more if it’s a slow speed combined driving.  A bit more efficient the a Leaf as well.

but if you have to pay 34 per kWh it would definetly take a long time to break even vs a Nissan Versa.

Oh didn’t know price went down on them. I’m also not going for nice on a daily I go for cheapest and most reliable. I’ve posted my electric bill here before on one of these solar threads. $180.03 by 531kwh used comes to .339 (ya I rounded up to .34) a kWh unless I’m missing something or my math is wrong 😂.389D8D6B-C110-4C65-9053-54DE652BD8E0.thumb.jpeg.515f507458a97c987e44fa82a4737bfc.jpeg

Edited by 800renegaderider

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Oh didn’t know price went down on them. I’m also not going for nice on a daily I go for cheapest and most reliable. I’ve posted my electric bill here before on one of these solar threads. $180.03 by 531kwh used comes to .339 (ya I rounded up to .34) a kWh unless I’m missing something or my math is wrong 😂.389D8D6B-C110-4C65-9053-54DE652BD8E0.thumb.jpeg.515f507458a97c987e44fa82a4737bfc.jpeg

$13.81 is the constant….  Doesn’t change.  If you use 1 kwh a month or 1000 kwh a month. 

about 31 cents a kwh is what you would see added to your bill of any extra use wether it be from a toaster oven or an EV

About 8.15 cents per mile at 100% hwy speed in a Chevy Bolt…. Less per mile on combined/slower then hwy speeds.

not sure what a versa gets other then google says 40 hwy, 35 combined, 32 city

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Lol, large.  My 13 year old complained.  I am also NOT large.  Infotainment is awful, you are just stupidly biased.

I’ve owned, driven, been around many different brands of vehicles.  Once learned infotainment systems seem to be solid on most brands.

Tesla system seems to be the gold standard when it comes to honest reviews.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-beats-bmw-and-all-others-in-battle-of-infotainment-systems-134238.html

https://www.vanarama.com/blog/cars/top-5-electric-car-infotainment-systems

what didn’t you like.  Like what was wrong.  Other then the brief learn period that comes with any infotainment system what was awful about it?  If I was a betting man I would say your criticism is probably the lack of physical buttons.

I would say the worst system I have spent time with is Uconnect but that is a much earlier base model of uconnect.  You hit a button, play the final jeopardy song and then see if it changed function yet.

my only complaint of the Tesla thus far is the button to open the front doors…. The emergency releases are more natural and what everybody goes for

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
22 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

$13.81 is the constant….  Doesn’t change.  If you use 1 kwh a month or 1000 kwh a month. 

about 31 cents a kwh is what you would see added to your bill of any extra use wether it be from a toaster oven or an EV

About 8.15 cents per mile at 100% hwy speed in a Chevy Bolt…. Less per mile on combined/slower then hwy speeds.

not sure what a versa gets other then google says 40 hwy, 35 combined, 32 city

I’ve done my last 3 bills and they all come out to roughly .34kwh but yes the constant is the 13.81. 
average over 250k+ miles has been 39.7mpg 95% of my driving is 50mph on state routes with little stopping. I have seen 44mpg out of it if you really pussy it. 1.6 5 speed manual. That’s the reason I got the thing in the first place dirt cheap car and dirt cheap to run.
It’s getting close but any econo box 4 banger is likely the better buy over a ev here anyways of course unless you want to invest the money in solar or prices go insane on gas.

1E7F64F0-F8A3-40D9-B365-83F3C5159FDD.jpeg

Edited by 800renegaderider

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’ve done my last 3 bills and they all come out to roughly .34kwh but yes the constant is the 13.81. 
average over 250k+ miles has been 39.7mpg 95% of my driving is 50mph on state routes with little stopping. I have seen 44mpg out of it if you really pussy it. 1.6 5 speed manual. That’s the reason I got the thing in the first place dirt cheap car and dirt cheap to run.
It’s getting close but any econo box 4 banger is likely the better buy over a ev here anyways of course unless you want to invest the money in solar or prices go insane on gas.

1E7F64F0-F8A3-40D9-B365-83F3C5159FDD.jpeg

Bolt becomes a 300 mile car at those speeds.    5 miles per kWh.

Tesla doesn't support Android auto which destroys their stupid infotainment .  Voice recognition is shit and the flexibility of putting what you want for info on the screen sucks.  Changing between music sources is awful as well.  Deal breaker bad.

• Gold Member

Lol android auto….  Talk about audio quality that rivals listening to music underwater.  Android auto exist cause the infotainment system truely sucks that bad that you need your phone to fix the mess from the factory.

Edited by BOHICA

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Lol android auto….  Talk about audio quality that rivals listening to music underwater.  Android auto exist cause the infotainment system truely sucks that bad that you need your phone to fix the mess from the factory.

And Tesla needs it.  Sad.  

they are using the same shit to sell cars we used to sell electric lawn mowers 14 years that cost more than a car. They are also using ev that haven’t been around for 8 years. At the end of the day an ev isn’t going to save you any money. The same ev equipment now is upside down you wouldn’t burn enough fuel in the hybrid models to make up the cost difference for going to the battery model. That said Ev have their place but it isn’t an money saving, environment saving wonder they are claiming 

• Gold Member
16 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Utilization of electrical infrastructure in relation to revenue is what was compared too.  Utilization of an over the road truck is more efficient and more revenue generating in a team vs solo.  If you don’t stop the wheels from spinning at all the truck generates huge revenue stream and efficiencies vs having it idle 12-14 hours a day.  Same with an electrical grid.  The more it is utilized the more profit it generates

I don’t own a bolt or a id4 or a lightning.  Not really justifying a purchase at all and only a retard would see it that way.

AAAAAANNNNNNNDDDD  the truck will wear out twice as fast.  Dumbfucker.  The grid cannot handle this ev push.  Have you not watched any info on the current state of our grid????  Its fucked the way it is.  Now add a 100 amp service to each house for an ev.  Ya thats gonna go good.  Once again EV is not the answer.  Its not.  I don't care how many replies to this thread you can type.  Its not.  Its short sighted bandaid for a crisis that does not exist.  Sure is a good money play though if you are connected to the right people....  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, BOHICA said:

When others want to learn and ask about it why not?

Oh, my fault, I didn't realize that you didn't start this thread to talk about your Tesla....:lol::wtf:

How pathetic 

• Haha 2

My son bought a 22. Just as nice as a Tesla 3. My son lives in a apartment,so no way of charging. There is no way for him to charge at work either. He is averaging 36mpg. Oil changes are $30,so that’s $120 a year. Will probably need tires at 60k. He can do the brakes in my garage at 80k for $200. Once a year $40 for wiper blades. Much smarter purchase then a EV. https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2021/cost-to-own/

51 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My son bought a 22. Just as nice as a Tesla 3. My son lives in a apartment,so no way of charging. There is no way for him to charge at work either. He is averaging 36mpg. Oil changes are $30,so that’s $120 a year. Will probably need tires at 60k. He can do the brakes in my garage at 80k for $200. Once a year $40 for wiper blades. Much smarter purchase then a EV. https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2021/cost-to-own/

If you want to spend the rest of your adult life counting every mile, every kilowatt, have at it.

By no means am I rich but things are good enough where I won't be worrying about shit like that. I am sure there are, and that's their deal. But I sure as hell didn't work my whole life to be CONSUMED by the thought of a few hundred dollars a month.