Snowbikes are the future

AK440

The prices of sleds are out of control. The only way to bring them back into reason is to offer machines that are less expensive. How to do that? Build a snow going vehicle that uses fewer parts. A truly production based snowbike will be half the weight of a regular sled. I’m not talking the typical abortion of a converted dirt bike but a purpose built snowbike. Cat will be gaining market share once they release this machine. https://sleddermag.com/arctic-cat-snow-bike-patent/

For those that’ll claim it’ll never happen, okay boomer, no one gives a shit about your aging demographic. Those that haven’t already quit, the rest are rapidly aging out of the sport. The sled market can’t sustain selling fewer and fewer sleds every year with an average 600cc trail sled costing $14,000 and hardly any decent intro sleds coming in under $10,000. Snowbikes will lower the price of entry and appeal to younger riders who don’t care for riding from bar to restaurant to bar on groomed trails every weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb161a2e36fc90e5b0ee8cbbedc527ac.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

They are not cheaper. A new timber sled kit is 7k and a new 450 bike is 10k. Cat’s production snow bike was nothing more than a sherco with a camoplast track kit on it and they dropped like a hooker a bachelor party 

The sherco bike couldn't meet the long term emissions  requirements, which is why the 400 single and above patents exist.

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Want one?  Based upon the dust on top this brand new unit no one else did?  Saw it this afternoon.  

IMG_20221112_115042991.jpg

IMG_20221112_115050985.jpg

Jeesh I wonder why don’t think it has anything to do with that 7k price tag 😂.  Can you use those on trails or is it a off trail mainly thing?

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Jeesh I wonder why don’t think it has anything to do with that 7k price tag 😂.  Can you use those on trails or is it a off trail mainly thing?

plus the price of a bike...

IDK anywhere in WI you can use them on a trail.  Pretty deep lugs on that one.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Want one?  Based upon the dust on top this brand new unit no one else did?  Saw it this afternoon.  

IMG_20221112_115042991.jpg

IMG_20221112_115050985.jpg

Those stupid kits are not the future of this type of vehicle. I’ve seen them up close, Rube Goldberg type set ups with multiple chains, brackets and such. Turning a well balanced dirt bike that was designed for summer use into a snowmobile is a waste of time and money. They are too tall, too long and who the fuck wants to shift gears in snow boots and operated a hand clutch with winter gloves? Ever watch guys try to remount a dirt bike conversion in deep powder snow? Looks like a monkey fucking a football. Then you have the issue of the stupid things stall out as nothing coasts to well in snow and it’s very easy to lose your momentum in deep snow. 

Hopefully Cat releases their patented snowbike design and really shakes up the market. 

8 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

snowbikes?

chris-rock-slap-will-smith-slap.gif

BRP, Cat and Polaris sell brand new sleds for under $10K  ;)

So are you and your buddies running down to the dealer to buy an under $10,000 Blast? Or maybe you are picking up an INDY 550 or is the EVO more your speed? I hear the NEO looks nice and rides like a champ with its missing center shock. 

Cat could have this market all to themselves and they already have a great motor in the 400 for this application. Snowbikes are way more capable than the current $15,000-$20,000+ 850, 900R and turbocharged mountain sleds being offered.

• Gold Member
13 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Those stupid kits are not the future of this type of vehicle. I’ve seen them up close, Rube Goldberg type set ups with multiple chains, brackets and such. Turning a well balanced dirt bike that was designed for summer use into a snowmobile is a waste of time and money. They are too tall, too long and who the fuck wants to shift gears in snow boots and operated a hand clutch with winter gloves? Ever watch guys try to remount a dirt bike conversion in deep powder snow? Looks like a monkey fucking a football. Then you have the issue of the stupid things stall out as nothing coasts to well in snow and it’s very easy to lose your momentum in deep snow. 

Hopefully Cat releases their patented snowbike design and really shakes up the market. 

So are you and your buddies running down to the dealer to buy an under $10,000 Blast? Or maybe you are picking up an INDY 550 or is the EVO more your speed? I hear the NEO looks nice and rides like a champ with its missing center shock. 

Cat could have this market all to themselves and they already have a great motor in the 400 for this application. Snowbikes are way more capable than the current $15,000-$20,000+ 850, 900R and turbocharged mountain sleds being offered.

And how much do you think this cat snow bike will cost? I mean they want 9-10k for a blast so I’d guess in that range? Would I pay 9-10k for that snow bike no I’d rather buy a sport 600efi actual snowmobile for the 9-10k if I had to go new in that price range.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fortune46x said:

The snowbike thing is a odd duck. Most states define what a snowmobile is based off brakes, ski count etc. I know here in Iowa the DNR leaves it up to the clubs that put the trails together and most say no.

That's true for the kits added to an existing bike, but AC met all snowmobile requirements in the US and Canada for the sherco version, and the never to be produced patented one  (that was ready to go when textron bought ac)to be registered as a snowmobile. Including having the brake mounted to the left hand bar.

IMHO if they released them back when they hype was building, they would have sold more of them than they have of the blast.

Edited by krom

10 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

And how much do you think this cat snow bike will cost? I mean they want 9-10k for a blast so I’d guess in that range? Would I pay 9-10k for that snow bike no I’d rather buy a sport 600efi actual snowmobile for the 9-10k if I had to go new in that price range.

you're prob 20 years older than the target audience....

5 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

The target is 15yr olds?  Thanks now I know how boomers feel being called old farts 😂

guess you just act like an old man..

target market would be 16-30 year olds

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AK440 said:

what you are asking for... let's first ask who the fuck would want one?  I can assure you Textron, Polaris & BRP aren't going to spend a plug nickel on that pipe dream because they are corporations whose aim it is to make $ first and foremost, not to amuse people with something whimsical.  I can't imagine the average unhealthy (fat and uncoordinated) Northern Wisco, UP rider coming half jagged up out of a bar, slinging a leg over your cartoon drawing and heading down the tree lined twisty trail.  most of the tools I see riding can barely handle two skis and a 15" wide track. 

there's entry level sleds and performance sleds.  like cars... you can buy a Chevy Spark for $14k or a Z06 Corvette for $154k  no one is holding a gun to anyones head to pay $20k for a sled, $40k for a side by side or $100k for a toy car.   

have you considered building your own contraption prototype to prove the concept and see if there's interest from other riders or a manufacturer?  let me give you some financial advise... don't!   :roflcrying:

Dave (Exo Sled) is actually a friend of mine from Quebec who I've worked on a major project with in the past.  Unless you can ride off trail the vast majority of the time, don't bother.  his front end kit is cheaper than that tinker toy timbersled conversion.  

7 hours ago, fortune46x said:

The snowbike thing is a odd duck. Most states define what a snowmobile is based off brakes, ski count etc. I know here in Iowa the DNR leaves it up to the clubs that put the trails together and most say no.

I've seen them live in action, falling and crashing with you and @Not greg b at the SX track with skilled riders aboard.  Can't imagine the average knucklehead lasting long on one in most scenarios without breaking himself or the machine.  Definitely not for 'the masses'

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

what you are asking for... let's first ask who the fuck would want one?  I can assure you Textron, Polaris & BRP aren't going to spend a plug nickel on that pipe dream because they are corporations whose aim it is to make $ first and foremost, not to amuse people with something whimsical.  I can't imagine the average unhealthy (fat and uncoordinated) Northern Wisco, UP rider coming half jagged up out of a bar, slinging a leg over your cartoon drawing and heading down the tree lined twisty trail.  most of the tools I see riding can barely handle two skis and a 15" wide track. 

there's entry level sleds and performance sleds.  like cars... you can buy a Chevy Spark for $14k or a Z06 Corvette for $154k  no one is holding a gun to anyones head to pay $20k for a sled, $40k for a side by side or $100k for a toy car.   

have you considered building your own contraption prototype to prove the concept and see if there's interest from other riders or a manufacturer?  let me give you some financial advise... don't!   :roflcrying:

Dave (Exo Sled) is actually a friend of mine from Quebec who I've worked on a major project with in the past.  Unless you can ride off trail the vast majority of the time, don't bother.  his front end kit is cheaper than that tinker toy timbersled conversion.  

I saw that fucked up abortion in action on YouTube years ago. All that work to make a normal sled perform worse than it did originally.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's also this @AK440

idk what you're so bitter about with sled prices... no one needs a sled.  it's a toy ffs.

I’ve watched the review on that retarded mobility scooter with one of the Lester’s waxing poetic about how everyone needs a $7,000 yard toy. People in the comments ask “What about the lack of a seat?” And the middle aged Lester is like “You don’t get it. You’ve never ridden one! You don’t need a seat. Standing is fun. Everyone needs three of four of these to ride in their yard because they aren’t worth a shit to ride more than a mile on a regular trail.”

image.jpeg.b59458fe497e32177aaecf98f28145f3.jpeg

No fucking thanks!

That patented Cat snowbike would be priced less than a regular performance sled. I see it coming in well under $10,000. With mass production on their modern assembly line there is no reason it should cost more than $7,000. Regular people could actually afford to by a pair of them and they’d both fit in the back of any pickup truck. That’s what I want, a mass produced, factory build snowbike that isn’t a converted dirt bike. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:08 PM, AK440 said:

The prices of sleds are out of control. The only way to bring them back into reason is to offer machines that are less expensive. How to do that? Build a snow going vehicle that uses fewer parts. A truly production based snowbike will be half the weight of a regular sled. I’m not talking the typical abortion of a converted dirt bike but a purpose built snowbike. Cat will be gaining market share once they release this machine. https://sleddermag.com/arctic-cat-snow-bike-patent/

For those that’ll claim it’ll never happen, okay boomer, no one gives a shit about your aging demographic. Those that haven’t already quit, the rest are rapidly aging out of the sport. The sled market can’t sustain selling fewer and fewer sleds every year with an average 600cc trail sled costing $14,000 and hardly any decent intro sleds coming in under $10,000. Snowbikes will lower the price of entry and appeal to younger riders who don’t care for riding from bar to restaurant to bar on groomed trails every weekend.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb161a2e36fc90e5b0ee8cbbedc527ac.jpeg

No cheaper than a sled after you buy the bike the kit the center shock the motor blanket the diverted  and bars for warm bars the recluse clutch kit . Then unless you ride 98% in deep  snow worthless . Just a reality 

But that said they are fun as fuckin the right snow and just unbearable in the wrong snow .

I know almost no one who has a bike who dose not also have a sled 

And your boomer comment I am not a boomer but the reality is I know 5 guys who are deep in boomer territory who have bikes . They run them because they take less effort to use and would have stoped ridding by now if not for the ez of the bikes . 

Edited by Ez ryder