Togwotee advice for a flatlander

Some people are trying to talk me into a trip to Wyoming this winter, and I've never snowmobiled above 1,350' ASL.  I'm trying to decide whether I can prepare ahead of time.  

For those who have ridden in the mountains, what are your thoughts?  Is there anything I should do to prepare, other than increase my alcohol tolerance?  Sounds like we'll be renting machines, so I don't have to worry about that.

My only "experience" with mountain riding was when my cousin's son rode out of Togwotee a few years ago and was killed in an avalanche.  Would like to avoid the same fate, if possible.  There's an old saying in aviation, "there are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots".

Edited by p51mstg

Drink a lot of water and Gatorade week or more before and always drink plenty when there!

also start getting some good cardio walks going couple weeks before!!

rode out of brooks few years ago.had place to ourselves!!!we planned our trip during hillclimb so we could hit that one day!

like to get back out again someday?

everyone needs to ride out there at least once!!

if you have time ride down to brooks for lunch!!!

A26210CF-EF47-4EA2-BB1B-A2254C2D890D.jpeg

57D7BF64-CD7D-49F4-8EAE-2A91772F6710.jpeg

Edited by X2700
  • Like 2

Like X2700 has mentioned, drink lots of water for at least a week before.  Expect some oxygen deprivation the first couple days, it takes the body some time to adjust.  If you're going with a bunch of guys who've never been, rent a guide to show you around.  Most will keep it within your ability level, and teach you tricks to get unstuck.  There are a dozen concepts and tricks that will save you a ton of energy getting unstuck.  Make sure someone packs a sled to sled Sno bunje, amazing little tool to help you get unstuck.  Make sure you have a shovel and an avalanche beacon if you're getting up in the hills, you can rent them at the lodge.  If you're bringing your own sled, check your clutching specs, most sleds will benefit from from some tuning there.  Take a million pictures, the scenery has to be seen to be appreciated.  :bc:   *wished I had more pics on this computer lol

1918326_1260615165984_366717_n.jpg

49896990_10218538076073142_1076276129582546944_n (1).jpg

• Like 2

Sleeping at 9400' takes awhile to get used too!!!

I think togwotee is about 8500'?

Luckily enough to go with friends of the guides!!went places that made me wonder if I was going to make it back!!

55A00918-6AEF-4E5C-9C98-D3F80D5A2329.jpeg

60EB787E-F4F7-4039-8D64-37C11F3EFE3C.jpeg

50DA523B-E41A-400B-BEBE-EF06A7A1D0E0.jpeg

0D34026F-154F-4BEA-A110-BC13A230C7D2.jpeg

Edited by X2700
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Sleeping at 9400' takes awhile to get used too!!!

I think togwotee is about 8500'?

Luckily enough to go with friends of the guides!!went places that made me wonder if I was going to make it back!!

55A00918-6AEF-4E5C-9C98-D3F80D5A2329.jpeg

60EB787E-F4F7-4039-8D64-37C11F3EFE3C.jpeg

50DA523B-E41A-400B-BEBE-EF06A7A1D0E0.jpeg

0D34026F-154F-4BEA-A110-BC13A230C7D2.jpeg

I remember sittin out in front of the Cowboy Bar burning a J bird with a buddy and marveling at just how awesome the area was.  We were there a week after the hillclimbs, would love to go back and watch that some time.  :bc: 

• Like 1

I know most don't go out to ride trails but they have some beautiful trails at least the little i seen of them!!!

Gas seems like could be a problem when trail riding.Gas stops far and few between!!

Like to get back out just to check them out closer!!One thing i do know is you don't want to miss a corner on some that i rode!!

Edited by X2700
  • Like 1

If you are new out there and with a guide, I don't think they'll put you into situations where you need to be concerned with avalanches. But you will have your transponders.

The drinking water thing is no joke. You almost need to work at it the first couple days to keep drinking water. Last time I was there I didn't and ended up getting sick at night. 

You mentioned building up alcohol tolerance - I haven't been out there for awhile but off trail riding in altitude takes it out of me. I was usually worn out after dinner and drink all that much.

• Like 1

Yeah fuck the Midwest tourist trap and the grid you guide is keeping you in . Go to alpine .

More rental units more and much better food . Great you want see 50 MN plates and 40wi plates in the overflow lot but what ever

Brp is flipping the bill for avalanch classes again this yr . I don't know if Duffy is teaching them or who is . But call around and go .

Make real fucking sure your buddy's know how to use there equpment and test them on the knolage before you even go out day 1!  Bury  your transponder then walk up and say OK every one you have 2 min to find me I am burred . And sit there and watch . That will give you a pretty good indication of who has there head in there ass and what you need to do to protect your self .

Start some at least light cardio . Especaly if staying in the Midwest tourist trap . Just hauling your bags up the stars at that lodge can wind guys not prepared.  

Don't be a pussy don't let off  no matter what. instincts of a Dimond pounder is to hit the break if you think you are going to hit somthing . Don't do it hammer down and lean .  If you think you are stuck you are not pin it and shake it jump side to side keep shaking till you are out . When you start loosing momentum turn out .

And again DONT LET OFF THE GAS ! You are fucking your self and your buddy's.  Now you did now you are tired and are likely to ride like a timed pussy and the cycle is repetitive from then on out .

Think of the sled as a brush mower if you think you can cut it with a HD brush mower your sled can and will go over it and use it for traction to boot 

Don't get to close to large pines with branches in the snow . 

Bring 4 pr of gloves every day put all your shit in super size zip locks then put that in super size zip locks .

Don't dress like you are pounding Dimond use 1,/2 of that shit or less .

I typically ride in shell bibs and fleece PJ bottoms.  Oh bring some ass paper and if you have to shit make a few circles park on your packed trail and hold that bumper lol 

It is pretty eye opening seeing what a sled is really capable of in person the first time . 

I say one of the best things you can do is get behind your guid as often as poss  and watch what he is doing with his body in that particular  situation. 

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Like 4

Oh #1 

You are spending a lot of time and money  

Don't be a idiot and get loaded the night before going out . You can do that shit at home every day . You think a hangover is bad at elevation try it at 10k feet  

I have seen plenty of pro drinkers vomiting off there sled and even watched one have to clean out his helmet . 

And if with any one like me ZERO sympathy . All I will do is hand you a map draw you a line and say see you tonight thanks again for fucking up every one's else's day 

• Like 2

I was joking about alcohol tolerance, just like I do when I talk to guys about getting ready for ice fishing.  I'll try not to throw up on your boots if we cross paths.

As for avalanche training, hadn't thought of that - thank you!  Looks like Ski Doo has free videos on their web site and Country Cat is offering a class in December.  Even if I can attend the class, I'll take a look at Ski Doo's videos.  That's really good advice.

I'm sure it will be a good time.  Thanks for everyone's advice!

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

I was joking about alcohol tolerance, just like I do when I talk to guys about getting ready for ice fishing.  I'll try not to throw up on your boots if we cross paths.

As for avalanche training, hadn't thought of that - thank you!  Looks like Ski Doo has free videos on their web site and Country Cat is offering a class in December.  Even if I can attend the class, I'll take a look at Ski Doo's videos.  That's really good advice.

I'm sure it will be a good time.  Thanks for everyone's advice!

Looks like there is one in Cannon Falls early December and Aitkin on Nov 28 too, wasn't sure what parts of MN you are at.

Edited by Sled_Hed
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 4:33 PM, Sled_Hed said:

Looks like there is one in Cannon Falls early December and Aitkin on Nov 28 too, wasn't sure what parts of MN you are at.

I’d be coming from the Deer River area, and Aitkin would be closer.  Where’s that seminar at, Farm Island?  I couldn’t find any events listed on their FB or web pages.

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

I’d be coming from the Deer River area, and Aitkin would be closer.  Where’s that seminar at, Farm Island?  I couldn’t find any events listed on their FB or web pages.

It's at 40 club.

Screenshot_20221117-094835_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold Member

First thing to do is get some 509 or burandt or sled neck videos. Then attempt to replicate those videos especially with rental sleds.  Don’t give up….  If the vid or helmet cam looks ridiculous you just need a lot more speed.  Don’t be afraid to pin it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

First thing to do is get some 509 or burandt or sled neck videos. Then attempt to replicate those videos especially with rental sleds.  Don’t give up….  If the vid or helmet cam looks ridiculous you just need a lot more speed.  Don’t be afraid to pin it!

Our group of 4 broke 2 rental 600 cats the year we were there.  They gave us 800s for replacements.  :lol: 

• 4 weeks later...

Trip Report:

Drinking water seems to have worked well, no altitude sickness (so far).  Still can’t walk 100 feet in my gear without getting winded.  Swore off alcohol.  Most of the guys had drinks, I didn’t.  I’ll make it up when I ice fish at 1200ft asl back home.

Trails are awesome, except when we got lost and found ourselves on the snowmobile equivalent of a goat path.  Scenery incredible.  Rode to Brooks Lodge one day for lunch, cool place, owner/operator lady gave us the rundown on its history.  Someone rode a 80’s Jag to the lodge, not sure why.  No off trail riding for me this trip, just trails.

Met some tourists one day who slid off the trail by accident.  They had no idea where they were, had open face helmets and didn’t seem to know anything about snowmobiles.  I’m shocked that whomever rented them a snowmobile let them go without a minimum level of preparation.  Maybe they were idiots who refused when offered, cuz that’s what they looked like.  We helped them get unstuck and gave them a little trail riding advice.  I doubt that was their last adventure.

In summary, thanks to everyone for your input and advice.  There is no way to describe this area, incredible.  I understand why snowmobilers will do almost anything to ride out here.

Edited by p51mstg
  • Like 2