Off the wall problem

OK I know this isn't current events, but not sure where to put this! I have a Craftsman 33 gallon air compressor. Today I needed to use my cut off tool which I have never had a problem with. Built pressure and as soon as I put the cut off tool on the screw, it would barely move! OK did a bit of troubleshooting, cut off tool went bad....Down to the store I go new one in hand. Back to garage same problem. OK compressor not putting out what gauges says. Ended up replacing output valve. Cut off tool back on, same issue. I can put my finger on it and it slows down? Any Ideas? I have no way of measuring outcoming air pressure. but to me, It doesn't seem right. I can put my finger over the air chuck and stop the air? Don't think this is right? Any input? even if gauge was bad, still shouldn't be able to stop it completely with my finger?????????????

If you can hold your finger over the chuck and stop the air your line pressure gauge isn't reading correctly. Sounds odd but the regulator isn't allowing full line pressure.Can you manually try increasing the line pressure to max or is it there already? Do you blow the tank down for moisture regularly?

Yeah sometimes those regulators have a porous screen in them and that'll clog with shit and it'll make your pressure look right but flow will suck. We used to remove them before we installed new ones for gas lift systems and such. A flat head screwdriver and a hammer will knock it loose.

10 hours ago, SHADOSPRIT said:

OK I know this isn't current events, but not sure where to put this! I have a Craftsman 33 gallon air compressor. Today I needed to use my cut off tool which I have never had a problem with. Built pressure and as soon as I put the cut off tool on the screw, it would barely move! OK did a bit of troubleshooting, cut off tool went bad....Down to the store I go new one in hand. Back to garage same problem. OK compressor not putting out what gauges says. Ended up replacing output valve. Cut off tool back on, same issue. I can put my finger on it and it slows down? Any Ideas? I have no way of measuring outcoming air pressure. but to me, It doesn't seem right. I can put my finger over the air chuck and stop the air? Don't think this is right? Any input? even if gauge was bad, still shouldn't be able to stop it completely with my finger?????????????

Air hose delaminating on the inside?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Remove the line from the compressor to the tank/regulator, see if you can still hold it back with your finger. Directly from the compressor.

Yes I can, little more difficult than at the end of the hose but I can at the compressor. Stopped bought a new regulator today. Swapped it out but still doesn't seem to have the output it should. When I swapped out the regulator, I turned on the compressor and it seems to be producing the proper pressure. As soon as I put on the regulator, it seems to drop drastically. 2-3 bad regulators? all from different stores?

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 hours ago, SHADOSPRIT said:

I empty tank every night i do it out the bottom. There is a ball valve, seem to get great pressure out of that. Can't block that with my finger like I can tje output...

Change the output fitting