U.S. home prices could fall as much as 20% next year

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Joe already knocked damn near 30% out of our retirement funds in the last year, might as well do the same to our property too.

Everything is overvalued. Time for a good old fashion deflationary cycle. 

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Joe already knocked damn near 30% out of our retirement funds in the last year, might as well do the same to our property too.

We pulled every bit of our 401ks out during the first drop of Covid, put it into  a value fund.

We haven't made more than $1,000 over the past 2 years, but I ain't lost a red cent.

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

It's only 20%. Sheesh

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

cash in hand to buy some land... ;)

Depends on what you mean by "land."   Its not going to drop 20% around here.   Not even remotely close.   

Prices will drop but low inventory in some areas will keep that in check. 

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

Depends on what you mean by "land."   Its not going to drop 20% around here.   Not even remotely close.   

I agree, it may drop 20% in metro areas where people are leaving like California but even that's a reach. We are not in a mortgage/housing crisis like 2008. It's amazing how many people believe housing is going to crash just because it did in the last recession.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

I agree, it may drop 20% in metro areas where people are leaving like California but even that's a reach. We are not in a mortgage/housing crisis like 2008. It's amazing how many people believe housing is going to crash just because it did in the last recession.

Yep....not as many available lots, homes or bare land.   Inventory around here is low.   Yes lots of boomers going to be retiring but most that do it around here keep there home and go south for 3-4 months of the winter.   If they do sell their home to move into a condo great but there just isn't that many available to keep something here. 

2 minutes ago, gravy davey said:

Excellent when will everything else come back to reality?

Regardless of an existing "housing shortage" it always comes to to affordability and what the market will bear. As interest rates increase housing prices will have to come down for reasons related to affordability. IMO that's about to happen because sales have stalled. I bought my home for a reasonable price in 2017. Sold both it and my rentals at a market high. I've been sitting on the cash closely watching the market. There's definitely increased pressure on the high prices. 

5 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Regardless of an existing "housing shortage" it always comes to to affordability and what the market will bear. As interest rates increase housing prices will have to come down for reasons related to affordability. IMO that's about to happen because sales have stalled. I bought my home for a reasonable price in 2017. Sold both it and my rentals at a market high. I've been sitting on the cash closely watching the market. There's definitely increased pressure on the high prices. 

You're funny. I was just at a customer's house this morning doing some work and they just sold their 40 yr. old ranch home. They listed it for $230,000 and had 16 offers and sold it to the highest bidder for $258,000. 

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You're funny. I was just at a customer's house this morning doing some work and they just sold their 40 yr. old ranch home. They listed it for $230,000 and had 16 offers and sold it to the highest bidder for $258,000. 

I’m watching several properties that have been on the market over 30 days. Highly desirable country homes. No sales. I’m very patient. :)